Key areas for England to assess

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
At the moment the main concerns have to be :-

Cook - converting scores to big ones
Bopara - not looking a test no 3, in at the deep end against the aussies so drop or drop down the order
Pietersen - fitness and shot selection, I doubt we'll drop him for the latter but he needs to reduce the brainless shots even if he is too positive still
Broad - must add wickets to sustain his place, we can't afford to have another Giles (scores a few runs, takes a few wickets but is more or less a passenger)

Other than that I think the concerns over the others are not immediately in need of addressing. Give Swann time, likewise Onions and I think the others have done enough to be ok for now. It does need constant review though, no good ignoring it for any length of time.

But good work as a team, a few lapses in the field aside. Strauss got it spot on with his decisions not to enforce the follow-on and the overnight declaration. He did make one glaring mistake, took out third slip to put in a leg slip and a chance went begging. Maybe we wouldn't have had to sweat it had he been more attacking, that was the one BIG advantage of batting on and setting 500+, runs should not have been so much an issue so mostly attacking fields.

somersetargyle

School Cricketer
im not so worried about broad - hes bowled well in the second innings; looks like hes found his line and length and was good value for the one wicket he took which happened to be the most talented player in the opposition team - hes always struck me as a blank canvas of raw talent but maybe hes taking shape in test cricket now

bopara is a real big worry; if bell comes in for pietersen id be telling them they are fighting for the same place

pietersen needs to be fully fit if he wants to play in the next match or else theres no point playing him - it could have a negative effect

cook just needs to stop playing across straight and full balls because it does his great back foot play no justice; theres nothing wrong with only playing the shots you are comfortable with

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Hmm, key areas for England to assess. In my opinion, it's 3 small things that they need to work on if they wish to win. Batting, bowling and fielding.
:p
Looks like they heard me!

What's wrong with another Giles? England won the Ashes with him, didn't they?

I just think one of Broad or Onions has to go as they both didn't look troubling against the Aussies. Maybe Harmison to return, maybe Sidebottom. Freddie and Anderson were the only troubling quicks. Swann was pretty good.

Then there is Bopara and KP not firing, which is really hurting the side.

P

pcfan123

Bopara: flash in the pan, Australia are not the West Indies, not a 3, maybe a 5 or 6, no defensive technique, arrogance does not help his cause.

Broad: bowling much improved, should play if Fred does, as he is not a 7 batsman. I say keep him for the next test, he is improving and our best future prospect.

Onions: too bad so sad mate, he needs to go, did not trouble Oz at all, and the wicket that he did get of Katich was rank terrible long hop that should have been put away.

I say bring in Sidebottom for Onions. He just got a bag full of wickets and Harmy did not do too bad either. In my book, both Sidebottom and Harmy should be ahead of Onions in selection for the 3rd test.

If KP is out then bring in Bell at 3, colly at 4 and Bopara at 5.

If KP is in then Bell at 3 KP 4 and Colly 5. Sorry but Blow-para is just not a Test match 3.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Broad looked good against Hussey but I think most of the others handled him pretty easily. He was getting handy seam movement making him potentially dangerous vs the lefties, but if there is no movement I think the Aussies will enjoy facing him. He's not bad, but I think Harmison would be a bigger danger. All depends on the team balance as to whether or not I'd pick him, he certainly wouldn't be a definite if I were a selector.

Cook should be OK.

Bopara will be in trouble if Mitch (or even Siddle) gets it right. Short balls to soften and then a couple of sucker balls thrown wide, with the odd slower one and you'd back him to get out pretty quickly. He showed good patience in the 2nd innings though. If he bats like that every time, he'd be OK but I can't see him having the resolve or self-control to do that.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Interesting to read (belatedly) worries that Cook doesn't convert enough 50s to 100s, especially considering Katich has been doing the same thing for quite some time. Cook missed out on his 100 here, but he got very close and Katich got a big hundred in the first test, but in the end I think consistent 50s are what you need from your opener.

Openers don't really need to get massive scores, their job is to wear down the new ball and put on a good opening stand to take pressure off the middle order to score more freely. If you can get 50 from both of your openers, you're on your way to a good score. The rest is all a bonus IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread