MCC Announce Eight Law Changes

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
So a bowler can't even warm up now?

It's barely saying he can't warm up, he just can't bowl the ball into the ground. He can still go through his action to a team mate but can't bang it into the ground. I'd never even heard or seen this one happening though

'Meanwhile, a bowler won't be allowed to cross an imaginary line between the middle stumps when delivering; for example declaring they were bowling over the wicket but releasing the ball as if they were bowling round the wicket.'

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
run out law at the bottom is good.

rest is meh. umpires are the worst for enforcing bad light, and they'll err on the side of caution so it will be more stoppages, not less.

bowlers have maybe brought that on themselves by deliberately warming up on the advertising bits of the pitch, which are rougher and cause more damage to the ball.

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
The bad light and rare dismissals laws are good. I'd say every law was ok but I can't understand the law change for toss.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Now, a fielder’s first contact with the ball must be within the boundary or, if his is airborne, when his last contact with the ground was within the field of play. He may subsequently step outside the rope, but a four or six will be scored if he makes further contact with the ball whilst grounded outside the boundary.

I'm not able to get what this means.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
I'd never even heard or seen this one happening though

'Meanwhile, a bowler won't be allowed to cross an imaginary line between the middle stumps when delivering; for example declaring they were bowling over the wicket but releasing the ball as if they were bowling round the wicket.'

Mitchell Johnson's arm is quite often so far over he's actually bowling from the opposite side of the stump. Only reason I see they've added this is so the umpires have a better view without someones bowling arm in front of their face.

I'm not able to get what this means.

This is so you can't do what Matthews did for Sri Lanka where he jumped and flicked back the ball. When he jumped he was actually outside the boundary rope. From now on you must be within the boundary rope when you leave the ground to field the ball.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Mitchell Johnson's arm is quite often so far over he's actually bowling from the opposite side of the stump. Only reason I see they've added this is so the umpires have a better view without someones bowling arm in front of their face.

Ahh okay, I get it now, somehow I thought of it as there foot being the other side of the set of stumps :p.

P

pcfan123

The run out rule was long over due.

The fielding rule is again unnecessarily complex and will waste time. Why can't it just be that the ball must not cross the boundary rope on the ground. So the fielders can do whatever they want as long as the ball does not touch the ground outside the rope.

The guy explaining the video was such a bore

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Yeah this one is confusing. It seems like it would make actions like Sunil Joshi's and many other left arm spinners illegal (they cross in front of the umpire while bowling).

sohum added 3 Minutes and 21 Seconds later...

I like the fielding rule on the boundary line. As soon as you have stepped out of the boundary line, you should be considered out of play, whether you are in the air or not when touching the ball.

However, I think they should have modified the fielding rule on the boundary such that you cannot cross the rope when fielding the ball, but contact with the rope would be considered in. This would prevent all those replays on boundaries when we try to see if a fielder is touching the rope when touching the ball.

P

pcfan123

I think they should have modified the fielding rule on the boundary such that you cannot cross the rope when fielding the ball, but contact with the rope would be considered in. This would prevent all those replays on boundaries when we try to see if a fielder is touching the rope when touching the ball.

That is what I was trying to say. If the ball has not crossed the rope its not a boundary. That would save so much time

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Ya, they should learn few things from baseball.

"ICC takes over MLB, changes the rule. If a fielder catches the ball against the wall, it's a home run"

P

pcfan123

Pfft MLB could learn a few things from the ICC. They still refuse to use replays

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
No they do use them. But they don't over use it, like NFL or ICC.

They spend hours to figure out, if it's a 4 or not. But I want replays, lets not go FIFA/soccer.

And what are they doing about UDRS? They should make it mandatory for top 8/9. It shouldn't be up to the boards. If you are running an International team, you should earn enough money. Stop being so cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread