Mark Waugh announces retirement

Rangeela

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Mark Waugh announced his retirement at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Monday, declaring that he would only play till the end of the season. His final appearance is scheduled for March 4, when New South Wales take on Queensland in a Pura Cup match at the SCG.

"Pretty much at the start of the year, I thought this would be my last season unless a miracle happened, and I made 10 centuries and got younger," Waugh said. "But I'm getting older and I think the time is right to go now. It's not an easy game, I think cricket is a tough game, especially if you're a batsman. There's a fine line between success and failure and even this season, I've been batting pretty well but haven't made many runs."

Indeed, Waugh has scored 508 runs at 36.28 this season, some way behind his outstanding overall average of 52.07 over a 19-year first-class career. His international record has been remarkable as well. In 128 Tests, he accumulated 8,029 runs at an average of 41.82, and 8,500 runs at 39.35 in 244 one-dayers.

His last appearance will be his 368th first-class match, which, incidentally, will also mark Steve Waugh's final appearance.

"There's some good younger players in the team, so I think it's time for them to step up, and for myself and Stephen to walk away."

? Wisden Cricinfo Ltd

Users who are viewing this thread