Is AB de Villiers The Best Ever?

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
^ Did you like miss the whole point of the conversation? That conversation about Dhoni and AB is about ODI's, not test matches.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
^ Did you like miss the whole point of the conversation? That conversation about Dhoni and AB is about ODI's, not test matches.

For me test matches are the only thing that counts...

Abs stats are still better then MS even after taking into account where he bats...

grkrama

National Board President
The MSD thing was stated with sarcastic intent at the start to say batsman cant be measured by stats in regards to stefan's reply about Abd having high average and SR as ODI batsman, which MSD also has give or take in each of their stats, MSD is no way the best batsman in ODI[certainly the best finisher though along with bevan]

ABD is certainly one of the best in this currentgen! AB hardly makes the cut as the best ever ODI batsman now to proclaim in tests would be near laughable! He can join the ranks over time and its a long queue if its across all eras!

think its time this thread is closed!

S

Satan666

For me test matches are the only thing that counts...

Abs stats are still better then MS even after taking into account where he bats...

Well news flash buddy, typically folks from the subcontinent tend to think that ODI are a cut above test cricket. Trying to convince them otherwise, well lets just dont even bother!

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Well news flash buddy, typically folks from the subcontinent tend to think that ODI are a cut above test cricket. Trying to convince them otherwise, well lets just dont even bother!

I understand that and it really annoys me that that is the future of cricket...

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The MSD thing was stated with sarcastic intent at the start

I've learned that some people here don't understand sarcasm: i'm honestly surprised that my joe root post didn't get a reaction from someone thinking that it was serious.

I should dig out that reply I got to a post that I made saying that Bradman was worse than Ramprakash because he scored less first class runs: all I remember that it was long, and was full of stats. I just remember laughing at how dumb it was

although you do need to be a little ridiculous: "Dhoni or AB?" is a genuine debate: while calling Joe Root the best limited overs cricket player ever is something that there is obviously no debate over; because it is obviously 100% true and anyone that says otherwise is obviously trolling

and @Markkkkk please actually read a thread before replying to it: because if you don't you are liable to look like a bit of a fool...

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
and @Markkkkk please actually read a thread before replying to it: because if you don't you are liable to look like a bit of a fool...

Well he basically did make a fool of himself and therefore decided to drag the argument on a topic which had no relation to the conversation or thread topic.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
S

Satan666

Not everyone is perfect we all make mistakes and its a bit disgusting when you single out a particular member and ridicule him because he simply may have been a little quick in replying to a thread.

The MSD thingy did started of with sarcasm but it has developed into somewhat of a debate in the last couple of posts. Not batting for the guy but he did make a valid point in stating that when comparing both we should also look at their test stats.

Guess some may regard this post as sarcasm or me 'looking a bit like a fool' but hopefully someone grasps the idea of not singling out a particular member for ridicule, none of us will feel happy if we're on the receiving end.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Not everyone is perfect we all make mistakes and its a bit disgusting when you single out a particular member and ridicule him because he simply may have been a little quick in replying to a thread.

I think the problem with the Bradman/Ramprakash post was that far from being a little quick, he spent the time giving an exhaustive stats comparison to something that was obviously a joke...

stefan

International Coach
You also have to look at their batting order. AB has mostly batted in the top 4. From last couple of years, he has been batting at number 4, which gives him more overs to face. Dhoni since he became a captain which was a long time ago, bats at number 6 and he rarely comes up the order. So most likely he has 10 or 15 overs to bat and you can't expect him to score a century during that time interval. Most of those century has came when Dhoni was not a captain and was given a chance at the top of the order or when our top order collapsed.

AB generally comes in with about 20 overs to face so he doesn't have that many more overs then dhoni to face. He doesn't always bat at 4, bats at 5 quite often as well. Also with dhoni being captain he could have always batted himself higher if he felt he wasn't getting enough overs to make 100's...

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)

grkrama

National Board President
Also with dhoni being captain he could have always batted himself higher if he felt he wasn't getting enough overs to make 100's...

because MSD aka Dark knight[India LTD] doesnt do what you want but whats best for the team, which is finishing of the match as last man standing. FYI he averages 82 and 70 odd at battign pos 3 and 4 with around 900+ runs each in 15 + matches in both positions respectively.!

The point im making is not who is best of dhoni or ABD, but using stats like avg and SR as a measure up to say who the best batsman across eras isnt the best idea!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread