LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
The only thing that concerns me right now is that Shastri has got a lifeline to extend his stay. As bad as Kohli is as a captain, him continuing on isn't as painful as seeing Mr.Coach stay there as his "Yes" man. I'm surprised he hasn't made any illogical statement as yet.
Kohli is a very good leader but not good as a captain (Tactician). Coach comes in with the strategic and tactics part here. Unfortunately Shastri isn't good tactician either. So a good coach alongside with Kohli would make this side Top in the world.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
It's amazing how result oriented our world is.

Anyway, I will remember this series for Pujara and Bumrah. I would say Bumrah more because I already knew Pujara was capable of what he did and that he's done so in the past. I think in the last 22 years, ever since 1996 as an Indian, I have not hesitated in saying that I come from a nation which has the best batsman in the world or at least close to it. I don't think in my lifetime ala 87 onwards I've felt that my country has produced the best bowler in the world. Bumrah is just that. And, as a keyboard warrior, this is a sound reminder that prejudice or pre conceived notions are very dangerous in life. The heights one can reach are limitless. I was convinced Bumrah was a white ball man, boy was I wrong. Shout out to @bumrahguy for this one. Huge congrats to you and well spotted. Would be nice if you give us a less hard time each time he does something remarkable though.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Kohli is a very good leader but not good as a captain (Tactician). Coach comes in with the strategic and tactics part here. Unfortunately Shastri isn't good tactician either. So a good coach alongside with Kohli would make this side Top in the world.

He was spotted with a beer in hand recently. He also bitched about Gavaskar, perhaps Tendulkar and the Indian press in general. I assure you, he would have been fed to the wolves had we lost this series. I have no issues with guys having a good time. Hell, had he been a bit normal, the beer in hand would make me pop one at home.. He's a disgrace. No other word for it. None of this is down to him. None.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
No matter how bad attitude does Kohli bring onto the field, no matter how arrogant he is at times and no matter what stupid comments does Ravi Shastri gives, this is the time when they actually should be appreciated to bring the best out of this team.
I'm sorry, but I think Shastri is doing more harm than good to the team. The kind of press conferences he does, his bullish nature, and rarely any respect for the individual sitting in front of him isn't something that should be encouraged.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I'm sorry, but I think Shastri is doing more harm than good to the team. The kind of press conferences he does, his bullish nature, and rarely any respect for the individual sitting in front of him isn't something that should be encouraged.

Perfect example of hindrances that prevent good change in India.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Graceless in victory, and the name is........ Fill in the blanks! :rolleyes

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
There have been stronger Indian sides and weaker Australian sides, so nothing should be taken away from India with excuses like Smith or Warner weren't there etc.
It finally looks like they have the pace attack to support the great batsmen.

Villain

ICC Board Member
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I don't think Shastri is going anywhere, not until the end of WC 2019. And if we end up winning it he'll be there for a few more years or eternity. It's more to do with keeping everything smooth by not experimenting and risking the World Cup by changing the management all a sudden, who knows the current set of players barring a few like Pujara have a good rapport with him; likes of Rahul, Kohli, Pandya, etc. Second would be we don't have another stable option as of now to replace him and why would they if the players and the captain are happy.

It's pretty clear our legendary ex-cricketers like Ganguly don't like him either, haven't heard Sunny Gavaskar speak good about him plus it's evident Indian fans are no fan of the guy. Recently I've also seen the fans and media pressure making them change decisions; basically what's been written on social media having some effect on the final decisions.

People want Shastri to be sacked but that's the decision that can be taken only by the top officials who'd require a very solid reason to fire him before his term ends which they don't clearly have. You can't say sack him just so he speaks crap. They need to have a valid reason.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I am happy that we have finally broken the hoodoo of 'never having won a test series in Australia', but for me, the 2001 test series win against Australia in India IS GREATER THAN the 2018 test series win against Australia in Australia

Reasons:
1) In 2001, India were massively affected by the match fixing saga and were rebuilding under Ganguly
2) The 2001 Australia side were almost invincible and featured all their biggest stalwarts in one team, including Warne/McGrath/Gilchrist/Waugh Bros/Ponting/Hayden/etc
3) The 2001 Australia side were coming off a '16 consecutive test wins' record and that record was stopped with that sensational Eden Gardens defeat of 2001

This is a good win, but I am not rating it anywhere near the World Cup wins or that 2001 test series win against Australia.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I am happy that we have finally broken the hoodoo of 'never having won a test series in Australia', but for me, the 2001 test series win against Australia in India IS GREATER THAN the 2018 test series win against Australia in Australia

Reasons:
1) In 2001, India were massively affected by the match fixing saga and were rebuilding under Ganguly
2) The 2001 Australia side were almost invincible and featured all their biggest stalwarts in one team, including Warne/McGrath/Gilchrist/Waugh Bros/Ponting/Hayden/etc
3) The 2001 Australia side were coming off a '16 consecutive test wins' record and that record was stopped with that sensational Eden Gardens defeat of 2001

This is a good win, but I am not rating it anywhere near the World Cup wins or that 2001 test series win against Australia.
Agree with you :thumbs

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One

Reasons:

All credit to the team, especially Pujara for the win. However, it does feel a little hollow. A win in either England or SA (both of which was totally within our reach) would have tasted better. Personally, I rate the performance in 2003 and even the overall tour of 2007/8 much higher in terms of sheer quality. Despite all that, an Australian side at home is still a tough challenge. The bowling was the same as the ones that won the Ashes last year. Also, home teams generally find a way to win test series even if they lose key personnel. India were without there only test quality bowlers in Kumble and Srinath in the 2001 Border-Gavaskar trophy. Yet, someone else stepped up and we won. Kohli did not make even 50 runs in the first 3 tests in the 2017 series at home and missed the Dharamsala test. India managed a way through even then. Also, we did not extend any sympathy to our side when we lost to Australia at home in 2004. Remember, we were without Tendulkar in the first 2 tests and Ganguly in the last 2 tests, in addition to losing out on an opportunity to win the final test because of rain. What worries me is the lack of depth in Aussie cricket. In the 2000s (up until 2010), losing 2 key players would not have mattered too much to the Aussies. The fact that they keep going back to the Marsh brothers tells you the story. Im not sure if Smith and Warner coming back will change things in a hurry.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
No matter how bad attitude does Kohli bring onto the field, no matter how arrogant he is at times and no matter what stupid comments does Ravi Shastri gives, this is the time when they actually should be appreciated to bring the best out of this team. If you can't appreciate better don't be critical :thumbs

I am sure we are all happy for the series win. It is historical no doubt.

But arrogance in victory is worse than a loss. Ravi Shastri is on a mission to ruin achievements with his bullish behavior and outlandish (and often tasteless) comments. There was absolutely no need to say sh*t like this win might be better than the 1983 World Cup win. There were a million better ways to emphasize the importance of this series win. Kohli is actually 100 times more mature when it comes to press conferences than this overgrown baby. For someone who made his name as a commentator, it is amazing to see how stunted he is with his words.

Despite being world beaters, Ponting's Australia is widely considered as the most ill mannered and arrogant team to have played cricket. I am afraid Shastri-Kohli combo is taking this team in the same direction

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
There are two things I want to mention here that should basically be the nutshell or summary of this tour-

Our bowlers didn't have to bowl to Smith & Warner and generally bowled to decent batters but not world beaters.

Our batsmen still had to face the best attack as proclaimed by the Aussies in the world.

The series win is a huge one from a batting perspective and while I think our bowling is the best it's ever been, I don't think it's fully tested yet.

Is it a huge achievement to win in Australia? Absolutely.

Is it comparable to the world cups or the series win in England? May be, I don't like to compare.

Can we conclude that after the 3 overseas tour the result of all 3 is satisfactory? Not in my opinion.

This was the weakest SA/ENG/AUS teams I can remember and the best bowling attack we ever had.

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
This was the weakest SA/ENG/AUS teams I can remember and the best bowling attack we ever had.
I don't think so! SA had a great bowling attack with Philander, Morkel and Rabada
England was filled with all-rounders and the way Broad and Jimmy bowled, they did a good job.
This AUS team was the weakest. I agree

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I don't think so! SA had a great bowling attack with Philander, Morkel and Rabada
England was filled with all-rounders and the way Broad and Jimmy bowled, they did a good job.
This AUS team was the weakest. I agree

You are entitled to an opinion. I personally didn't rate South Africa or England's batting. South Africa just had de Villiers who had the measure of our attack. England's main reason for winning the series was Sam Curran who in my opinion is a useful batter but definitely not some David Gower. Our losses were mainly compounded by atrocious brain fade selections and the handling of work loads of gun players. It has been discussed to death here. The most challenging wicket in these 12 test matches was the one in Joburg I believe in the 3rd test of the SA series and we won there. The most flat wicket of the 12 tests was at Melbourne and Sydney and we were bossing the game at both places.

I think the SA series was lost in the second test before a ball was bowled with BK being dropped. The England series was lost before a ball was bowled when Pujara wasn't a starter in the XI. The media and experts can put a spin on things and say Kohli is learning from his mistakes but he's been in the job for 4 years and I'd have expected that in the 4th year he'd be wiser. It is for this very reason that a coach is there and I think we know what role he has played.

Anyone who has seen any substance of cricket will tell you that if we had this attack in the 2000-10 period we would have dominated world cricket everywhere bar Australia because that was again a team for the ages. It would have been a humdinger with them.

This is the most talented Indian team of all time with the weakest leadership and management and while the results are very impressive, it is still not the optimum that this team should have achieved.

Users who are viewing this thread