Ian Chappell's controversial Baggy Green opinion

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
In this month's issue of The Cricketer magazine there is an interview with Ian Chappell. His comments on the famous Baggy Green cap were surprising to me:

"It's a five-dollar piece of cloth. I know of at least four Australian captains who don't even have one."

However, he does then add:

"But you can only get one if you've played Test cricket for Australia. That means something."

That's not the full quote, by the way, I've cut some out. To read the full quote you'll have to buy the magazine, and it's worth it for the rest of the interview too.

Now I know that receiving a Test cap, physically, is a huge moment for a cricketer and is really symbolic. So Chappell's comments might be quite controversial.

What do you think? Is too much fanfare made around the Baggy Green?

karolkarol

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Ireland (Cricket)
Each to their own I suppose, personally speaking an international cap in any sport would mean a lot to me. Obviously not old Rent-A-Mouth though. Botham should have hit him harder.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Why does a player kiss his helmet when he makes a century, its just a piece of metal? Why does player grab a stump after winning a match, its just a piece of wood? Why did Sachin touch the pitch soil on his retirement, its just a handful of dirt ?

Its the symbolism of these objects/actions that matter. Anyone who gets the baggy green is clearly dreamt of playing cricket for their country and has worked towards it. That's what makes it special. I don't obviously know the full quote, but if Ian Chappell doesnt feel the same passion for the baggy green anymore, then so be it

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Why do players show all these type of emotions when playing for a sport? Why do two countries build up hype as if they are going to war against each other, when they are just playing a sport against each other, TO EARN MONEY?

Sports itself is highly overrated when it comes to whipping up patriotic feelings. You play sport and you earn money from it, earn fame from it, etc. But to whip up patriotic feelings for it IMHO is all just drama. But I also do like watching that drama. But I do sympathize with Ian Chappell's side of view.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
^^ Its okay if you feel that way.

I still get chills when I see Dhoni hit that 6 to win the world cup. Makes me feel proud to be an Indian. Those emotions are not fake and not limited to just sports. Seeing my countrymen achieving something in a competitive arena makes me happy. IF you think this is all drama, then its a wonderful drama LOL

The sportsmen must be feeling patriotic because they are representing their countries and wearing their country's colors. I know we have all gotten into this habit of seeing this world as a very materialistic place but I still believe some emotions go beyond just money.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
^^ Its okay if you feel that way.

I still get chills when I see Dhoni hit that 6 to win the world cup. Makes me feel proud to be an Indian. Those emotions are not fake and not limited to just sports. Seeing my countrymen achieving something in a competitive arena makes me happy. IF you think this is all drama, then its a wonderful drama LOL

The sportsmen must be feeling patriotic because they are representing their countries and wearing their country's colors. I know we have all gotten into this habit of seeing this world as a very materialistic place but I still believe some emotions go beyond just money.

I am not saying its fake drama. But its drama that's not necessary. Yes I know that we have all been ingrained with the thought of feeling patriotic when India plays international cricket or any sport. So when India wins, people feel as if the country wins. But I have started feeling these days that this emotion is completely unnecessary for a sport where people earn money and entertain people.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I think Chappell's point is that he's proud to have played Test cricket and represented his country, he just doesn't recognise the Baggy Green as the symbol of that.

Was it not the 1990s teams who really drove home that the Baggy Green meant something though, in terms of a symbol? Around the time of Border/Taylor/Start of Waugh's Captaincy. So I'm not sure it is that big a deal to the guys that came before that.

I can see Chappell's point though too. I mean you look at some countries (Americans for example) and the actual flag means a great deal to them. If someone drops it it's seen as very offensive. Yet to us Brits, it's really not that big of a deal. Just different people place different importance on certain symbols. Whether they be Flags or hats.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
The myth of the 'baggy green' was invented by Steve Waugh. Most players up to that point didn't think too much of their caps. It was just a piece of clothing, and players got new ones frequently. There were no fancy pre-game presentations of caps to debutantes. You just put your clothes on and got on with it.

An anecdote that really describes how past players regarded the cap is how Bill Lawry used to wear one of his Test caps to clean his pigeon cages, that is until his wife threw the heavily soiled headgear away.

What they did in the 90s was to create a physical idol for the players to comprehend as a motivational tool. It was a matter of ritual and focus. It is symbolic of playing for Australia and it always shall be, but the idolatry of the hat is hardly a rich and grand old tradition.

Users who are viewing this thread