Indian Test Cricket

Rohit Doshi

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well, you want publicity for free? Yes I want, please criticize India or talk against them. The Indian media is there to give you enough attention :rolleyes

Greg Chappel has just done that. Did he express his view on internet? TV? Radio? No he did it on the day of his book launch :rolleyes

jazz

Panel of Selectors
No I?m not criticising them but I agree with what he?s saying, he brings up an intresting point.

India?s mentality I believe is not setup for test cricket, this doesn?t mean they can?t change that. In fact the only nations I believe that are cut out for test cricket in what it demands and how to handle the pressure are England and Australia

Last edited:

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
While I normally enjoy reading anything that bashes Indian cricket; this really is a sweeping generalization from Greg.

teamindia

Club Cricketer
The Poms (British) taught them really well to keep their head down. For if someone was deemed to be responsible, they'd get punished.

What a douche bag living in the past. What next is he going to applaud Nazis for teaching jews a lesson?? Would CA keep silent if he said that :facepalm:facepalm How low people would go to earn a few bucks. And this fool has the balls to accuse Indian players of being money minded.

And Doucheppell we do not need your advice on how we have to grow or bring our kids.

"They lack leaders in the team because they are not trained to be leaders. From an early age, their parents make all the decisions, their schoolteachers make their decisions, their cricket coaches make the decisions.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Is Greg trying to be an anthropologist or something. This article is pathetic piece of trash. Even today his brother Ian was advocating that Maharoof had no right to confront Warner after getting him out. He forgot all about the sledging that Australians normally hurl at the opposition.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Heaven forbid anyone answers a question honestly... I fear the day when all figures give politician style answers in fear of what someone might say. It already happens in English football, where every interview is basically the same, every answer rehearsed in PR lessons. How to say enough, without ever saying anything.

He was there to promote a book, got asked a question, and answered it. Hardly helping himself either by not endearing himself to so many Indians in doing so is he?

The only sensible comment I could find was one saying, this is a man who actually worked with these players, he may be right, or he may be wrong, but he probably knows more about them then the muppets who sit at home and don't actually watch test cricket... The one's that do, well, ignore the anthropological rubbish he ends up spouting, and look at some of the more salient points he makes.

Maybe, people should take a look at the likes of Zaheer and Sehwag, two players he pinpointed, and two players who have hardly shown the fight and drive in the last few years to prove him wrong?

He rightly suggests as well that Dhoni has seemingly shrunk with each year. If he makes any kind of firm decision, he is bashed on so many sides regardless that these days he seems afraid to make any. Not to mention, his correct point about Dhoni basically playing 50% more cricket than pretty much anyone in the world. This included captaining, wicket-keeping, and more often than not batting. Is it any wonder he at one stage seemed desperate to keep himself in the lower order?

However, I fully agree that when he decided to essentially claim he understood an entire culture he unfortunately negatively impacted the rest of his arguments.... but then, unlike so many Indian players or EPL footballers, he's not afraid to say what he thinks in view of what the reprisal may be ;)

teamindia

Club Cricketer
Heaven forbid anyone answers a question honestly...

What is he answering honestly?? All he is doing is talking garbage. The same team was no.1 until 7 months back. They won worldcup (India players are just Okay about ODI acc to Mr. Doucheppell), won matches outside India, added more test matches to their itinary. Australia on the other hand was being losing everywhere and their players were out of form. Dropped from no.1 to no. 5. English became no. 1 and were whitewashed by Pak in UAE. So somehow this guy has found out that India (and the entire subcontinent) is not good for cricket based on their tour of Australia and England :lol:lol

Not to mention apparently Indian's cannot take decisions on their own but somehow we become responsible for all decisions ICC takes :D:D Dare I say Australia and England have outsourced their decision making in politics to Americans and their software design decisions to the Indians :D.

Just the usual garbage from the Aussies to sell books.

Last edited:

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
I can't believe I actually clicked on view post. Did you even read the article? He was promoting his book, and was asked that question, he answered it. If you want to blame anyone, it's cricinfo or the journalists no doubt structuring the answer to rile up India fans to increase hits and therefore ad revenue.

He answered a question honestly, how is that a debate? Are you honestly trying to suggest that England didn't try in Pakistan? They just got beaten fair and square by a team that outclassed them on the day. India, in their last two test series have looked like they want to go home after the first day.

Anyway, keep burying your head in the sand. Keep picking and choosing the points you fancy responding to, and get I'll just have to remember next time not to click show ignored post :facepalm

Oh, and one of you two actually worked with these guys, the other is a moron... I'm not great at maths, but I reckon I know the answer :D

teamindia

Club Cricketer
I am pretty sure cricinfo and other media organisations asked this guy if the Poms during the 200 year rule taught Indians to keep their heads down :rolleyes

He answered a question honestly, how is that a debate? Are you honestly trying to suggest that England didn't try in Pakistan? They just got beaten fair and square by a team that outclassed them on the day. India, in their last two test series have looked like they want to go home after the first day.

The England tour should in the fist place not be considered here. After so much cricket it was tiring even for the fans (SA tour, World cup, IPL, WI test, England tour). In Australia we were beaten fair and square by Aussies and based on media reports there seems to have been dressing room problems as well. India still rules in India. India did play a full series against WI befor coming to England and won it. So to generalize a teams attitude based on two away series (while the other 2 teams playing at home) is stupid. And to basically take shots at a countries culture is even more stupid.

----------

Oh, and one of you two actually worked with these guys, the other is a moron... I'm not great at maths, but I reckon I know the answer :D

Hmmmm this from a guy who considered "jealousy" a personal attack :facepalm:facepalm And yeah one of the two guys was actually kicked out for being a bad coach and leading the team to doom in 2007 world cup. And the same guy was a cheap immoral fool who instructured his brother to bowl an underarm delivery to win at all costs.

Last edited:

SLICKR392

Club Captain
Anything for Book no matter how cheap you can go! ANYTHING FOR SOME BS PUBLICITY!
He was kicked out from the Aussie team and now he is back.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Wow, some serious jealously you seem to have there. I guess it's ridiculous to assume that this man might have some semblance of understanding about what is happening with the Indian players? At, least as far as I'm aware he's probably spoken to one more recently than you have, an almost certainly coached one... As usual you ignored the main points in my post, picked what you fancied, and made your answer around that.

I specifically said he does detrimental damage to his overlying points when he attempts to play, as Sami astutely points out, an 'amateur anthropologist' with very little accuracy and almost certainly very little knowledge. However, one thing Greg does understand, as you have clearly highlighted yourself, is how to win on a cricket pitch. He almost certainly would not have called back Ian Bell for example ;) Yet again, he didn't cheat, he played within the rules, but he played to win. It is illegal because of him, not when he did it. Someone else would eventually have done the same thing (probably the next Aussie captain, or the one after that haha), so at least it was dealt with. Some might say it was actually quite intelligent, some that it ruined the game. Well, cricket survived, so I'd suggest the only people still moaning about it are just bitter about something.

He was a bad coach for India, but a successful player, and apparently good enough to get hired in the first place (or was that just for book sales too?).

The main points though, that exclude the anthropological gibberish (also can be grouped alongside the crap that people spout about India not having the natural whatever to produce fast bowlers, think that was Zaheer Khan who said that, but yeah, probably just trying to sell a book) are actually quite reasonable. You yourself mentioned in-fighting in the dressing room, well he aludes to that, and what may have caused it. He is correct that Dhoni is the most overworked cricketer in the world. That needs to change too, BCCI need to look after their players better, the fans can not complain about overworked players for what was a massive series for the top spot in the ICC Test rankings. Nor can you dismiss it afterwards because apparently a terrible Windies team took it all out of you all. Aww, didums. Almost sounds like your just constantly making excuses without ever applying anything approaching an analytical slant to anything.

Those things are genuine issues, that you consistently refuse to look at in anything resembling an analytical manner. Instead, your response is to just abuse the man making comments. You have no reasoned response, no intelligent arguments, merely your own half-baked opinions formed on BCCI press releases and fantastical notions. Yet when a man who worked with these players first hand, and has almost certainly been in and around some incredibly driven and focusses dressing rooms, I expect he probably has at least something resembling a point?

No?

Ah well. Stupid Australians, trying to drum up their book sales! Serves them right, it's not like anyone in Australia can actually read :spy :p

Atharv

Club Cricketer
Pretty blinkered(Subjective and limited, as in viewpoint or perception) view . But then what can you expect from him . No wonder almost everything he has touched has turned to dust.
No culture needs a certificate from another culture or Individual and certainly not from somebody like him. I guess what Indian players did to him seems to have mentally scarred him.No wonder he is taking cheap potshots.
What he wanted when he was with India was sub ordination from India players. What he wanted was people to agree with his high handed approach and not question him. And contrary to what he is saying about Indian people now, most of the Indian players barring Dhoni , Raina and Dravid refused to put their head down and comply. No wonder Dhoni,Dravid and Raina are his favourite players .
Also his hand picked players, Dhoni and Raina do not seem to have skills for the test cricket. This is an apt reflection on his inability to judge a player.
he seems to have no idea what leadership skills are. Man-management skills are a major and integral part of leadership. Dhoni,who he thinks is a great captain, has completely failed to do that . In five years Dhoni has not been able to resolve his issues with Sehwag and now he has problems with Gambhir . And Gambhir has problems with his Delhi team mate Kohli . Zak does not think much of Dhoni .But because Zak is the back bone of Indian bowling Dhoni cannot treat him like Sehwag. What an achievement for a "leader" like Dhoni . Somehow he has managed to create a divided team that I had only heard of from my elders(you know those times when Gavaskar-Kapil etc etc would lock horns..).
And frankly, there is nothing wrong if Zak shows attitude, he has performance to justify it.
Dhoni is still one of my fav players, but I am starting to get a bit fed up of him and his antics in the team.

A lot more can be said about this former, failed India coach .

Last edited:

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Surely that's ridiculous though?

No one is bigger than a team? Even KP had to go sort himself out before he was allowed to play. Samit was dropped and told to work on his fitness, prove that you WANT to play for your country.

These guys act like their playing for some sunday league team. They'll just turn up when they want, play how they want, and anyone who tries to motivate them to work harder, well they can sod off?

Does no one from India think that's an issue? Because to me, that implies when you're winning, doing ok, playing at home, things will be good. But that if things get tough, no one will care and will slip away (as too many of them do). Essentially, no one loses with as much disinterest as India recently. Even Bangladesh look like their trying when they're getting spanked!

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
While you're points are perfectly valid about the state of the Indian team puddleduck, you can hardly blame the Indians reacting to his more absurd anthropologist views.

Users who are viewing this thread