Monitor,Resolutions,Internet & Routers

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
Hello once again, yes yet another thread with my tech problems. This time its monitors now over at AVForums I started a thread about cheap gaming pc's basically the same as the one I have here. Now got some replies until someone asked me what I'm going to do with a monitor heres what he said....

Nowhere have you mentioned monitor, what will you be using? For 1650 res and above you'll need GTx otherwise GTS will suffice.

Currently I have a 19'' monitor, why would that not work with 1650 or above? What is GTx & GTS?

Glad if anyone can answer thanks.

Last edited:

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Is it an LCD monitor?

LCD monitors can actually only display 1 resolution, known as the native resolution. If you set it to a lower resolution the monitor will look fuzzy as it has to scale the image to actually make it match your resolution. Usually you cannot exceed your monitors native resolution.

As for GTs and GTX these are referring to a type of graphics card, geforce 8800GTS or geforce880GTX for example

cnbd_novice

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
What that guy meant was that if your monitor can handle high resolutions like 1680 X 1050, you would need an 8800 GTX graphics card, and an 8800 GTS won't be sufficient for you. However, I would say that the guy's quite misleading. The resolution is almost as important as the game itself. So while increasing the resolution puts more pressure on your graphics card, if the game itself isn't as graphics-intensive, the increased load on the card isn't as great either. Today's mid-range cards like the HD 3870, 8800 GT can easily handle 16x X 10x res with most current games quite easily. Also, the idea of the GTX being so much more superior than the GTS is rather ludicrous as well, as the 8800 GTS (g92) comes just behind the 8800 GTX in terms of performance. So if you are getting the 9600 GT(equivalent performance to that of the HD 3870) like Kshitiz suggested in the other thread, you should be quite ok at 1680 X 1050 with most games. But if your monitor doesn't handle those high resolutions, those cards don't really make much of a difference at all for your gaming pleasure [given the fact that you have a 19'' monitor, I'd say that your maximum res. is 1280 X 1024 (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though)].

Last edited:

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
Is it an LCD monitor?

LCD monitors can actually only display 1 resolution, known as the native resolution. If you set it to a lower resolution the monitor will look fuzzy as it has to scale the image to actually make it match your resolution. Usually you cannot exceed your monitors native resolution.

As for GTs and GTX these are referring to a type of graphics card, geforce 8800GTS or geforce880GTX for example

Yeah it is LCD, I'm sure it is because on Counterstrike the last res (highest one) has (LCD) in brackets next to it. So what would you recommend I get? Do you know a place where I can get cheap monitors that handle 1650 res?

What that guy meant was that if your monitor can handle high resolutions like 1680 X 1050, you would need an 8800 GTX graphics card, and an 8800 GTS won't be sufficient for you. However, I would say that the guy's quite misleading. The resolution is almost as important as the game itself. So while increasing the resolution puts more pressure on your graphics card, if the game itself isn't as graphics-intensive, the increased load on the card isn't as great either. Today's mid-range cards like the HD 3870, 8800 GT can easily handle 16x X 10x res with most current games quite easily. Also, the idea of the GTX being so much more superior than the GTS is rather ludicrous as well, as the 8800 GTS (g92) comes just behind the 8800 GTX in terms of performance. So if you are getting the 9600 GT(equivalent performance to that of the HD 3870) like Kshitiz suggested in the other thread, you should be quite ok at 1680 X 1050 with most games. But if your monitor doesn't handle those high resolutions, those cards don't really make much of a difference at all for your gaming pleasure [given the fact that you have a 19'' monitor, I'd say that your maximum res. is 1280 X 1024 (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though)].

I didn't really understand any of that apart from the writing in bold lol.

One other thing that came to my attention and will be something I need to get sorted befor I get this PC. It's got to do with Internet and Routers. Currently I have only one router which is connected to this cpu, I have a wire going to the telephone line and the internet wire connected to cpu and pc.

My question is, if I buy another router connect a wire to the telephone line we have upstairs and connect another one from pc to router will I get the full internet use? meaning speed and whatever else you would get? And is it possible to have two routers?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Abhas

Retired Administrator
If you want to use 2 routers, you will most probably need to buy another internet connection from your isp.

Why don't you put both the computers on LAN, and share the net connection you already have??
Or if your router has a USB, and a ethernet port, then you can connect both the computers with the same router directly.
one with the USB, and one on the ethernet card..

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
A 17" widescreen monitor = 1440*900 resolution
A 19" widescreen monitor = 1440*900 resolution

A 20" widescreen monitor = 1680*1050 resolution
A 22" widescreen monitor = 1680*1050 resolution.

Please keep in mind all these are LCD resolutions, which as Kev said, are native resolutions. :)

Hope that cleared out some punk.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Currently I have a 19'' monitor, why would that not work with 1650 or above? What is GTx & GTS?

Glad if anyone can answer thanks.
They are probably just saying that if you have a certain sized monitor, it would have a higher resolution than that graphics card can handle, so you would need to get the GTX to support it best, but if you are using a resolution under 1650x* you could get the GTS which is cheaper.

So seeing as you have a 19" monitor, you won't be using a 1650 resolution so they are recommending the GTS.

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
If you want to use 2 routers, you will most probably need to buy another internet connection from your isp.

Why don't you put both the computers on LAN, and share the net connection you already have??
Or if your router has a USB, and a ethernet port, then you can connect both the computers with the same router directly.
one with the USB, and one on the ethernet card..

Mhh I see, well I don't know how to run both cpu's on LAN and I cant connect both cpu to one router because my new pc is going to be in my room and the other one is going to be the family one downstairs. I think I'll take the router I have for this CPU upstairs and just buy a wireless adapter for this cpu. Unless connecting LAN is easy?

I dont have USB on this router btw.

They are probably just saying that if you have a certain sized monitor, it would have a higher resolution than that graphics card can handle, so you would need to get the GTX to support it best, but if you are using a resolution under 1650x* you could get the GTS which is cheaper.

So seeing as you have a 19" monitor, you won't be using a 1650 resolution so they are recommending the GTS.

Punk, didn't you say you have a HDTV?

Also, those guys are quite misleading as cnbd said. You don't need a 8800GTX or a 8800GTS, a 9600GT is enough!

Right I'm still confused about this what affect does the graphics card have on moitors? So I'm getting the 9600GT will that work on my current monitor? I'm going to need to get another monitor anyway because we only have one atm, unless my sister gives the iMac back to dad...

Yeah I have a HDTV and it's plasma and 42" which is not going in my room and its the house's ''main tv'' so no chance using that.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Well, its just that higher size monitors support higher resolutions, which in turn make the game look more crisp and good but puts more burden on the card. So, while an 8500GT can handle upto 800*600, the 9600GT can handle upto 1680*1050. We in turn can say that 8500GT is good for 15" monitors and the 9600GT is good enough for upto 22" monitors(look the monitor = resolution conversion I gave above.)

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
But my question is if I keep this monitor I have now will I still be able to use it fro games etc on 1028x1024?

Users who are viewing this thread