Your Cricket Jakes 2009/10 cricket season log

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
OK, firstly, welcome to my log.

So I've taken a bit of a break from the weights, training, whole working out thing. I'm back now, and am ready to go again. I plan on starting fresh, again with light weights, good form, and be a lot more cricket specific.

I have some old cricket magazines that have plenty of training ideas, hints, tips and the like, and am going to use them regularly. I am going to do cardio often. I am not going to be following a high protein diet like I have previously, rather just make healthy choices more often, combined with my exercising.

Program:
Monday - Back, Biceps, Forearms
Wednesday - Legs and abs
Friday - Chest, shoulders and triceps

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday will be bodyweight workouts, cardio and cricket specific exercises and training. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
P

pcfan123

Good luck mate, just don't forget to play cricket while your doing all that!

OffCutters

International Coach
Yeah, i think your abit too young too work out, people usually start at bout 16 i think. Working out too early may make it harder for your body to grow especially at 12-13. But you can still do strength-building exercises such as Sit-ups, Push-ups etc.

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
I thought you were only 13 or 14? Isn't that just a fraction young to be working out?

Yeah, i think your abit too young too work out, people usually start at bout 16 i think. Working out too early may make it harder for your body to grow especially at 12-13. But you can still do strength-building exercises such as Sit-ups, Push-ups etc.

Yes I am 13, but I hate reading stuff like this. "You're too young", and stuff like this annoys me a lot. In the end, it's my body, so I can do what I wish with it, and I have never had a problem working out before, and have been doing weights occasionally since I was about 11.

Jakester1288 added 1 Minutes and 33 Seconds later...

Good luck mate, just don't forget to play cricket while your doing all that!

Thanks bro.

I'll be playing cricket every Wednesday afternoon for school sport, and maybe at school, depending on whether we (we being my group) decide to continue playing Rugby League or move on to Cricket with summer nearing. Other than school, there is no cricket on the pre season. However, my senior team is running 2 pre season training sessions, that I will be attending if possible.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
First of how old are you, if you are only 13-14 doing weights is sort of pointless in a way, and risky.

Program:
Monday - Back, Biceps, Forearms
Wednesday - Legs
Friday - Chest, shoulders and triceps

That's not a bad programme for a 16-17 year old, actually I did something very similar when I was that age. The best thing to do would not to go overboard. I tried the whole gain muscle and get bigger thing, and it doesn't work for cricket. I started to pick up injuires, firstly on my right ankle, then my knee and to finish it of broke my left leg. Stick to cardio and if your a bowler do alot of Ab work. A HP ND guy gave me a pretty mean work-out for a bowler which just includes heaps of cardio, and core ab work with a little bit of weights involved.

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
First of how old are you, if you are only 13-14 doing weights is sort of pointless in a way, and risky.

That's not a bad programme for a 16-17 year old, actually I did something very similar when I was that age. The best thing to do would not to go overboard. I tried the whole gain muscle and get bigger thing, and it doesn't work for cricket. I started to pick up injuires, firstly on my right ankle, then my knee and to finish it of broke my left leg. Stick to cardio and if your a bowler do alot of Ab work. A HP ND guy gave me a pretty mean work-out for a bowler which just includes heaps of cardio, and core ab work with a little bit of weights involved.

I'm 13, as I mentioned above.

My program is starting off with light weights getting good form. Plus, in cricket, every muscle is used, and I am working on training them all. Name me a muscle you don't use in cricket. It's impossible.

EDIT: Name me a muscle in cricket you don't use without being rude. :p

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Being only 13 I can't imagine you would put that much muscle on tbh, unless you were some genetic freak :p

It's probably not a bad thing if you get started at a young age, just don't try and go overboard with it. Thing is your only a kid basically, you don't know how much bigger your going to grow.

You are a bowler aren't you?

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
Being only 13 I can't imagine you would put that much muscle on tbh, unless you were some genetic freak :p

It's probably not a bad thing if you get started at a young age, just don't try and go overboard with it. Thing is your only a kid basically, you don't know how much bigger your going to grow.

You are a bowler aren't you?

Allrounder.

I follow a bodybuilding forum, I know a lot about nutrition and lifting, exercising, ages, genetics and the like. I'm pretty safe.

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
It is not pointless to be working out at 13/14, as long as the intesity is not too high. I have been working out constantly with a flexical excercise programme for quite a while now. Jake says he follows a bodybuilding forum and he seems to have a tad sense of intelligence at least, which will mean he picks up alot from that forum and inserts that into his programme - to an extent. He isn't obviously going to be lifting 10/15kg too much and going to burn out and as long as he keeps the rest period good and gets the schedule planned out, he'll be fine.

Saying that, I don't think you perhaps need to do alot of muscle work when you're 13/14 for cricket.

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
Tuesday 4th August, 2009

Time to get motivated and started on this. I've probably left it too late already, I don't want to be postponing it any longer.

We have training this Sunday, the first of two pre season training sessions. I am very disappointed in how poor I was over the off season, following a program for a couple of months, then just stopping. Now it's warming up, cricket season is coming, and I am starting to get motivated.

I will be posting regular updates here from every training session, match and workout/fitness session.

This weeks program:

Monday - Passed
Tuesday - Passed
Wednesday - Bodyweight workout + Nets at school
Thursday - Bodyweight workout
Friday - Bodyweight workout
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Pre season cricket training

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
LOL we're a real lazy team, certainly my athletics will be a higher priority than cricket this summer;)

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
Wednesday 5th August, 2009
Nets and bodyweight workout

I'm really pleased with my efforts in the nets today, I felt good, I didn't feel as sore, and I'm confident I can do well with the ball on Sunday. My batting, however, I'm not confident with. I was really poor, I wasn't happy with it at all.

The bodyweight workout, I'm also disappointed with that. A couple of months ago, I would have completed it. I couldn't even complete it properly today, but at least now I've got a base, and will work on it.

Program for next week to hopefully come soon.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
I thought you started 2/3 weeks ago?

First training is always a son of a ####, you never feel right with the bat.

Users who are viewing this thread