Modern Rivals...

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
I think that India and England could become something of a rivalry along with the others already mentioned due to the Jellygate incident, KP vs UV among other things.

India-England is only big in England for me. There are so many Indian fans that sometimes they even outnumber the English fans. Could lead to a very heated rivalry. It's quite cool/interesting to see how England can potentially be the away team at home.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Online Cricket Games Owned
India-England is only big in England for me. There are so many Indian fans that sometimes they even outnumber the English fans. Could lead to a very heated rivalry. It's quite cool/interesting to see how England can potentially be the away team at home.
That's why Pakistan are playing Australia in England for those 2 test matches - hopefully Pakistan-like support (or even more).

Ari

International Cricketer
It's quite cool/interesting to see how England can potentially be the away team at home.

That basicly happened at Auckland when India toured here early this year. Was ironic that it was the only ODI India lost on the tour aswell.

jazz

Panel of Selectors
Yeah India follow their team every where in the world. Surprising to see so many in that New Zealand game

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I don't think Pakistanis nor Indians (for the most part) ever had that in mind. There are many Muslims in India (more than the population of Pakistan apparently) and there are also many Hindus in Pakistan. (I use Islam and Hinduism in this comparison as they are the two most followed religions in each of their respective countries).
While religion isn't a huge deal for most cricket lovers, it's certainly a huge deal for a sizable portion of the population. I know for a fact, from personal experience, that many Muslims in Mumbai will support Pakistan in an India-Pakistan game. It's simply because they feel like they can identify with the team better.

That said, religion doesn't really play that huge a part on a higher level. I remember at the conclusion of the 2003 World Cup, some idiot religious leader in India proclaimed that it was a "victory of hinduism". It was quickly pointed out that at least half the squad and several of the match-winners were Islamic. He shut up pretty quickly.

shubhrayu

International Coach
Well as Sai said a feeling exists against Pakistan in Indian fans is true but it's religious?I don't know how true is it!Well the feeling is because India and Pakistan have fought three wars in which both Indians and Pakistanis have been killed,so while an Indo-Pak game there is a revengeful feeling and yeah the sledging in the past and the losses in the past like the Sharjah loss(Last ball Six).....Heats the rivalary and the Indian fans get a feeling like that and you see Indian Cricketers and Pakistani Cricketers also get that feeling on the field...they perform extremely well sometimes....Indian players are real aggressive against Pakistan on the field.
Now the modern India-Australia rivalary will go on...Sydney test sparked it out mainly...then the past losses like the Kolkata test...And of course off the field War of Words....Like Said ZAK "They could'nt get me and Bhajji Out"..and Bhajji making comments on Aussies...

FInally:
India-Pakistan rivalary is something more than Cricket
India-Australia rivalary is a pure Cricketing rivalary

IanG

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Australia v England (Traditional Rivalry and will always be that way)
Australia v New Zealand (Trans Tasman Rivalry happens in all sports)
Australia v South Africa (Has for years been a dog fight for top spot in the World Cricket Rankings)
Australia v India. (Has spiced up since the Border/Gavaskar Trophy was introduced and went up a few notches when things got spiteful on the field)

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I dunno, but I still think india-pakistan is a bit spicey. wasn't there a ton of shoulder barging going on a couple of years ago, and just go to a youtube video involving and indian/pakistan cricket match and have a look at the comments.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
Youtube users who make those comments usually have a brain smaller than the size of a peanut.

Lmao, the comments between Indian and Pakistani users on Youtube make me laugh so much :laugh It's just full on dissing.

P

pcfan123

Youtube users who make those comments usually have a brain smaller than the size of a peanut.

seriously, its hard to find any cricket video on youtube without some Indians and Pakistanis yelling pointless and endless insults at each other.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
seriously, its hard to find any cricket video on youtube without some Indians and Pakistanis yelling pointless and endless insults at each other.

It's also hard to find videos without Australians telling Indians to go back to their slums/mudhuts and whatnot. Only idiots post comments on Youtube.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
there is a dude on youtube that makes videos saying "warne is a drug addict, he was banned for drugs.... he's a drug addict, he took drugs."

over and over again

Users who are viewing this thread