Interview Thread: April 2009 (barmyarmy) - Your questions answered!!!

Highlander999

ICC President
Well here are the answers from barmyarmy to all the questions you asked him. Got to say I was surprised at how many there were. Thanks to barmyarmy for answering them so quickly.

Funkanth: Why the name Barmyarmy?

barmyarmy: More behind this than you might think. When I joined PC in 2003 there was a civil war going on in cricket gaming's little online world. I was a member at another site (NZWarriors) and was trying to fly under the radar by changing my username.
The propaganda-de-jour at NZWarriors was that ste and zim were hackers with the ability to take over your computer if you so much as talked to them on MSN. Being totally new to online forums and not entirely sure about whether such things were possible or who was actually telling the truth I decided to stick a foot in both camps anyway
After a disagreement with a 14 yo staff member at NZWarriors who had rated my post as "good" and annoyed me I signed up at PC sounding off about how I was an incredibly mature 19 and wasn't about to have 14 year olds tell me what to do (little did I know). I choose barmyarmy partly to get the English members at PC onside but mostly cos I'd been touring with the Barmy Army in New Zealand the previous year and was very proud of my tour polo shirt! Also I thought the gif (which I ripped off their website) was pretty cool.
In a satisfying post script to the story I eventually changed my username at NZWarriors (by now NXSports and then OneSports) to barmyarmy and became an admin there.
Almost certainly more than you were expecting from that answer!

Xuzuno: I heard you're a Crusaders rugby team fan. Why are you a fan of a team on the other side of the world?

barmyarmy: Pretty simple one this! I worked at Marlborough Boys' College in Blenheim for a year in 2001 and couldn't help but become a Crusader's fan. Saw a pre-super 12 match against the Waratahs in Blenheim and then went to Jade Stadium for the semi against the Highlanders. I also met a few of the players through the school.

Leicester Fox: Stuart "the sexy seamer" Broad or Chris "Rambo" Broad?

barmyarmy: Looks vs experience. Blondes don't do it for me normally but I'd give TSS a chance.

Akash00: Have you been to India? If not, would you like to?

barmyarmy: No and yes. I've been lucky enough to visit a hell of a lot of countries around the world and have been to Thailand and China in Asia but not to India. Will have to try and get onto a Barmy Army tour there once I've worked out how to get 2 months off work in November.

Hitterman: If you will be asked to keep only one on staff position from Whitehornmatt and Highlander999, whom you will keep as a staff and whom you will not keep as staff member. (Please choose one only and reason also)

barmyarmy: Sadly for Highlander999 it's not a hard question! Until he learns all the techy stuff that WHM does to keep the site going it's not even a fair fight.

Kshitiz_Indian: How many usernotes do I have and what all do they say?

barmyarmy: You've got 12. Here they are:

Andrew Nixon - "don't like the look of this member"
aussie1st - "totally agree. Let's ban him"
zimrahil - "why is this muppet still here?"
Burma's Finest - "trying to make a cricket patch. Don't make me laugh"
Kev - "everytime I see him post it makes me weep"
Brad352 - "Kill. kill, kill"
Whitehornmatt - "is going to try and run his own site. Should be good for a laugh"
barmyarmy - "all our members deserve a chance guys. Let's remember that we didn't all start out as perfect members. Peace and love"
ste - "a chance? The only thing he deserves is to have weights tied to him and then tossed into the sea"
sureshot - "idiot"
nightprowler10 - "why are so many Indian members still unbanned?"
sangam - "I don't even know who this guy is but I sure as hell don't like him"

skater: What was the deal with NZ Warriors?

barmyarmy: See my blog post her and PC history here.
Like I said it was hard to know who to actually believe when I first signed up. I only joined nzwarriors because of something vineet at cricket2002.tk posted.

shravi: How do I curb my excessive levels of godliness? I feel I am making those around me jealous.

barmyarmy: I suffer from this problem myself. I find the solution to be to go on about my godliness ad nauseum and allow my friends to set me straight.

WORLD CHAMPIONS: when you will stop your evil pranks :mad :p

barmyarmy: No plan on doing so soon. Let's call it a perk of the job.

Usy: Where do you see the current bunch of regular PC members in next few years including yourslef, and I and us? still stuck on this forum? :)

barmyarmy: We could end up with some members Kev's age or even Zim's age. I anticipate you to enter the Swedish parliament by 2013 and, as for me, I might well be living in New Zealand again by then.

aussie1st: WC consider you as his bro is it the same for you? Or is it sis for you?

barmyarmy: To quote Robbie Burns, "that man-to-man shall brothers be the whole world o'er, for all that".

Highlander999: What is your favourite drink on a night out and why?

barmyarmy: Has to be the 3am malt whiskey. You wouldn't be able to afford it being a student ;)

whitehornmatt: Do you think the UK will ever fall in line with Europe and go fully metric and put the Queen on the Euro? And as a secondary question, will the release of a good cricket game come before or after these events?

barmyarmy: I don't think the UK will have a choice. The trouble is that decision is still seen as a political one and not an economic one. The more the pound plummets in value and our businesses start to get jumpy the more inevitable the drive towards EMU will be. As for the metric system, that's generational. We teach metric in the schools (miles excepted) so once the current generation grows up no-one will be using imperial.
In response to your secondary question the greatest cricket game ever known to man will be released shortly before the start of the never-ending nuclear winter and rise in seas levels by 100 metres that ends WWIII.

Will_NA: Why is the Big Mac named so even though it isn't the biggest burger in the franchise? Is Big a standard measurement?

barmyarmyIt's actually named after a famous Scotsman to whom the burger bore a startling resemblence. I feel more sorry for his teenage son cheese burger.
To quote Pulp Fiction "You know what they call a Big Mac in France? Le Big Mac."

King Pietersen: Would you rather make love to a woman with the body of a fish or the body of a horse? Explain with reasons

barmyarmy: There seems to me to be a kinky mermaid thing buried in there. Body of a horse would be way too much like living in the west country so I'll go for Cat's combination in Red Dwarf where his mergirl has the top half of a fish and the bottom half of a woman.

KBC: When will you leave PC?

barmyarmy: When I've squeezed all the money out of it I can...

aussie_ben91: Who is more knowledgable about cricket on this forum - Manee or Sohum?

barmyarmy: Tough question and the honest answer is that I don't know. Andrew Nixon was the most knowledgable person about cricket on the forum. Between Manee and Sohum I guess that Sohum has the advantage of a few extra years but I enjoy reading both of their posts and couldn't make a proper judgement.

friend863: What qualites should be in user to become a admin?

barmyarmy: A healthy bank balance is a pre-requisite. Also the ability to go without sleep for prolongued periods and ban a troll in under 3 seconds.

evertonfan: Why did you choose to support Everton?

barmyarmy: I'm a glory hunter.

Feelin Blue?: Do you watch Rugby League? If so, what team do you support? And if you do watch Rugby League, do you watch/support a team in the NRL?

barmyarmy: I don't. It's very much a northern thing here in the UK and I was brought up in London. I used to enjoy watching and playing rugby league when I was at school but I've never followed a team. One of the first computer games I bought back in about 1996 was IRL which I didn't realise was League not Union til I bought it. I guess I liked playing with Manley and Brisbane because they were the two best teams but I never supported either.
As you might know I was at last year's State of Origin third final in Sydney and was definitely behind NSW. I've always thought that an average league game is better than an average union game but a brilliant union game is much better than a brilliant league game.

Bibu07: Who is your favourite footballer? and Why?

barmyarmy: Gee, I think I stopped having favourite footballers when I left primary school... I like watching Mikel Arteta play but if you're asking me to pick someone without everton-tinted specs then I'd probably have to say John Terry (*ducks missiles from Utd and Liverpool fans*).

King Cricket: Suppose the rage virus, as shown in the Danny Boyle film "28 days later" and it's sequel, really spreads all over England. And you are a member of the British army who are trying to eliminate these zombies. Will you assist your fellow soldiers in their risky work (there is a chance of becoming a zombie yourself), or will you remain in the safe side and just flee from the country?

barmyarmy: You posted two not one so I'll answer the more interesting one. I'd definitely be on the first plane to Australia or New Zealand; I don't have much stomach for shooting zombies at the best of times.

Abhas: Being an admin of such a site is tough. Tell us about any one decision/move you have regretted?

barmyarmy: Agreeing to answer these questions...
Seriously, I very much regret the whole saga surrounding Duffarama but I wouldn't change anything about the way myself or the other admins dealt with it.
In terms of things I've got wrong and would like to take back, I relied too heavily on IP matches and intuition in perma banning a member called Cricket Doctor for massive account faking and plagiarism who was 80% probably totally innocent.

Harrypotter fan: What is the subject of the newest PM you received?

barmyarmy: Kinda changes constantly if you see what I mean. At the moment I'm typing this it's "Re: Hey, Some Questions" sent to me by a new member.

PranavPathak: Who is your best off-line buddy? Tell us about him

barmyarmy: I ain't going to tell you too much but he's a doctor from Yorkshire and we were flatmates for 3 years at uni.

chetan0304: Do you enjoy playing Cricket 07? do you add the latest stuff released by patch maker? if yes which was the last one?

barmyarmy: Decent question; rubbish answer :p. I don't have the game.
To try and give you a better answer I promised myself after c2k5 that I wouldn't be sucked in by EA again and get C07. Little did I know that I would have to pass up 3 free copies to keep that promise! I wil be getting C09 too... (hopefully free!)

Kev: u?op?p?sdn p??? o? ??p??? ?? pu?? no? op

barmyarmy: uo??s?nb ??? ?o no? ?p??s?? s?? o?? ?q p?n????u? ??o? ?,? ??no??l? 's??

nightprowler10: What's your favorite AC/DC song that's not on the Back In Black album and why?

barmyarmy: Erm, I'm going to have to phone a friend on that one...

Maney2k9: What is the funniest thing you have ever seen ever? In real life or on TV?

barmyarmy: No idea but in the last 2 weeks would have to be a note a Primary 4 (8yo) wrote to his teacher when her father died. "I'm really sorry your dad died. I hope he gets better soon."

Kev: Over the years, this site has seen many changes. With the serious lack of decent cricket games currently, and changes to internet usage (cheaper,faster internet has probably lead to users spending more time online than before) The site is probably more popular than ever in terms of the numbers of people it is reaching, but the focus of the site has certainly moved away from cricket gaming and certainly has a much more general chat feel about it. How do you feel about this? Do you think the blame can be laid at the poor quality cricket games we are presented with and more to the point do you think if a decent game ever hits the street the site will return to a more focused cricket gaming site or are those days lost to the past?

barmyarmy: It's been a concious shift based on how dead the site has been in the past in the lull between cricket games. Cricket-gaming was a useful niche to start the site off on but I think if we were serious about building a community and not just a place where patchers gather for 2 months after a game release we had to shift that focus.
We still don't get the high levels of debate on a wide range of topics as some other sites, due to our demographic being relatively young as gaming is still the gateway, but I think the site has a better feel, especially towards new members, then some of the clique-driven, troll-inhabited flame-fests that pass for forums on the net ;)
I find your use of the word "blame" rather pejorative; certainly poor cricket games has necessitated a shift but it's one we would have made anyway. I'm sure you remember the debates about how to focus the site more on real cricket and some might say (and indeed did say) that progress there was too slow.
I'm confident not that the games due for release this summer will be any good but that they will be seized upon and edited by the community here. The main concern with the new Codemasters is how uneditable is has been in the past (especially AI) and how short that has made the shelf-life. I think the new EA title will be similar enough to past releases that previous mods will still work.
To sum up I'm not concerned by the increased general chat feel and whilst I'd welcome more engaged and constructive debate in cricket discussion (and less of these, "my favourite player is the best in the world and you're an idiot if you disagree" threads) I think we've made some progress from where we were 2/3 years ago. I don't think we'll ever return to being solely about cricket-gaming but that, for me, is a positive thing.

maps: How do you explain winning best post contributor every year since it's inception nearly 6 years ago?

barmyarmy: A careful balance of bribery, intimidation, fraud, blackmail and blatant cheating.

Gilly Fan: We know you went to Australia. Which is the best city, and the best place/landmark that you saw/went to?

barmyarmy: My second time in Australia. First time I went to Uluru and up to Cape Trib. This time from Sydney round to Adelaide.
Best city - Sydney. Not so much the city itself but definitely the whole surrounding area. Best place/landmark has to be the Adelaide Oval - we actually got to go inside the scoreboard!!! SCG was very cool too although I found the MCG totally soul-less.

ste_mc_efc: Betty or Wilma?

barmyarmy: "I think in all probability, Wilma Flintstone is the most desirable woman that ever lived. Well, I would go with Betty... but I'd be thinking of Wilma."

Usy: If an angel comes down, takes you away for a whole day, tells you about Heaven and Hells. How would you live your life after that experience?

barmyarmy: I'd probably check into rehab.

GiggityGiggity: If you had to choose between resigning as admin or having to ban any member and get sacked. What would you choose? Who would you ban?

barmyarmy: Not sure you quite understand how the management structure works... ;)
To rephrase that for you would I resign if fellow admins refused to ban a member I wanted gone? No. No member is important enough on my radar for me to bother doing that! I did almost resign a few years ago over a fellow global moderator.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Evil Colin said:
I did almost resign a few years ago over a fellow global moderator.
I thought we'd agreed never to mention that again!

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
The Evil One said:
In response to your secondary question the greatest cricket game ever known to man will be released shortly before the start of the never-ending nuclear winter and rise in seas levels by 100 metres that ends WWIII..
So basically it'll just be a java applet saying "Bad Light Stopped Play"?

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Which answer did Tom change this time round?

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
barmyarmy: A healthy bank balance is a pre-requisite. Also the ability to go without sleep for prolongued periods and ban a troll in under 3 seconds.
Suppose this is the more true answer why you never promoted me to admin.

I might well be living in New Zealand again by then.
Damn, another country to cross of the "Potential places to move" list. Marvellous.

having watched too much West Wing, quite fancy a job as a political speech writer...
Is it just me who didn't like the ending?

80% probably totally innocent.
It's no wonder your gut instinct failed :crying

Let's remember that we didn't all start out as perfect members.
Speak for yourself...

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Andrew Nixon - "don't like the look of this member"
aussie1st - "totally agree. Let's ban him"
zimrahil - "why is this muppet still here?"
Burma's Finest - "trying to make a cricket patch. Don't make me laugh"
Kev - "everytime I see him post it makes me weep"
Brad352 - "Kill. kill, kill"
Whitehornmatt - "is going to try and run his own site. Should be good for a laugh"
barmyarmy - "all our members deserve a chance guys. Let's remember that we didn't all start out as perfect members. Peace and love"
ste - "a chance? The only thing he deserves is to have weights tied to him and then tossed into the sea"
sureshot - "idiot"
nightprowler10 - "why are so many Indian members still unbanned?"
sangam - "I don't even know who this guy is but I sure as hell don't like him"

I just have to ask this question. Why did you type this all out when all you could do was copy it? ;) :p

Users who are viewing this thread