1704115547663.png

images

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
images (61).jpeg

Good one. Guys please suggest me some good sports related movies/series/documentary.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
View attachment 289134

Good one. Guys please suggest me some good sports related movies/series/documentary.
I suppose there's works where the sport is more of a focus and some where sport is the back drop for a character study. The majority are probably somewhere in between.

Off the top of my head a few films in the latter category

Any Given Sunday
The Fan
Raging Bull
The Wrestler
Moneyball

Can't go wrong with something like Caddyshack, Cool Runnings and Dodgeball if you want a sports comedy.

Documentaries

Fire In Babylon is a wonderful documentary about the great West Indies team.
Death of a Gentleman is a good documentary about the PIG3 in cricket.
Senna is a great documentary about Aryton Senna the F1 driver.
When We Were Kings a documentary about The Rumble in the Jungle fight between Muhammad Ali and George Foreman
Baseball (series by Ken Burns) but that's if you really like the history of baseball. Each episode tracks a decade of the sport. Always thought I'd love a similar series about cricket.
The Last Dance about Michael Jordan was very good.
Murderball about wheelchair rugby.
Dark Side of the Ring is a good series about wrestling if you're into that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_30_for_30_films EPSN 30 for 30 documentaries are quite wide-ranging and really interesting, I've watched a lot of them over the years.

There seems to be lots of documentaries about sport these days but I hardly watch any.

Friday Night Lights is a good series about a high school American football team.
Bodyline series is an interesting mini-series from the 80s I think. It has Mr Smith/Elrond/V - can't remember the actors name - playing Douglas Jardine.

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
View attachment 289134

Moneyball was fantastic, it made me pick up the book and read it to see what was reality and fiction once the movie ended, thoroughly recommend it. Here’s a little scene from the movie to pique your interest.

Goal is a pretty cheesy movie at times but it’s heart warming enough to reel you in and some of the cameos being real life stars of that time makes it more fun to watch (I’ve named my current FM save after the protagonist of the series). Haven’t watched either of the sequels though. I assume you’ve seen the Indian movies like Jeeva, Lagaan, ‘83 and others. The Blind Side is an adaptation of another of Lewis’ (Moneyball’s author) works and it’s quite strongly acted although I’ve heard complaints of it not being completely accurate to reality.

@wasteyouryouth has already covered most of the documentaries. I’ll add Figo’s transfer documentary to it given how controversial it was and Maradona’s one due to how fascinating he was.

Other movie recommendations include The Damned United (the story of Clough’s short and doomed spell at Leeds), Next Goal Wins (a documentary on the American Samoan football team that once lost in record breaking fashion to Australia), Ford vs Ferrari and lastly I, Tonya.

I’ve not really been a fan of the All or Nothing series that Amazon does for football, I suppose you can watch it if you’re curious about the club or a fan of the club. I personally found it extremely sterilised with the most controversial moments targeting individuals that are no longer tied to the club in question or were already with bad PR (Danny Rose for Tottenham, Aubameyang for Arsenal). The moat interesting one that I watched was the one on Arsenal but it’s still not something I would recommend unless you’re interested in Arsenal.

What I will recommend is a series that was originally meant to be a sterilised experience but since the club took a nosedive in reality ended up being extremely good because it peeled away all the superficial layers. Sunderland Till I Die remains one of the best football series for this reason. I’ve also heard that the La Liga stories series on Netflix that focuses on a different club every episode is decent. And of course, I’ll recommend Ted Lasso even if it stretches beyond the sports aspect just because of how incredibly positive and ‘feel good about yourself’ it is. I’d honestly recommend it first to watch just because of how good the series is and for the mature way it handles a lot of things (except for a couple of story arcs that ended up going nowhere but we don’t talk about that).

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
Moneyball was fantastic, it made me pick up the book and read it to see what was reality and fiction once the movie ended, thoroughly recommend it. Here’s a little scene from the movie to pique your interest.

Goal is a pretty cheesy movie at times but it’s heart warming enough to reel you in and some of the cameos being real life stars of that time makes it more fun to watch (I’ve named my current FM save after the protagonist of the series). Haven’t watched either of the sequels though. I assume you’ve seen the Indian movies like Jeeva, Lagaan, ‘83 and others. The Blind Side is an adaptation of another of Lewis’ (Moneyball’s author) works and it’s quite strongly acted although I’ve heard complaints of it not being completely accurate to reality.

@wasteyouryouth has already covered most of the documentaries. I’ll add Figo’s transfer documentary to it given how controversial it was and Maradona’s one due to how fascinating he was.

Other movie recommendations include The Damned United (the story of Clough’s short and doomed spell at Leeds), Next Goal Wins (a documentary on the American Samoan football team that once lost in record breaking fashion to Australia), Ford vs Ferrari and lastly I, Tonya.

I’ve not really been a fan of the All or Nothing series that Amazon does for football, I suppose you can watch it if you’re curious about the club or a fan of the club. I personally found it extremely sterilised with the most controversial moments targeting individuals that are no longer tied to the club in question or were already with bad PR (Danny Rose for Tottenham, Aubameyang for Arsenal). The moat interesting one that I watched was the one on Arsenal but it’s still not something I would recommend unless you’re interested in Arsenal.

What I will recommend is a series that was originally meant to be a sterilised experience but since the club took a nosedive in reality ended up being extremely good because it peeled away all the superficial layers. Sunderland Till I Die remains one of the best football series for this reason. I’ve also heard that the La Liga stories series on Netflix that focuses on a different club every episode is decent. And of course, I’ll recommend Ted Lasso even if it stretches beyond the sports aspect just because of how incredibly positive and ‘feel good about yourself’ it is. I’d honestly recommend it first to watch just because of how good the series is and for the mature way it handles a lot of things (except for a couple of story arcs that ended up going nowhere but we don’t talk about that).
Thank you @Bevab for detailed suggestions, I have watched most of them, thanks a lot for mentioning Sunderland Till I Die, I skipped it still now, will surely start watching it from today.

In addition to what you've mentioned Schumacher & Big George Foreman are one's I liked a lot.

Further is Kobe Bryant's Muse, good ? Where can I watch it in India ?

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
Thank you @Bevab for detailed suggestions, I have watched most of them, thanks a lot for mentioning Sunderland Till I Die, I skipped it still now, will surely start watching it from today.

In addition to what you've mentioned Schumacher & Big George Foreman are one's I liked a lot.

It's available on YouTube, but not sure whether it's real, further unable to find it on any OTT in India

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Haven’t heard of the Muse to be honest. It’s been a while since I’ve seen anything related to the sport of basketball.
Post automatically merged:

There's a movie coming about it too.

Directed by Taika feels like a warning these days.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I watched The Empty Man. It was not great but still quite interesting and a little weird. Would recommend if you have a spare 2 1/2 hours.

There's a guy in it who looks just like Aaron Paul, for a brief moment I thought it was him. I've just found out his name is Aaron Poole. That's blown my mind :lol

Loubs

User Title Purchaser
ENG....
X Rebels
Profile Flag
England
I watched The Empty Man. It was not great but still quite interesting and a little weird. Would recommend if you have a spare 2 1/2 hours.

There's a guy in it who looks just like Aaron Paul, for a brief moment I thought it was him. I've just found out his name is Aaron Poole. That's blown my mind :lol
One's canadien the other American and both look completly different but I see the coincidence with the name. I just wonder what Equity would suggest to this?

Users who are viewing this thread