Indian Cricket League(ICL)

How do you rate the fielding standards in ICL

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anandbatra

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Indyan said:
Well, English people dont go crazy when the Cricket team does badly as they can switch over to something like EPL.

Well, then you do not know about their culture.

Cricket is a middle-upper middle class sport in the UK. Football is more popular as it is a working class sport. Just go around Europe and see what happens when club sides lose football matches.

In India, cricket is a working class sport.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
This is just India trying to be Kerry Packer and it is a stupid idea in my opinion, if Cricket turns into soccer where players care more about money and clubs than they do about representing their country I will stop watching the game and hope the creators of this feel bad about ruining the game.

At least Kerry Packer brought cricket to the forefront of TV, if it wasn't for him I doubt that Indian Television would make that kind of money in the first place.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
aus5892 said:
This is just India trying to be Kerry Packer and it is a stupid idea in my opinion, if Cricket turns into soccer where players care more about money and clubs than they do about representing their country I will stop watching the game and hope the creators of this feel bad about ruining the game.
With all due respect, I think you are not really acknowledging the state of domestic cricket in India. Domestic cricket in India enjoys no TV viewership at all (last time I checked, although there were plans for someone to telecast them; not sure what happened with those) and not many people actually show up at the matches. I think putting some corporate money into domestic cricket will only help.

Now, why does a corporate have to step-in? Because the BCCI has their head buried far too up their ass to pull it out and cultivate a domestic cricket culture in India. I could also see less 'idiotic passion' for the Indian national team. You could always fall back on your domestic team, if you know what I mean.

And how would this ruin the game? If it is what it is touted to be, all it will do is introduce Twenty20 cricket into Indian cricket in a exciting fashion (and possibly create some excitement around domestic cricketers). Only 2 Indian internationals will play per team--which is 12 international teams. By their contracts, Indian internationals will be available for call-up whenever the BCCI wants them.

Finally, I think the most important thing in the whole deal is that Zee is trying to work alongside the BCCI. This is going to be a cooperative effort and I feel that it may even be the case that the BCCI pays Zee to organize it. I feel there is no question of conflicting commitments.

aus5892 said:
At least Kerry Packer brought cricket to the forefront of TV, if it wasn't for him I doubt that Indian Television would make that kind of money in the first place.
This seems like one of your usual digs against India(n cricket). Are you perhaps suggesting that we shouldn't move domestic cricket to the forefront of TV or that we shouldn't be inspired by revolutions?

Indyan

Club Cricketer
Yes, what Kerry Packer did at that time was revolutionary. But, its ridiculous to suggest that if he hadnt thought of it we would still be watching cricket with only 2 camera angles. Those things would have happened even if Packer hadnt introduced them - only it would have probably taken 5 to 10 years more.
I agree with sohum. I remember 4-5 year back, ESPN was broadcasting daily highlights of of Pura Cup, but no one really bothered to telecast indian domestic cricket. When ESPN-STAR had the rights they would do their duty by just showing a 30 min highlight package every week.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
sohummisra said:
With all due respect, I think you are not really acknowledging the state of domestic cricket in India. Domestic cricket in India enjoys no TV viewership at all (last time I checked, although there were plans for someone to telecast them; not sure what happened with those) and not many people actually show up at the matches. I think putting some corporate money into domestic cricket will only help.

Well infact,NEO Sport does show cricket on TV in India. Now whether that it braodcasted abroad,I really do not know.

sohummisra said:
This seems like one of your usual digs against India(n cricket). Are you perhaps suggesting that we shouldn't move domestic cricket to the forefront of TV or that we shouldn't be inspired by revolutions?

One can say that the First year will be a big success for ZEE.The popularity will tend to dip after the second year or so.
Should I remind you of the Premier Hockey League started by ESPN Star Sports,which is today dying a silent death.

Indyan said:
but no one really bothered to telecast indian domestic cricket. When ESPN-STAR had the rights they would do their duty by just showing a 30 min highlight package every week.

Tell me ,Is it actually viable for them ?
Well that would tend to block the prime time slots.
And how many ppl actually want to watch domestic cricket if the stars are not playing ?

Agreed that Twenty-20 will be big.Years ago when there was no 20-20 and the domestic matches used to end in a draw,I really doubt that ppl would be glued to their idiot boxes all day long for dmestic cricket.

Indyan

Club Cricketer
And how many ppl actually want to watch domestic cricket if the stars are not playing ?
Thats what I am talking about. The poor standard of domestic cricket in India. Compared to Aussie Domestic Cricket which is very much watchable and entertaining.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I'm not saying that the League is bad or anything,its just that it is bound to take off spectacularly but would be grounded badly.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
iceman_waugh said:
Well infact,NEO Sport does show cricket on TV in India. Now whether that it braodcasted abroad,I really do not know.
From what I have read in the past, NEO Sports is a pretty pathetic channel. In fact, I would doubt that people would even subscribe to it if it wasn't included in packages. The difference with a corporate like Zee pumping money into it is that it will enjoy more viewership. For example, if ESPN-Star were interested in it and it took off, I'm sure it would be extremely popular.

iceman_waugh said:
One can say that the First year will be a big success for ZEE.The popularity will tend to dip after the second year or so.
Should I remind you of the Premier Hockey League started by ESPN Star Sports,which is today dying a silent death.
Comparing it to the PHL is invalid, in my opinion. Cricket enjoys far more popularity in India than hockey. People know international cricketers whereas the average Indian sportsfan wouldn't have heard of international hockey players apart from a couple of Pakistani ones.

iceman_waugh said:
But the stars would be playing! Two Indian internationals and 2 international players. We probably wouldn't get top international players unless the offer was fairly lucrative and worked out nicely with regards to the scheduling. Furthermore, once you got the viewers from the international players, they would also be able to see some of our domestic talent and possibly rally behind them for national selection.

And the best part is, if it all fails, all that will happen is Zee will lose a bunch of money. Who doesn't like a corporate losing money? :p

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
sohummisra said:
From what I have read in the past, NEO Sports is a pretty pathetic channel. In fact, I would doubt that people would even subscribe to it if it wasn't included in packages. The difference with a corporate like Zee pumping money into it is that it will enjoy more viewership. For example, if ESPN-Star were interested in it and it took off, I'm sure it would be extremely popular.

Well i have to agree with that.It's no doubt a pathetic channel and if ESPN took to it,more ppl will go with it.It's just the fact that you need good ppl who can judge,like Sunil Gavaskar,not Subhash Chandra.

But the stars would be playing! Two Indian internationals and 2 international players. We probably wouldn't get top international players unless the offer was fairly lucrative and worked out nicely with regards to the scheduling. Furthermore, once you got the viewers from the international players, they would also be able to see some of our domestic talent and possibly rally behind them for national selection.

But,which international player will play ?
The fact remains that the ICC should be approached for this.I see it as a private venture by ZEE.If it were in collaboration with the BCCI,I'm sure many would have come.
As of now,I see only the discarded internationals wanting to make a mark herein.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I heard from TV that BCCI refused to accept this idea! I didnt hear the full story though..

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
surendar said:
I heard from TV that BCCI refused to accept this idea! I didnt hear the full story though..

It is indeed true that the BCCI has refused to accept the ICL.
The Grounds that would be used by ZEE belong to the BCCI[not all though]
Basically put,it is not possible w/o BCCI support.
There is going to be a meeting between Pawar and Chandra this afternoon,we shall know only then.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
sohummisra said:

Now, why does a corporate have to step-in? Because the BCCI has their head buried far too up their ass to pull it out and cultivate a domestic cricket culture in India. I could also see less 'idiotic passion' for the Indian national team. You could always fall back on your domestic team, if you know what I mean.

And how would this ruin the game? If it is what it is touted to be, all it will do is introduce Twenty20 cricket into Indian cricket in a exciting fashion (and possibly create some excitement around domestic cricketers). Only 2 Indian internationals will play per team--which is 12 international teams. By their contracts, Indian internationals will be available for call-up whenever the BCCI wants them.

Finally, I think the most important thing in the whole deal is that Zee is trying to work alongside the BCCI. This is going to be a cooperative effort and I feel that it may even be the case that the BCCI pays Zee to organize it. I feel there is no question of conflicting commitments.

In Australia our domestic crowds are poor, nine has dropped one day games and foxtel is left to pick it up. Domestic cricket will never become as big as international cricket unless we turn it into the sort of thing that soccer does now, where we combine local and international heroes in big money fests and players stop caring about representing their money, rather caring about the size of their pay cheques.

I am not digging at India at all, rather at the morons who want to ruin cricket at this TV Station. What Packer did was unheard of, and at that time many felt it was bad for the game, but the difference is that his outcome was merely to get more people into One Day Cricket. If he had not introduced so many people to the shorter game by creating Day/Night games, then it is true that Indian Stations like Zee would not make the sort of money out of the One Day game that they are now. Heck, Australia plays India in ridiculous time-wasting One Day tournaments in obscure cricketing places every year, last year it was Kuala Lumpur, this year the USA or Northern Ireland, all because of the huge amounts of money that we are offered for it.

Money is big enough a movement as it is without needing to use it to destroy the international game.

Domestic Cricket is a training ground for international cricket. If less people watch it then who cares? The reason you sign up for your local club is because you would like to one day play for your country. Now we have Shane Warne and Justin Langer making money by playing domestic cricket after they've retired from the international game, Warne for no less than another two years, and more and more players retiring from international cricket so that they can play for more overseas domestic outfits.

Let's not pretend domestic cricket isn't important, but let's not pretend that crowd sizes are. No country is going to attract large numbers of people to local heroes by themselves, and that's where movements like Zee endeavour to change the game by bringing international players to the domestic sides, to make money. They put young players in as well of course, because then it seems they have a better agenda, plus it is exposure for the players whom they one day hope will have their faces plastered all over the city on billboards for their own brand, and other sponsors as well.

We are constantly forgetting how unprofessional sports like cricket used to be, players used to have second or third jobs just to support their families. Now it is all purely a business, money is thrown left right and centre and the spirit of the game is hurt for it. We need to stop our great game from becoming a shamble, and this would do it.

In a year which has been full of ball tampering allegations, politics, tournaments only motivated by making money, poor crowds at the World Cup, and of course tragic murder, it is easy to forget behind all of this that cricket is a game. A game in which players try to score runs and take wickets, a game which has unrivalled atmosphere, a game which was started hundreds of years ago as a game English schoolchildren enjoyed playing, and a game which is dying a slow and unnatural death at the hands of greed, politics, fanatics and money.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I think your view of cricket is too Utopian. You, yourself, would not have been into cricket if it wasn't for the money going into it. It is a natural human reaction to ****** change--to want it to stop once it has reached the level that is comfortable with one. One can trace the second flourish of cricket to when it was brought to TV. If cricket had never been brought to TV and money had not been pumped into the game, it would not have existed today.

If only the select hardcore cricket fanatics had been present at the ground the day test cricket was reborn, it's rebirth would have been shortlived. Television and money is what has allowed the game to progress and still exist. Money may be ruining the game but claiming this in a preaching manner is not dissimilar from eating from a hand before cutting it off.

In my opinion, domestic cricket is important. Besides, this was supposed to be a Twenty20 league. What's better than driving crowds to the stadium to watch some exciting cricket? And watch some new cricketers? The future of our team! I think it will stop some of the worshipping of the Indian cricketers, if nothing else.

I think the paranoia you exude while worrying that domestic cricket will take over international cricket is similar to what traditionalists felt ODI cricket was going to do with test cricket. What is the state of the game today? ODI cricket is more popular, the real cricket fans follow test cricket, and the game is still alive.

And finally, if anything, it will contribute to cricketing interest within our country. What do we do when India is not playing anyone and the other series are of no interest? This would be the perfect opportunity to see some cricket--and an exciting form of it, at that.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Well the difference between ODI v Test and International v Domestic is that right now the international game is as rigorous as the domestic game. Important tours are all year round, and we don't simply play friendlies in between tournaments. If a domestic comp becomes bigger than international cricket because the pay cheque is bigger.

Wouldn't you prefer International to always be a great level above the domestic games? I love domestic cricket myself, I go to domestic cricket more than international cricket partly because there are more games in Melbourne, but I do not want it to become bigger than Test and ODI cricket. I do not want to see our home grown talents pack their bags as soon as they've established themselves simply for more money. I do not want to see grassroots cricket and international cricket be overshadowed by clubs with millions in the bank.

I was never one who used to buy into the 'too much money for sportsmen' argument, but I can now see the point made. If we let the richest club buy all the great players, we are left with the traditional clubs lingering at the bottom of the ladder because they can't afford their player's salaries. Domestic is important, but International is more important in my eyes.

Re your point about ODI v Test, yes I am one of those people who prefer Test Cricket, and I am worried that T20 will kill 50 over ODIs, I like what I grew up with, but I do classify this as a similar but ultimately different matter.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
sohummisra said:
In my opinion, domestic cricket is important. Besides, this was supposed to be a Twenty20 league. What's better than driving crowds to the stadium to watch some exciting cricket? And watch some new cricketers? The future of our team! I think it will stop some of the worshipping of the Indian cricketers, if nothing else.

Purists of the game would tend to disagree with this particular fact -20-20.
If ZEE wants to nurtute talent,I'm not sure that 20-20 is the way to start off.

The problem is that in a country like India,you will have hard-hitters but not good batsmen.
Instead,if ZEE starts off with 5-day matches[i know these would be boring],they would do Indian cricket a great favour.Infact,many say that Test cricket is the real test.And I tend to agree with it.Test cricket or 5day matches will bring out better players than 20-20.

Just for the fact.
Tomorrow if I enroll for the League.I know that i'm a hard hitter.Would i be inducted in the Indian team just on the basis of my 20-20 performance ?

Users who are viewing this thread