Key areas for England to assess

OnlyClarkey

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yes yes, we managed to snatch a draw from the Aussies fingertips and all that. But we're no closer to gaining the Urn. It just means 1 less chance at winning.

I'll start from the top. Alistair Cook? He's looking out of shape, is he worth playing in the 2nd test when Bopara could probably open. If dropped, Bell could easily come in at 3 or 4, allowing Pietersen the other. Bell needs a chance, he will play well if he's chosen, in my opinion. And it also allows Pietersen a go at 3 if he wants it.

Next on the agenda, Stuart Broad. Useful with the bat, but what's happened to his bowling? I say he needs to be dropped for the next game, allowing Ryan Sidebottom to get his chance. Siddy has the agression and passion required to make each ball a battle. He's also pretty handy with the bat.

Finally, 2 spinners? 1 spinner? Now we've got the spinning pitch out of the way, I'm afraid I would drop Monty. He is a better spinner, no doubt, but Swann is not that much worse and provides a very good anchor with the bat. In his place, Steve Harmison. Time for him to step up and prove he's still got it.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Please stop this ridiculous Cook hate.

It's getting silly. Yes he had a bad game. So what. KP did, Strauss did, Bopara did. Bell is far worse than Cook. Cook just overcomes his mental issues with getting centurys, he has 1 bad game and people call for him to be dropped. Joke.

Bell is crap.

Broad bowled badly, he knows he is playing for his place in the side now.

D

Deleted member 13648

Jimmy opening for a start. Replace Broad for Harmison. Job's a good'un.

OnlyClarkey

Club Cricketer
Please stop this ridiculous Cook hate.

It's getting silly. Yes he had a bad game. So what. KP did, Strauss did, Bopara did. Bell is far worse than Cook. Cook just overcomes his mental issues with getting centurys, he has 1 bad game and people call for him to be dropped. Joke.

Bell is crap.

Broad bowled badly, he knows he is playing for his place in the side now.

I'm not hating Cook at all. I just know that he's done this before. Loss of form, then he struggles to convert 50's into 100's. Is that what we need from an opener?

P

pcfan123

Bopara to open? no way, he looked uncomfortable enough against a rising new ball. I seem to recall him standing there and just taking one in the throat.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
So he has already got the blame for the next game. Well if you're going to do it that way then we might as well drop him now because even if he averages 100 he'll never be good enough for some.

Sureshot

Executive member
He showed remarked improvement against the WI (yes, it's the WI, but you could still tell he improved), plus he has been in excellent form this season, averaging nearly 80.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Same with Broad. Showed marked improvement against the Windies, and has 16 wickets at 21 in FC cricket. He shouldn't be dropped after 1 bad game, and neither should Cook.

Sureshot

Executive member
Broad is on thinner ground than Cook, but yes, the same point. He did also get a niggle on the first day. Considering he wasn't much less effective than the others.

Obviously, we will change the attack as 2 spinners at Lord's isn't going to happen.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I've been consistently unconvinced by Bopara.
Problems are our inability to take 20 wickets - will that be sorted out by a better track? - and our inconsistent top order.
If we want to beat the Aussies we need to scare and dominate them like 2005. I don't see Broad or Panesar doing that. Right now I don't even see Freddie doing it.

Sureshot

Executive member
I reckon Onions would be a pretty good part of a fiery attack, as would Sidebottom. You are right on the domination part, we need to have a bit more bravado. Panesar just isn't cut for it at the moment, his ability to take wickets isn't there (as proven by the whole season, amazed he got picked).

karnog

International Cricketer
England need to balance their bowling attack and give more of a responsibility to Colly (put him at 3). But then again i thought so even before the final day:D. There is a case for a sixth batsman too. Look at what North did. Without him i don't think Australia would've come close to dominating the way we did.

Mercules

Club Cricketer
Cook >>> Bopara >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bell.

Onions for Panesar.

Maybe Sidey for Broad.

Users who are viewing this thread