Indian Cricket League(ICL)

How do you rate the fielding standards in ICL

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anandbatra

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
CricketNext.com
Not quite Kerry Packer, but Zee Telefilms Chairman Subhash Chandra has set up a challenge for the BCCI - a parallel cricket league. But will any big Indian star player join him?

Revealing the details, Subhash Chandra said in the Capital that his company has set up an initial corpus of Rs 100 crore for the event, christened the Indian Cricket League

I feared this would happen one day. I don't want this to grow into something big, as it will attract all talent with the money and stuff. Indian players are already the highest paid, but these sort of leagues pay a LOT more.

I hope this experiment fails. Otherwise, it will undermine the importance of International cricket in India, as fans just want to see their heroes playing.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOD EDIT: Thought I'd keep the first post updated with some info; I hope nobody minds.

Schedule

Nov 30: Chandigarh Lions v Delhi Jets

Dec 1: Chennai Superstars v Kolkata Tigers; Mumbai Champs v Hyderabad Heroes

Dec 2: Delhi Jets v Hyderabad Heroes; Chandigarh Lions v Kolkata Tigers

Dec 3: Mumbai Champs v Chennai Superstars

Dec 5: Hyderbad Heroes v Chandigarh Lions

Dec 7: Mumbai Champs v Delhi Jets

Dec 8: Chennai Superstars v Chandigarh Lions; Delhi Jets v Kolkata Tigers

Dec 9: Hyderabad Heroes v Chennai Superstars; Mumbai Champs v Chandigarh Lions

Dec 10: Mumbai Champs v Kolkata Tigers

Dec 12: Chennai Superstars v Delhi Jets; Hyderbad Heroes v Kolkata Tigers

Dec 14: Semi-final I

Dec 15: 5/6 classification; Semi-final II

Dec 16: 3/4 classification; Final

Squads

Chennai Superstars: Stuart Law, Ian Harvey, Hemang Badani, Chris Read (wk), Russell Arnold, Sridharan Sriram, Shabbir Ahmed, V Devendran, R Sathish, Dakshinamoorthy Kumaran, Hemanth Kumar, Jamaluddin Syed Mohammed, Thiru Kumaran, J Hareish, V Sarvanan, R Jesuraj, Sanjeev Martin, G Vignesh, P Vivek.
Coach: Michael Bevan

Hyderabad Heroes: Inzamam-ul-Haq, Chris Harris, Nicky Boje, Abdul Razzaq, Azhar Mahmood, Anirudh Singh, Ambati Rayudu, S Shahubuddin, Stuart Binny, IS Reddy, Vinay Kumar, Ibrahim Khaleel, Kaushik Reddy, Bheema Rao, Alfred Absolem, Shashank Nag, PS Niranjan, Baburao Yadav, Zakaria Zuffri.
Coach: Moin Khan

Kolkata Tigers: Craig McMillan, Lance Klusener, Darren Maddy, Abhishek Jhunjhunwala, Rohan Gavaskar, Upul Chandana, Deep Dasgupta, Abu Nechim, Parviz Aziz, Shiv Sagar Singh, Boyd Rankin, Mihir Diwakar, Rajiv Kumar, Sayed Akhlakh, Subhomoy Das, Sujay Tarafdar, Pritam Das, Anshu Jain, Ali H Zaidi.
Coach: Daryll Cullinan

Delhi Jets: Taufeeq Umar, Niall O'Brien, Paul Nixon, Dale Benkenstein, JP Yadav, Mohnish Mishra, Abbas Ali, Ali Murtaza, T Sudhindra, Abid Nabi, Sachin Dholpure, Abhishek Tamrakar, Dishant Yagnik, Dhruv Mahajan, Abhinav Bali, Raghav Sachdev.
Coach: Madan Lal

Mumbai Champs: Brian Lara, Vikram Solanki, Robin Morris, Nathan Astle, Kiran Powar, Shreyas Khanolkar, Johan Van der Wath, Rakesh Patel, Avinash Yadav, Nantie Hayward, Subhojit Paul, Dheeraj Jadhav, A Sanklecha, Ranjeet Kirid, Pushkaraj Joshi, Suyash Burkul, Raviraj Patil, Nikhil Mandale, Sridher Iyer.
Coach: Sandeep Patil

Chandigarh Lions: Chris Cairns, Imran Farhat, Dinesh Mongia, Hamish Marshall, Andrew Hall, Reetinder Singh Sodhi, Rajesh Sharma, TP Singh, Sarabjeet Singh, Ishan Malhotra, Daryl Tuffey, Sumit Kalia, Chetan Sharma, Manish Sharma, Luv Ablish, Bipul Sharma, Karanveer Singh, Amit Uniyal, Gaurav Gupta, Harpreet Singh.
Coach: Balwinder Sandhu

Last edited by a moderator:

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
I want to see the reaction of BCCI to this.

This is what the creator said:

'Stating that the Indian board's selection process has failed to create "a reserve pipeline of players", Chandra added that the idea behind the league is to create an "ideal pool with killing instinct". The BCCI, he said, would be free to draw from the talent pool.'

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/288641.html

Abhas

Retired Administrator
it wil become something like european football, where league matches are much more sought after, and superbly telecast, while international matches have the same feel only in the world cup...

dont want this to happen with cricket, and i agree with anandbatra, hoping the experiment fails..

anandbatra

Club Cricketer
From Cricinfo.com,

The finer points of ICL:

- 6 teams or clubs to play in the opening year
- Talks on with BCCI for gaining access to stadiums
- Executive Board of the league under installation
- Pool of referees and umpires to be created
- Rules committee to form regulations for ICL
- Ombudsman to look into grievances of players
- League to begin with Twenty20 format and move to ODI format
- League to be a joint venture between Essel Group and ILFS Group
- Each team to have a mentor, media manager, psychologist, physio
- Prize money for the winner- US$ 1 million

- League teams to compete with teams internationally
- Number of teams to be increased from 6 to 16 in three years

Now this is interesting.

anandbatra

Club Cricketer
Abhas said:
as long as it is T20, i dont really mind...
will be something like what happens in pakistan...

Except that the initial investment is Rs 100 crore, almost 15 times the sponsorship amount of the Pakistan national team.

If Subhash Chandra has his heart in this, then this will become big. Look what he did with Essel Propack.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I feel that Subash Chandra is interfering too much in cricket.
First up,he made a huge racket when he didnt get the TV rights and now he's starting a parallel tourno.
I doubt he'll succeed.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I don't know my reaction to this. It sounds great, but then I don't want it to overshadow international cricket..
Then again, I feel that it gives more opportunity to the stars of tomorrow out there right now, unnoticed.
Alot of "Cricket Talent" programs have been started now, this and the new reality TV show "Cricket Star".

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
This sounds interesting.
I saw Cricket Star. It's funny :) But to be honest, I probably would have tried out if I was in India at the time :p
But anyways, this seems like a good idea. Especially the fact that there will be overseas players and that the teams will compete internationally.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
The ICL will have six teams with two Indian internationals, four overseas players and eight juniors in each side, though Chandra didn't name those players, if any, who'd already signed up. At the end of the third year, there will be 16 teams in the ICL. Chandra, while announcing this initiative in Delhi, said this initiative was not in conflict with the BCCI but would be complementary to them.

2 international players in each side. 6 teams which means use of 12 international players, will that not wipe out the BCCI leagues?

I hope it works and builds a strong league of Indian players. The fundamentals need to be focused on building the Indian team with making money a bi-product.

Sureshot

Executive member
anandbatra said:
Except that the initial investment is Rs 100 crore, almost 15 times the sponsorship amount of the Pakistan national team.

If Subhash Chandra has his heart in this, then this will become big. Look what he did with Essel Propack.

What's Rs 100 crore?

I gathered it's rupees something 100 thousand/million?

manee

Chairman of Selectors
My limited knowledge of punjabi tells me a 1 crore = 10 million rupees and that 80 rupees = ?1.

Users who are viewing this thread