More proof of why Ricky Ponting is easily the greatest batsman of the modern era.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I don't ever remember India beating Australia in a Test Match thanks to Tendulkar. More thanks to Dravid or Laxman, methinks.

Black Magic

Panel of Selectors
I don't think we need statistics to say that Ponting is the best of the modern era. Though his stats in India are interesting.

Haha you mean his stats "against" India.

Agreed.

Ok his average suggests he's the best but quite possibly I could cook some statistics to prove that someone else is better. Certainly I enjoy watching quite a few more batsmen over Punter. (Although that might because he's so sodding annoying as much as anything else ;))

I beg to differ, Ponting is my favorite batsmen to watch bat and how he goes out. It never fails to entertain me :p

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
That means,you people dont agree with Sir Donald Bradman (The Greatest player even in history of Cricket),he said Tendulkar is closest to him,i think Sachin has handelled so much of pressure,no one in history might have been through it,i think personally its Sachin Tendulkar,who has delivered n number of times(people still have some points against him:he is not a match winner) but the Greatest of bolwer (Warne,McGrath)also called him the best.

Says it all,no need of any other proofs,stats dosent says it all,the bolwer who bowls on field and experiences it have said against him,that Sachin is the Best. People dosent call him
That if Cricket is religion Sachin is the God
Just because The Don was a great batsman doesn't mean we have to agree with him all the time. He made those comments in 1998, which was long before Ponting had hit his peak.

As for that saying, it's an Indian saying, which is unsurprising because that's where Tendulkar is from. If cricket is a religion, then surely the greatest ever, Bradman, would be called the god?

I also disagree with the notion that Ponting isn't great to watch, he is a fantastic batsman and whenever he walks out to bat I watch with great interest.

Black Magic

Panel of Selectors
Just because The Don was a great batsman doesn't mean we have to agree with him all the time. He made those comments in 1998, which was long before Ponting had hit his peak.

As for that saying, it's an Indian saying, which is unsurprising because that's where Tendulkar is from. If cricket is a religion, then surely the greatest ever, Bradman, would be called the god?

I also disagree with the notion that Ponting isn't great to watch, he is a fantastic batsman and whenever he walks out to bat I watch with great interest.

He may not be god, but someone who can put a smile on every Indian's face (thats a lot of people) every time he walks out to bat, is certainly very special. Tendulkar has gone past the "legend" stage for Indians, he needed a new name, thus God is what he got. Although there are many legends out there, Wasim Akram, Glenn Mcgrath are a few of them although its hard to find a better matched person who has ever had such an impact on so many people as Sachin Tendulkar. Personally I only have one religion and only one man can be god and that is Sachin Tendulkar. :happy

and the crowd goes wild...:p

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
I never said Punter wasn't great to watch, I just said I preferred watching other batsmen. I even admitted bias against him because I find him annoying. Personally I find the tag of "the greatest" very hard to define and it certainly should not be mixed up with "statistically the most successful" they aren't the same. Greatness does not always mean the most successful. Greatness is harder to define than that for example you may have an idea of what the greatest film of all time is, but you probably won't have based that opinion on how much money it took at the box office.

Black Magic

Panel of Selectors
I never said Punter wasn't great to watch, I just said I preferred watching other batsmen. I even admitted bias against him because I find him annoying. Personally I find the tag of "the greatest" very hard to define and it certainly should not be mixed up with "statistically the most successful" they aren't the same. Greatness does not always mean the most successful. Greatness is harder to define than that for example you may have an idea of what the greatest film of all time is, but you probably won't have based that opinion on how much money it took at the box office.

I can take a lot out of that, it certainly makes sense. :cheers Personally I would describe "greatest" as the people with the most influence on society.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
I'd say that the greatest batsman in any era would definitely be the player who has performed the best over the course of his career during that era. Impact on the fans is important too, but Sachin is not the greatest because he comes from a country that idolises its cricketers more than most, at least not in my opinion. He is a legend because he is a fantastic batsman, not because he is popular.

Black Magic

Panel of Selectors
I'd say that the greatest batsman in any era would definitely be the player who has performed the best over the course of his career during that era. Impact on the fans is important too, but Sachin is not the greatest because he comes from a country that idolises its cricketers more than most, at least not in my opinion. He is a legend because he is a fantastic batsman, not because he is popular.

Thats fair enough, I'd say Ponting falls into that category. He is a great batsmen for his skill and not his popularity (which is pretty bad from where I'm looking from)

baggy_blogger

News Team Member
A master at his own game is Punter! Yeah he has a slump this year but no doubt started to show his world class trademark during the West Indies series.
South Africa is where he will shine! India, lets just see if he can up that dismal average there.
Tendulkar is a legend, but even Sachin has found himself in a rut. Like Ponting, a few great knocks here and there.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
On a slump ?

He has 584 runs with a top score 158 at an average of 53.09 in 2008 and scored 192 runs at 38 last year, but only played 4 test matches. Hardly a slump in my books. Similar to Pietersen, his slump period was over the winter where he had 1 fifty in 10 innings, but still averaged 35 in that period with a hundred under his belt. The top players in the world and the ones that are remembered once their career's are over are consistent over their entire career, something that Ponting has been, and something that I'm sure Pietersen will be. I'm almost certain that he'll end his career with a similar Test Match average to that of Ponting, not quite as high, but he'll certainly have alot of hundreds, and a heck of alot of runs. In 5 years time it could be Pietersen we're talking about in the Ponting/Tendulkar vein.

Black Magic

Panel of Selectors
A master at his own game is Punter! Yeah he has a slump this year but no doubt started to show his world class trademark during the West Indies series.
South Africa is where he will shine! India, lets just see if he can up that dismal average there.
Tendulkar is a legend, but even Sachin has found himself in a rut. Like Ponting, a few great knocks here and there.

Yes true, although all Indians go crazy when he walks on the pitch anyway. Its just the phenomenon behind the name of Sachin Tendulkar that sets him apart. That is something Ponting lacks although he is a great batsmen. Although I hope Ponting gets back in his full form, because I have to say he does have the best hook shot in the world. The pivot he does with the foot sets him apart from all other, I respect him for that.

nikhil_99

International Coach

YOu yourself said it Dude !!!
Sachin always had and has that class,Ponting evolved after 2002, and hit those 22 centuries which brought him closer to Sachin,Sachin is great from the Start,thats why the Great bolwers McGrath and Warne said its Tendulkar,otherwise they would have named their captain's name Ponting.
Also Sachin is so humble, and respected every where that even Australian people respect him after Bradman, also Sachin receive tremndous oviation from croud,not only from Australis but from any Cricket playing (also from Netherland,Bermuda,UAE)

In 2007 World Cup match against Bermuda, one of their players (i dont exactly remember him name,possibly their captain,he was slip feilder)he said ,i will drop Sachin's catch if its come to me,i wont be able to see him playing against me,and i would like to see him batting.

2-3 years before in SL, UAE was also there, their board had announced get wicket of Tendulkar and win 1000$.

Thats class of Tendulkar,he has never ever replied to any bowlers back(which Ponting does),has handelled more pressure and expectations.

Needless to say anything now...

Users who are viewing this thread