More proof of why Ricky Ponting is easily the greatest batsman of the modern era.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
When you deduct statistics from against Bangladesh & Zimbabwe. Here are the career statistics.

Code:
					Average
Ricky Ponting		9549 runs	57.52		33 hundreds
Virender Sehwag		4958 runs	53.31		15 hundreds
Jacques Kallis		8805 runs	51.79		26 hundreds
Matthew Hayden		7573 runs	51.51		28 hundreds
Sachin Tendulkar	10403 runs	51.24		33 hundreds
Mohammad Yousuf		5651 runs	50.90		19 hundreds
Rahul Dravid		8846 runs	50.83		20 hundreds
Mahela Jayawardene	6679 runs	50.59		19 hundreds
Kevin Pietersen		3890 runs	50.51		14 hundreds
Shivnarine Chanderpaul	7595 runs	50.29		18 hundreds
Younis Khan		4563 runs	50.14		14 hundreds
Kumar Sangakkara	5113 runs	50.12		13 hundreds

Has scored over twice as many 100's as the guy coming 2nd (Sehwag) and almost twice as many runs. Apart from that, the next fewer batsman who come close to him with runs scored average 6-7 runs less then what he does.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I'd have to agree with you, Ponting's a phenomenal batsman. He's only failed in 1 country, only averaging 12.28 in 14 innings in India. He's also been incredibly consistent throughout the years, only struggling in 1998 where he played against Donald and Pollock, in India (the place where he struggles) and against England. 1996 is another year that he struggled, but he was at the start of his Test Career, he did have to face Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka though, another trip to India, and a home series against Walsh and Ambrose. Apart from those couple of examples, Ponting's been incredibly consistent and scores a hell of alot of hundreds.

Pietersen's better though. :p

vaibhav mehta

Chairman of Selectors
Well without Stats even Ponting is one of the greatest batsman in the world.
But still I think He can't beat one and only Inzi who has higher average in the matches that Pakistan have won. :p
lol

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Well without Stats even Ponting is one of the greatest batsman in the world.
But still I think He can't beat one and only Inzi who has higher average in the matches that Pakistan have won. :p
lol
Eh, at least we're not considering Sachin in the Top 5 since he has the higher average in matches lost :p

Sureshot

Executive member
I don't think we need statistics to say that Ponting is the best of the modern era. Though his stats in India are interesting.

.Mob

International Coach
Then again, Ponting didn't exactly have to face the likes of Lee, McGrath, Warne, Gillespie etc, the Aussies are widely known to have the best bowling attack, so yeah.

But, there's no disputing that he's one of the best.

TruSachFan

Club Cricketer
what era is this? 2000-2008 era. If yes?? Then I agree. He has been by far the best batsmen in this century.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Statistically he is. Your comparisons to Sehwag are obviously silly since Ponting has played far more matches than Sehwag and expecting Sehwag to have scored more runs/centuries would be giving him far too much credit.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
As much as I don't like him Ponting is the best batsman in this century by far. On countless occasions he's been the outstanding batsman for Australia.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
The thing which makes Punter so good, is how balanced he is. You look at his stance and think, he is a bit backfoot dominant due to the crouch, but he isn't, he's very good on both feet! And uses them very well from the start, which automatically means he has a chance of hitting a good score.

He is uncomparable in my opinion because he plays his cricket in Australia on tracks which bounce, and his best strokes are those square of the wicket so the hook and pull and cut are all well used by Ponting.

The reason he may have failed in India, is because of its lack of pace and bounce, or less than what you get in Australia. He is a good player of spin, but isn't world class as has been shown.

Basically all those who say "player X is better," are wrong :p You cannot compare the "next Bradman," even KP hasn't got what Ponting offers.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
He has trouble with Harbhajan early on, but I don't think he's especially vulnerable to spin in general. He has a good record in Sri Lanka, which tends to be much harder for batsmen than India.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
To be fair, Ponting hasn't had a full series in India since he hit his prime. The upcoming series should be a good measure of whether he actually has what it takes to be successful in India.

Also, I don't think Ponting is as far ahead of everyone else as many on this thread suggest. He is really good at getting it done (and by it I mean scoring mountains of runs). There are plenty of batsmen that I'd rather watch than Ponting, though.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Also, I don't think Ponting is as far ahead of everyone else as many on this thread suggest. He is really good at getting it done (and by it I mean scoring mountains of runs). There are plenty of batsmen that I'd rather watch than Ponting, though.
Agreed.

Ok his average suggests he's the best but quite possibly I could cook some statistics to prove that someone else is better. Certainly I enjoy watching quite a few more batsmen over Punter. (Although that might because he's so sodding annoying as much as anything else ;))

Users who are viewing this thread