Journeyman Career

Status
Not open for further replies.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Have written this for the hell of it since I started this game on FM10 a hell of a long time ago. Seeings as FM11 has started to fried chicken up for me, I've gone back to this save. This isn't really a story, more of a game update, but I hope you enjoy the writing.

-----------------------

CLUBS MANAGED

2009-10 Necaxa ? Mexican Promotion League

Record: P39, W20, D13, L6, GD+37

Honours: None

2010-present Cheltenham Town ? Blue Square Premier

Record: P18, W8, D4, L6.

Honours: None

----------

After three and a half months without a job, following my departure from Mexican club Necaxa, Cheltenham Town chairman Paul Baker offered me a deal until 2013 to manage the team back into league football following their relegation from League Two last season. Having won their opening two games of the season they slumped to a nine game winless streak and found themselves in the relegation zone. It?s my job to get them up the table and back into title contention. It will be far from easy, especially with such a small club and limited money, but I?m looking forward to the challenge.

Cheltenham Town 1-0 Ebbsfleet United (Goulding)

First game, first win. It was a tight game and we didn?t create a lot in fairness, but at the back we were very solid. A knock to the skipper will see him out for 3 weeks is a massive blow but with a few signings in mind ahead of our next match we should be able to cover. Jeff Goulding was the man with the goal, heading superbly into the net on 52 minutes. We move up to 16th just one place behind our next opponents Forest Green.

28 year old French attacking midfielder Thomas Pinault signs a two year deal with the club on a free transfer.

Former Leicester star Stefan Oakes also joins the club on a two year deal. The 32 year old centre midfielder will form the heart of the team with his experience and creativity.

Linked with the vacant Carlisle job but snub suggestions of ever considering taking the position.

We complete our third signing of the week. Keith Lowe, 25, will come in to replace our injured skipper at centre back. This means we now have decent depth to our squad and we will hopefully be able to cope with injuries this season.

Forest Green Rovers 3-2 Cheltenham Town (Hammond x2)

An exciting game of football that unfortunately didn?t go our way at the end. We went own early thanks to poor defending from corners but fought back. The new midfield pairing of Oakes and Pinault were superb and created some brilliant chances. Oakes was the provider for Hammond to get the first and then Pinault passed to Goulding before he played in Hammond for the second. However, with ten minutes left to play we conceded a third and final goal to round up a disappointing day against our local(ish) rivals. A big game against 2nd placed York is up next.

Cheltenham Town 0-4 York

Totally outclassed by a side that should get promoted this season. Their strikers were clinical, putting away all their one-on-ones and make sure they would be going back up North a happy bunch. Back to the drawing board to get the team prepared for a trip to Rushden & Diamonds. We slip into the relegation zone but a win would lift us back out. Brighton sack Poyet and the press question me once again, but I am by no means leaving.

Drawn against local side Gloucester in the FA Cup Qualification Fourth Round. At home, should be a safe passage through to the next round.

Rushden & Diamonds 1-2 Cheltenham Town (Clare, Goulding)

Well what a game! We gave Rushden a footballing lesson for 90 minutes but almost threw away everything in injury time. Two penalties in the 3rd and 4th minute of added time were saved by our keeper Scott Brown making sure we left with a well deserved victory. The margin of victory should have been greater, especially as Clare was brought down just outside the area by the last man moments before the last gasp penalties. Clare put us one up after 11 minutes but our dominance wasn?t shown on the scoreboard until the 70th minute when Goulding slotted home to stretch our lead. They got one back with ten minutes to go and thankfully we were able to hold on despite the late drama. We move past Rushden up into 18th ? only 8 points outside the play-off places ? with a tough home game against 4th placed Kidderminster at the weekend.

Cheltenham Town 2-6 Kidderminster (Clare x2)

Embarrassing! Not just because of the amount of goals conceded but because of the amount of opportunities that were spurned. It probably should have been 5-5 at half time, but sitters were missed and we went in 5-1 down. They scored all 5 within the first 20 minutes. We conceded two penalties for the second game running, however, this time they were both put away. We were better after the break and pulled a second back before substitute Keith Lowe handed them a sixth with his unnecessary challenge in the area. We have a chance to put this game behind us with our FA Cup Qualifying match with Gloucester next up.

It?s been exactly a month since since I was appointed Cheltenham Town manager. My record as it stands: P5, W2, L3. A steady start which was to be expected with a new team.

Cheltenham Town 1-1 Gloucester (Hammond)

We didn?t deserve to win and we now have to play an extra game we don?t need. We scored late but they scored later than us with a screamer. Nothing more to be said. Our replay is at Corinium Stadium in 4 days time.

If we beat Gloucester, and it?s a big if, we shall be play Manchester United in the First Round of the FA Cup. Oh wait, sorry, it?s FC United of Manchester. The tie is scheduled for November 6.

Gloucester 0-1 Cheltenham Town (Frewen)

A win is a win. Frost in October brought out the orange ball but it had no affect on either team as we both continued to play like one legged cockroaches. We scored in the second half and played the game out to progress into the First Round proper. We will need to pick it up for our next match ? a trip to Luton to face the league leaders.

Luton Town 1-2 Cheltenham Town (Mills, Goulding)

An outstanding victory against the title favourites. Having gone one-nil down I thought they might start to dominate, but we equalised immediately and then managed to snatch a winner. Excellent performance from the boys and hopefully this will kick start our charge up the table. Another challenge awaits us in the shape of Cambridge ? who sit 2nd ? in four days time. Davies sacked at Forest. Me linked with the job. They should know my answer by now...

Cambridge United 2-5 Cheltenham Town (Hammond, Mills, Goulding x3)

Unbelievable, incredible, outstanding ? all words that could be used to describe our performance today. The tone was set when Hammond scored, in my eyes, the goal of the year. He blasted a 30 yard strike into the top corner to give us the lead. Cambridge hit back immediately before we once again went ahead. The cycle repeated itself as Matthews scored his second for Cambridge, but Goulding?s header sent us 3-2 up after only 27 minutes. We then got hold of the game producing some superb football which was rewarded with two more goals from Goulding before the half to complete his hat-trick. We kept it tight in the second half and could have scored more but a 5-2 score line was more than enough over a strong Cambridge side. The only blemish on a superb day was the news that French midfielder Thomas Pinault would be out for up to 6 weeks with a broken wrist.

Cheltenham Town 2-2 FC United of Manchester (Hammond, Goulding)

Another hiccup at home against weaker opposition in the cup. We went 2-0 up and looked to be cruising but two second half goals for FC United meant they bag a replay at their place. Once again it gives an extra game we didn?t need but as long as we get through I?m not too fussed.

If we beat FC united in the First Round Replay we will travel to Blue Square Premier counterparts Crawley on November 27.

Cheltenham Town 1-2 Grays Athletic (Goulding)

Not good enough. Nowhere near fried chickening good enough. One-nil up and cruising we somehow lose all concentration and concede twice without reply to lose the game. The first time I?ve been pissed after a match. That?s a big three points we?ve thrown away there and we go from being within 7 points of the play-offs to 10 away. I expect us to thrash FC United in four days time!

FC United of Manchester 3-3 Cheltenham Town ? Cheltenham win 3-2 on penalties (Goulding x3)

Well, we won. Goulding was outstanding again but it was a very ordinary performance overall. Anyway, time to move on and look forward to the Second Round at the end of the month. Next up we take on Chelmsford at home.

Cheltenham Town 2-0 Chelmsford (Hammond, Mills)

A comfortable victory against a surprisingly lacklustre Chelmsford side. Mills was superb down the right wing, causing trouble for the full 90 minutes. We move up into 16th ? our highest position since my arrival ? and have a trip to bottom side Bishop?s Stortford coming up.

Bishop?s Strotford 2-0 Cheltenham Town

Why can?t we beat the ████ teams? And we?ve lost to the shittest of them all. Ridiculously frustrating. Earlier in the day we drew Workington in the First Round of the FA Trophy. Crawley next...

Crawley Town 4-1 Cheltenham Town (Hammond)

As soon as Townsend was sent off for a professional foul inside the penalty area on 14 minutes I knew the game would go the home side?s way. A game and competition to forget looking to our next league fixture against Eastbourne Boro. Will be gutted if Crawley draw one of the big guns in the next round.

Pinault returns to full fitness and not a day too soon. Crawley bagged Bolton away in the FA Cup Third Round.

Cheltenham Town 1-1 Eastbourne Boro (Pullan og)

Well it was always going to be an own goal if we were to get on the score sheet in this match because none of our players were finding the back of the net no matter where they were in relation to the goal. Considering our performance I?m fairly content with a point, but we need wins and fast.

Hayes & Yeading 1-4 Cheltenham Town (Mills x2, Clare x2)

I could tell things would go our way today when a reckless two footed challenge from their centre mid saw him earn himself an early bath after just three minutes. Mills was once again sublime down the right wing, cutting inbetween the left back and centre back to score twice. Two goals from Clare meant we made good use of the chance to regain some of our negative goal difference. Thankfully we now have a week to regain fitness before our FA Trophy First Round match with Workington.

Cheltenham Town 2-0 Workington (Mills x2)

It was our very own Theo Walcott that showed his talent once again scoring his fourth in two games to put us through to the next round of the FA Trophy. Next up is a must win game against AFC Wimbledon who currently sit three places behind us in 20th. We will be without right back Kyle Haynes for 4 weeks after he was taken off with a knee injury.

We draw a home tie in the Second Round of the FA Trophy against either Welling or Grays. I?d expect us to make it through no matter which team we face, although Welling may be easier to overcome.

Welling it is after a 1-0 win away from home in the replay.

Merry Christmas everyone. Record stands at P18, W8, D4, L6.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
My laptop breaking tweaked up this save. However, I'm playing with the idea of bringing back my Ghana story. Not sure yet though.

Could a mod please delete/close this. Thanks.

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
Closed, well bring back something. What happened to the other FM story you had (can't remember the name, not the Ghana one). I know you can't reply though :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread