ICC Awards Thread

irottev

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
As you may of noticed, the results have come through.

Kallis and Flintoff share the award for 'Player of the Year'
Flintoff won 'Test Player of the Year'
Pietersen won ODI player of the year and 'Emerging Player of the Year'

Taufel won the 'Umpire of the Year'

The Test team of the year is as follows:

1. Virender Sehwag (India)
2. Graeme Smith (South Africa)
3. Ricky Ponting (capt, Australia)
4. Jacques Kallis (South Africa)
5. Brian Lara (West Indies)
6. Inzamam-ul-Haq (Pakistan)
7. Andrew Flintoff (England)
8. Adam Gilchrist (wk, Australia)
9. Shane Warne (Australia)
10. Chaminda Vaas (Sri Lanka)
11. Glenn McGrath (Australia)
12th man: Anil Kumble (India)

ODI team:

1. Marvan Atapattu (Captain, Sri Lanka)
2. Adam Gilchrist (Wicketkeeper, Australia)
3. Rahul Dravid (India)
4. Kevin Pietersen (England)
5. Inzamam-ul-Haq (Pakistan)
6. Andrew Flintoff (England)
7. Andrew Symonds (Australia)
8. Daniel Vettori (New Zealand)
9. Brett Lee (Australia)
10. Naved-ul-Hasan (Pakistan)
11. Glenn McGrath (Australia)
12th man: Jacques Kallis (South Africa)

Interesting, simular if not the same selectors as the ones who picked the World XI team who played Australia. So where were ul-Haq, Atapattu and ul-Hasan? How come Flintoff diddn't take the POTY prize alone since he made both teams and had better statistics (In my opinion.) over the last year.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Tests

J H Kallis 26 innings, 8 50s, 6 100s, 1497 runs @ 71.29
286.5 overs, 20 wickets @ 41.15 (bb 4/13)

A Flintoff 14 innings, 4 50s, 0 100s, 366 runs @ 30.50
333.1 overs, 44 wickets @ 24.68 (bb 4/44)

ODIs

J H Kallis 19 innings, 6 50s, 1 100, 697 runs @ 41.00
87.2 overs 8 wickets @ 56.75 (bb 3/20)

A Flintoff 13 innings, 2 50s, 1 100, 464 @ 38.67
133.3 overs, 25 wickets @ 23.08 (bb 4/29)

irottev

School Cricketer
Yeah thats true. Kallis's Bowling figures are shocking though. At least Flintoff has good figures for both batting and bowling.

Just my opinion on that one.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Yea I agree, Flintoff defintiely is the better all rounder. His batting can be very good and we know about his bowling already.

ronny_kingsley

Club Cricketer
Well this have turned out to be jokes again.

Kallis Test player of the year despite his team loosing to England at home and India away.

Pieterson ODI player of the year despite KP winning England just one match.

Wnat these things tell about the awards "distribution" ????????

Any comments ?????????

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Flintoff is an inconsistent batsman. Probably always will be.
ronny_kingsley, your inflammatory remarks are unwarranted.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Thats just the way Flintoff plays. Surely with time he will get better. Gilly plays the same way and he has been very successful.

moza1

Club Cricketer
yes i dont think pietorson should of got odi player of the year and i dont think flintoff or kallis should of got player of the year

Sureshot

Executive member
Why? Kp averaged 87 with the bat and won many a games for England. Remember Flintoff had that Ankle spur in the winter too. Wasn't 100% for the RSA tour and missed those ODIs.

Kallis said 'It's nice to see more fellow All rounders coming through'

Jacques your not and all-rounder your a batsman who can bowl a bit, like Paul Collingwood Although Colly is a better bowler.

JamesyJames3

International Coach
ronny_kingsley said:

Kallis Test player of the year despite his team loosing to England at home and India away.

Pieterson ODI player of the year despite KP winning England just one match.

Wnat these things tell about the awards "distribution" ????????

Any comments ?????????

what the hell are you smoking?

for a start, individuals dont win matches. Teams do. Pieterson has been an outstanding performer averageing 87 in a team that has improved in the ODI form over the past year.

I cant think of anyone even close to challenging Pieterson for that award.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
aussie1st said:
Thats just the way Flintoff plays. Surely with time he will get better. Gilly plays the same way and he has been very successful.
The basic difference there is that Gilchrist is a naturally better batsman. Check the conversion rate: 15 hundreds (and 1 double century) to 20 fifties, to 5 hundreds and 17 fifties.

You could actually argue that they tend to face around the same number of balls, but in say, 120 balls, Gilchrist will have brought up a century, while Flintoff would have got to 80. The flaw is that the more balls that are attacked, the greater the likelyhood of getting out to a good one. This means Gilchrist is generally better at staying in and scoring runs, be it through technique, concentration or shot selection.

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
ronny_kingsley said:

Since when has team performance come into an individual award? So you're saying that simply because Kallis played for a losing team last year, he doesn't deserve recognition for some outstanding performances? I'm not his biggest fan (I think he's a selfish player) but I can see that he deserves recognition because of the amount of runs he's scored!

Who should've got ODI player of the year then? A player can't win a match on his own, Pietersen did amazingly well to even get us close in a couple of the matches in SA.

On the subject of the teams of the year, the ICC continue to make themselves look like idiots. Why are Naved-ul-Hasan, Inzamam and Marvan Attapatu in the ODI team of the year, but weren't in the super series ODI squad!? Then Shaun Pollock, not even the 12th man in the ODI squad but is CAPTAIN of the super series side!?

ronny_kingsley

Club Cricketer
stevie said:
Since when has team performance come into an individual award? So you're saying that simply because Kallis played for a losing team last year, he doesn't deserve recognition for some outstanding performances? I'm not his biggest fan (I think he's a selfish player) but I can see that he deserves recognition because of the amount of runs he's scored!

Who should've got ODI player of the year then? A player can't win a match on his own, Pietersen did amazingly well to even get us close in a couple of the matches in SA.

On the subject of the teams of the year, the ICC continue to make themselves look like idiots. Why are Naved-ul-Hasan, Inzamam and Marvan Attapatu in the ODI team of the year, but weren't in the super series ODI squad!? Then Shaun Pollock, not even the 12th man in the ODI squad but is CAPTAIN of the super series side!?

I never said cricket is an individuals game.

But if those gentleman played that better(to win ICC awards) thier team must have something to show for thier "great" performances.

Gilchrist ,Ponting,McGrath played well and thats why maybe thier team won.

Also Lara was the best performance in Tests for a losing cause.SO why not him ???????

Users who are viewing this thread