Group 2: Ind, Pak, Aus, NZ, Qualifier

Semi-finals- 30th March in Delhi
31st March in Mumbai

Final - April 3 at Eden Gardens in Kolkata

India v Pakistan on March 19 in Dharamsala

bigred

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think England might win this. They've got a good draw as I think that India, Australia and New Zealand are the favourites.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I think England might win this. They've got a good draw as I think that India, Australia and New Zealand are the favourites.

Hard to put AUS in the favourites category since they don't have enough mystery spinners and their batting against spin is suspect.

Hard to say anyone is really favourites however. For sure in home conditions IND will do well with Jadeja/Ashwin/Mishra likely to get surfaces that will suit. West Indies will be right up there - especially once Narine plays. South Africa team balance looked very strong in recent T20s in India now that A Morkel is back & also yea England's team looks very good.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India

For England, a lot will depend on which WI side turns up to the WC. I don't think Narine will be there at the WC but they still have Bishoo and Badree who are decent spinners. Sri Lanka this time around is not as strong but they will be a playing in India right before the T20 WC. They also have spinners to restrict England. Looking at South Africa's T20 series against India recently, it will be very hard to beat them. But again, England have developed a good young squad so anything is possible.

PokerAce

Banned

I would not put India as favs to be honest. Yes the home conditions help, but I don't think the India limited overs squad is settled enough to have a serious run at this. Perhaps a semis exit is on the cards for India.

I agree about England, and have been impressed with their limited overs resurgence since the WC. They have a good side with the right balance. The only worry for me, is that Topley and Willey (?), who have been spearheading the ODI and T20 attack for England could be really exposed in India on those dead tracks. But then again the same could be said of most fast bowlers.

I think the Kiwis are ones to watch out for, and SA as always. They beat India in both the T20s and that should be kept in mind.

bigred

Club Captain
I would not put India as favs to be honest. Yes the home conditions help, but I don't think the India limited overs squad is settled enough to have a serious run at this. Perhaps a semis exit is on the cards for India.

I agree about England, and have been impressed with their limited overs resurgence since the WC. They have a good side with the right balance. The only worry for me, is that Topley and Willey (?), who have been spearheading the ODI and T20 attack for England could be really exposed in India on those dead tracks. But then again the same could be said of most fast bowlers.

I think the Kiwis are ones to watch out for, and SA as always. They beat India in both the T20s and that should be kept in mind.

It's unlikely that Willey and Topley will both play. People like Finn and Broad will come back in.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Nagpur and Dharmashala in controversy of being favored because the BCCI President and secretary respectively hail from there (Nagpur has 17 games and Dharmashala has 8 games). Chennai not given a men's game because of the witch hunt that is being conducted on the recently removed ex-president N Srinivasan (by Lalit Modi in conjunction with the current office bearers). No matter how much you try, regionalism, bias and conflict of interest will refuse to leave Indian cricket and BCCI.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Chennai not given a men's game because of the witch hunt that is being conducted on the recently removed ex-president N Srinivasan
More because of the locked stands, i think.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Really? Why were they given a women's game then? The locked stands are not an issue for the women's game?
Chennai was given only women's matches not involving the Indian team, so the locked stands won't be an issue in those matches, because the stadium wouldn't be very full anyway. In a men's match there would be more attendance for sure.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Chennai not given a men's game because of the witch hunt that is being conducted on the recently removed ex-president N Srinivasan

Witch hunt ? Really ? The guy is getting what he deserves, and not enough to be honest.

No matter how much you try, regionalism, bias and conflict of interest will refuse to leave Indian cricket and BCCI

Agree with this. And this has everything to do with the Chennai stadium. You are just looking at it a bit differently. If any other stadium had three of its stands closed off for such a long period of time, they would have been struck off the international calendar a long time ago. Chennai stadium was allowed to function because Srini was at the helm of affairs.

It really does make for sorry viewing when you are holding a world class event and three of the stands are empty and fenced off.

PokerAce

Banned
Nagpur and Dharmashala in controversy of being favored because the BCCI President and secretary respectively hail from there (Nagpur has 17 games and Dharmashala has 8 games). Chennai not given a men's game because of the witch hunt that is being conducted on the recently removed ex-president N Srinivasan (by Lalit Modi in conjunction with the current office bearers). No matter how much you try, regionalism, bias and conflict of interest will refuse to leave Indian cricket and BCCI.

How can Chennai have a game ... its still recovering from the floods. Surely there is no way Chennai could have hosted a World T20 game.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
The India-Pak game in Dharmasala definitely looks like a case of favoritism though. Stadium has one of the smallest capacities amongst international venues. You would expect money-hungry BCCI to give this game to a bigger stadium for more revenue. Although these days, it seems like the main revenue comes from TV rights and sponsors instead of ticket sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread