Modelling Players in a Management Game

Isura

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hey guys. I am working on a new cricket management game, and would like some suggestions. Although my game won't have 3D graphics, I plan to simulate the action similarly (bowler runs up, picks line/length, batsmen tries a specific shot etc). What are some good features to model? Here is what I've come up with.

BATTING
1)Technique - Defense, footwork, plays straight. The ability to stay at the wicket and play proper cricket shots.
2) Strokeplay - Range and execution of shots. Eg. Sehwag would have a high strokeplay rating, but a lower one for technique.
3) Front foot shots - Skill and range of front foot shots.
4) Back foot shots - Skill and range of back foot shots.
Eg, Sobers was brilliant at driving on the back foot, so he has a wider range of back foot shots than someone who only pulls and cuts. Skill is the ability to execute an attempted shot.
5) Skill vs Pace - Skill against fast or medium fast bowlers. I'm not sure whether this should also include skill vs the swinging ball, or seam movement.
6) Skill vs Spin - Skill against any slow/spin bowler. Includes footwork, and skill on turning pitches.
7) Concentration - This could mean many things. For example, batsmen doesn't give his wicket away after getting set. Or ability to handle pressure situations.

BOWLING
1) Pace - How fast they can bowl.
2) Movement/variation - Swing and seam movement for pace bowlers. Turn, flight, and variation (ability to mix up deliveries) for spinners. Perhaps this should be broken into 2 categories for pace and spinners?
3) Accuracy - Ability to hit desired line and length.
4) Stamina/fitness - Higher stamina means both ability to bowl longer spells and maintain level of quality throughout the spell and day. Perhaps also determines how injury prone a player is.
5) Toughness - Mental toughness and doesn't get discouraged when getting smashed (McGrath excellent, James Hopes poor :)). Also physical intimidation factor.

FIELDING
1) Close Catching - Slips/gully fielding.
2) Far Catching - Maybe unnecessary. Outfield and far infield (eg covers) catching skill.
3) Ground Fielding - Saves runs. Throwing accuracy and strength.
4) Keeper Catching - Catching ability
5) Keeper Glovework - Stumpings, stopping byes, standing up to the stumps.

GENERAL
This is where I think there is great chance for improvement in a management game. Here are some random ideas. I want to really increase the realism and fun factor.
1) Mental toughness/psychology - Sports psychologist sessions, experience, and good form can contribute to a tougher player who can get through trying situations (eg Steve Waugh very high). Although some players are born with a better head on their shoulders.
2) Work ethic/dedication - Eg. Hayden would score very high. Training will be more effective on players with good practice habits and dedication (you have to want it!).
3) Leadership - Some of it is natural, but can be developed with experience and age. Not just on field leadership, but in the dressing room and nets. A good leader can boost the performance of teammates.
4) Potential - Like the regenerated players in the ICC series. A rough guess to a player's final ability. Work ethic, proper training/coaching, and luck will contribute to a player reaching his full potential.
5) Fitness - How likely to get injured and stamina. Training can help, but some players are naturally fitter.

Thanks for reading. Suggestions are appreciated.

KBC

Panel of Selectors
god! how come no one even cared to reply to his ideas. It's been 5 months already!

But hope you have made some progress in this mate. Good luck, if you're still reading this.

Last edited:

naresh091

International Cricketer
lol its 5 monts KBC.If he had been given some support and encouragement,who knows,he might have been a LM or JK today.

Users who are viewing this thread