'I don't rate India a long-term No.1'

Harishan

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Fair call from Chappell. The battle for the number 1 test spot is very tight at the moment and as quite a few people before mentioned there is no 'definite number one test side'. India do have the depth in their side to become a good all round team, obviously they have a world class batting lineup and seamers who are capable of good things (in the right conditions) and some more than handy spinners. And at the moment we do have a good leader in Dhoni who has lead the team from the front very well.

Two years ago we had very bright hopes after seeing Ishant and Zaheer Khan form a pretty lethal new ball partnership, backed up with exciting bowlers in Irfan Pathan, Sreesanth and RP Singh. At that time it looked as though we had finally found ourselves a world class bowling attack but it's got all downhill from there, Ishant has been brought back down to earth after a solid series against Aus after making Ricky Ponting 'look ordinary' while Irfan's career really has been side tracked.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
I reckon Australia had the better team, but India put in several inspired performances. It's hard to separate the two teams, I'd say India upset Australia to have such an even record.

11 matches were played in India and 8 in Australia. So maybe we should go 1999-2008?

In which chase, Australia was the better side? A few of India's wins were dead rubbers.

There's a lot of things to consider.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
In which chase, Australia was the better side? A few of India's wins were dead rubbers.
I've already addressed the dead rubber point and shown why it is mostly irrelevant. And anyways, India has only won one dead rubber match since the 1999 series, the same number that Australia has won against India in that time period. So if you're going to discount that Indian victory, you have to decrement the Australian count as well.

There's a lot of things to consider.
Consider this. In the last 15 years, Australia has played in 53 Test series'. It has won 42 of these series' and drawn 3 (NZL, WIN, IND). Of the 8 series' it has lost, it has lost to India 4 times, England 2 times and South Africa and Sri Lanka once. So to claim that Australia hasn't been the most challenged by India in recent times is a bit irresponsible.

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
Actually, you have no idea about that either. What makes your imaginative musings any more accurate than mine? I'd say the fact that Warnie got smashed at 62.55 at home against the Indians is a pretty good reason to assume that he wouldn't be all that successful.
I never said that he would dominate or anything. All I said is that he probably wouldn't do bad and 65 is bad. I just don't think it be the same. Just my opinion.
As someone mentioned earlier, India was missing Tendulkar in 2 of the 4 Tests in the 2004 series. We've never really had a star bowler. But the point I am making is that if Australia is losing all their players just prior to a series against India, that's not India's fault. The fitness of a player is equally important to how good they are. A legend of a player is no good if they're injured during all the big match-ups.
Its not India's fault but neither is it Australia's. Actually Australia is one of and was one of the fittest teams in world cricket. Shane Warne and Mcgrath were actually usually playing throughout almost every international game in the decade(apart from that time Warne got banned). Mcgrath was actually pretty lucky injurywise. Its just they werent there during India went they came to australia most of the time.
You still ignored my point. How many dead rubbers had Australia lost in that historical context. Since you don't want to find out, I'll do it for you. In the last 13 dead rubbers Australia had played prior to that Indian series--the number of those matches in this decade (against opposition such as England, South Africa, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, etc.)--Australia had won 9. So it's not as if they just gave up on the dead rubber games.
They don't give up but if you are saying that the era scorecard of how well Australia played was 9-4 which meant they won a tiny bit more than half their games you couldn't be more wrong.
Finally, the summary that the 2-1 series was firmly Australia's because the only game India won was a dead rubber is inaccurate. Don't forget that at Chennai a blistering Sehwag and a line-up consisting of Dravid, Laxman and Ganguly (batting down to number 7 with Irfan Pathan) had 210 runs to chase on the final day before rain washed it all out.
210 runs on the final day is never easy. Remember Sehwag made a name for himself back then for giving away his wicket. In fact 210 is about 50-50 in any chase with two well matched teams on a 5th day.
If you claim that Warne would have dominated the Indians, then I'll go ahead and claim that the Indian line-up would have dominated the Aussies in that chase and won the match to eventually tie up the series 2-2.
Show me where I said Warne would have dominated India?

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
In 2003 your batting was at its peak with Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Martyn, S.Waugh, Gilchrist and you had McGill, Lee and Gillespie in the bowling department. McGill has tons of wickets against most sides as well and Aussies rated him highly.
Gillespie was at his peak as well and he was as good as any bowler back then. I don`t think any other side would`ve challenged even the above mentioned side. And the Indian pace attack now is far better than 2003/4. We had Nehra, Agarkar and a debutant Irfan in the test lineup then. Zaheer got injured after taking a 5er at the GABBA. I could easily pick on that one. 2003/04, Australia were at their peak.

You still had Hayden, Gilly and Lee in the 2007/08 series and that side was thrashing teams other than India around. It takes nothing away from the fact that India have been the most successful side against Australia in the past decade or so. I don`t remember SL,Pakistan or NZ winning a single game against Australia all these years. SA could`nt beat them till 2008/09. People still claim how great SA`s win over Australia was. Noone talks about Hayden`s career declining or Lee getting injured in that series.

Correct, India has been the most successful side against Australia. I made my original post when the argument was that India hadn't challenged Australia, at their peak. Now I don't think that's true, India have at least challenged Australia at their peak, but I still say that at their peak, Australia was fairly clearly a better side. That's what my figures were intended to show. And that India has been lucky to avoid the 2 best players. Maybe I'm being too picky about 'peak', but I like having the 2 best players before trying to prove that a team is at their peak.

Actually, you have no idea about that either. What makes your imaginative musings any more accurate than mine? I'd say the fact that Warnie got smashed at 62.55 at home against the Indians is a pretty good reason to assume that he wouldn't be all that successful.

I don't know where you are getting 62.55 from. This page suggests Warne's average in India is 43.11:
Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com
And even that average is inflated a bit due to the lack of support in that legendary 97/98 - he was a one man band. Gavin Robertson was the other spinner, Kasprowicz led the pace bowlers with Adam Dale as support. Warne was quickly worn (:doh) down.
To prove, here's Warne's averages in India:
with McGrath: 6 Tests, 24 wickets @ 38.58
without McGrath ('97/98): 3 Tests, 10 wickets @ 54.00
Still not awesome with McGrath, but a darn sight better than that 97/98 tour indicated. I'll be the first to admit that India is his worst venue - but he wasn't HELLISHLY BAD, like Joe Average cricket fan thinks.

As someone mentioned earlier, India was missing Tendulkar in 2 of the 4 Tests in the 2004 series. We've never really had a star bowler. But the point I am making is that if Australia is losing all their players just prior to a series against India, that's not India's fault. The fitness of a player is equally important to how good they are. A legend of a player is no good if they're injured during all the big match-ups.

Fair point. It's not India's fault, but it is still lucky that they've avoided Australia's best 2 players more than Australia has avoided India's best player. Example? Tendulkar's much lauded record v Australia. Exactly 2 of his 10 centuries v Australia came in against a team featuring both Warne and McGrath... Ridiculous - given they were all current players for over 10 years, yet he managed to avoid McGrath in particular a lot. That's not his fault, but it's good fortune.

You still ignored my point. How many dead rubbers had Australia lost in that historical context. Since you don't want to find out, I'll do it for you. In the last 13 dead rubbers Australia had played prior to that Indian series--the number of those matches in this decade (against opposition such as England, South Africa, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, etc.)--Australia had won 9. So it's not as if they just gave up on the dead rubber games.

And to play devil's advocate. The only LIVE Tests Australia lost between Oct 1999 up until that 2004 India series were the 2 India Tests in 2001, and in Adelaide in 2003/04. All their other losses were in dead rubbers: v England in 2001, v SA in 2001/02, v Eng in 2002/03, v WI in 2003 then v India in 2004. So they lost 5 dead rubbers Test. They only lost 8 in TOTAL!!

To be clear, Australia's record in Tests: Oct 1999 - end of India tour 2004:
I count 18 dead rubbers: 5 Losses.
I count 43 Live tests: 3 Losses.
And if I just include the series with those dead rubber losses - In the live Tests: 13 Tests, 12 Wins, 1 Draw (the Chennai match - which MIGHT have turned into an Aussie loss)
They played well in dead rubbers sure - but only because they were so awesome to start with they couldn't play THAT much worse.

Finally, the summary that the 2-1 series was firmly Australia's because the only game India won was a dead rubber is inaccurate.

I know what you are saying. The series was much closer than the result. I agree. BUT THE LAST TEST WAS STILL DEAD.

Last edited:

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I don't know where you are getting 62.55 from. This page suggests Warne's average in India is 43.11:
And even that average is inflated a bit due to the lack of support in that legendary 97/98 - he was a one man band. Gavin Robertson was the other spinner, Kasprowicz led the pace bowlers with Adam Dale as support. Warne was quickly worn () down.

sifter, you make a few too many excuses. no support? what like murali, for his entire career? who was not available when robertson played?

that's like saying "I mean, oh man, india got beat with some crappy pace bowlers, but if they had had wasim and waqar they'd have hammered australia"

I mean, your stats are completely hand picked into irrelevancey.

StinkyBoHoon added 14 Minutes and 43 Seconds later...

for the record, robertson comfortably out bowled warne that series.

Last edited:

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
And even that average is inflated a bit due to the lack of support in that legendary 97/98 - he was a one man band. Gavin Robertson was the other spinner, Kasprowicz led the pace bowlers with Adam Dale as support. Warne was quickly worn (:doh) down.
To prove, here's Warne's averages in India:
with McGrath: 6 Tests, 24 wickets @ 38.58
without McGrath ('97/98): 3 Tests, 10 wickets @ 54.00
Still not awesome with McGrath, but a darn sight better than that 97/98 tour indicated. I'll be the first to admit that India is his worst venue - but he wasn't HELLISHLY BAD, like Joe Average cricket fan thinks.

Shane Warne was hellishly bad against India. There can be no argument against that. In 2001, he came with a bowling lineup consisting of McGrath,Gillespie with Brett Lee the XIIth man for the Aussies during that tour (that is how strong your attack was in 2001). Yet, he could`nt manage to win the series for Australia when Collin Miller almost did the same in that epic Chennai test fourth innings. In 97/98, Adam Dale was`nt playing at Chennai or Kolkata where you lost. Damien Fleming, Kasparowiscz and Paul Reifel were, along with Gavin Robertson as the 2nd spinner. You just had McGrath missing in 97/98. To add to it, India had no Kumble in 2001 in that epic series but still won. Kumble was arguably our biggest matchwinner at home and Srinath got injured as well (he was our best seamer back then).

Last edited:

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
Shane Warne was hellishly bad against India. There can be no argument against that. In 2001, he came with a bowling lineup consisting of McGrath,Gillespie and Lee in the bench.

Well no wonder we lost! our best players were on the bench! :D

It's not the point that Chappel was talking about. He was talking about that India didn't challenge Australia for the number 1 ranking and that is a true fact.

Amiya

Panel of Selectors
Well no wonder we lost! our best players were on the bench! :D

It's not the point that Chappel was talking about. He was talking about that India didn't challenge Australia for the number 1 ranking and that is a true fact.

I don't think that any aussie will accept that whatsoever.

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
One decent pacer to partner Zak and it will do India a world of good. And I want that decent pacer to be Sreesanth. And Ishant can be the third pacer of the team. What a team it would be, if these guys click and sustain form

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
We'll prove Ian Chappell wrong: Dhoni

We'll prove Ian Chappell wrong: Dhoni

India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni on Wednesday hit out at former Australia skipper Ian Chappell for his comments that India does not have champion bowlers to sustain their No 1 Test status.

Dhoni defended his bowlers and said Chappell was unnecessarily harsh in his judgement.

"It is not a fair statement. I agree that our bowlers are struggling now. But we have become the Test No 1 not only due to our batting, but because our bowlers also did their jobs well," he said.

He said just because the bowlers struggled a bit doesn't mean they have become pedestrian overnight.

"Sometimes batsmen struggle and sometimes bowlers. It is not fair to say that we don't have good bowlers. We will prove it (that we can sustain the Test No 1 status)," he added.

Sri Lankan captain Kumar Sangakkara also sided with Dhoni and said India have top-class bowlers in pacer Zaheer Khan and off-spinner Harbhajan Singh.

"Of course, India has top-class bowlers. Zaheer is one of the best fast bowlers in the world and Harbhajan is top-class. Even S Sreesanth can bowl the reverse swing," said Sangakkara.

"There are always critics and doubters but it is your job to prove them wrong," he added.

Chappell had earlier said that he did not rate India a long-term No 1 team because they lacked at least two champion bowlers.

Source- Rediff Cricket

Over the top as always, Ian! :sarcasm

Chetan0304

Chairman of Selectors
Most disgusting and disgraceful moment in cricket, remember?

Hint :Chappal brothers ;)

Haha just kidding :D

Highlander999

ICC President
TBH, I would rate Chappell's opinion as having more substance then Dhoni who is hardly going to slag his own team off......

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Dhoni is just saying what he has to. He can't agree with Chappell... Chappell is right for the most part but our bowlers aren't as bad in test cricket as they are in ODI cricket. Our main problem in ODI cricket is unnecessarily leaking runs. We don't face that same problem in test cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread