The PlanetCricket View: MS Dhoni ? The Great Gambler

Article by Aditya -

I’ve been a very close adherent of MS Dhoni?s career; he?s a cricketer who has dealt with success and failure in the same way i.e. positively. Dhoni has sustained the pressure of international cricket quite easily, never once has there been the news about Dhoni?s misbehavior off the field, one can very easily learn from Dhoni as to how one must take fame and popularity in the good way and not get carried away.

Ganguly once said ?Dhoni is a bit of a gambler? and it’s easily understood in what context Ganguly said this. I tend to agree with this. If Dhoni hadn’t been a gambler or hadn’t had the guts to lead a young side in the 2007 t20 WC, I cannot see how he could have won the WC. A team full of youngsters, was least expected to qualify for the semi?s and once they did, people had their expectations from Dhoni pretty high and after that, winning the t20 WC changed Dhoni?s career forever. From a normal cricketer, Dhoni now changed into a national figure, he got the fame he deserved thus it’s very fitting to say that his ?gambles? paid off.

Dhoni has always persuaded to have a single main agenda in his mind which is of course to lead his side to the victory, regardless of the situation he finds himself in (something very unfair and too harsh), he still persists with his task of leading his national side. He?s a cricketer least interested to speak off the field and defend himself he instead proves himself ON THE FIELD. Whether it?s regular international cricket matches, world cup or IPL, the willingness to play and contribute is the same for Dhoni and that?s a fact.

When Dhoni was new to international cricket, if someone told me one day he?ll be the captain of the Indian team and will lead his sideto victory in not one but two world cups (t20 and 50 overs) I would have found it very hard to digest. When MS Dhoni made his debut, he played alongside greats like Sachin, Dravid, Ganguly, Laxman and Kumble. Alongside such great players, one would easily be satisfied to be a regular in the team and on top of that, captaining such greats certainly is ?commendable?.

One can never tell what?s going inside Dhoni?s mind. He is not one of those cricketers that express themselves on the field, even after winning the 50 over WC, Dhoni conducted himself extremely well and didn’t get too emotional. My way of judging a player is pretty simple, how is he under pressure? When there?s no pressure every player acts goody-goody, however when a cricketer plays under pressure, that?s when we get to see his real side. No one would argue about the cool head that Dhoni possesses under pressure, therefore the name ?captain cool? is given to him.

I remember when Dhoni was new to the Indian team, after a few innings he was already quite famous, I used to love this song that used to come on a radio channel ?O Dhoni ke lambe lambe baal, O Dhoni ki mast chal, O Dhoni..O Dhoni.? The point is, this sudden fame that Dhoni got could have distracted him, a man from a very simple background and from a small city like Ranchi, it?s remarkable how comfortable Dhoni has been with fame and popularity.

Even though, Dhoni has genuinely been a great hard worker he?s yet often said to be ?just lucky?, it?s for everyone to admit, playing 8-9 months of international cricket is no joke and therefore, Dhoni?s success is not just mere luck, it?s his hard work that has paid him back.

When I first saw Dhoni and knew nothing about him, I was very keen to know his background. When I came to know that he comes from Ranchi and has worked as a ticket-collector, I was amazed. It?s fitting to say, his story has got everything to turn it into a ?bollywood movie?. He has achieved everything that an international cricket would want and dream of and yet the passion for cricket is still the same.

In spite of the odds against Dhoni, he has always come out as a winner out of the tough situations. He has been often labeled as a ?lucky guy? but I tend to differ, he?s a hard-worker who deserves all the success he has got.

At this very point of Dhoni?s career, he finds himself as an accomplisher. He has won WC?s, he has won IPL, he has captained his national side, he is popular and he is financially stable. What lies ahead is a very crucial task, he?s an auxiliary to young cricketers around him because someone around him might just be the next BIG THING of Indian cricket and using the word ?replace? will be very unfair because replacing Dhoni wont be easy because I would just go on a limb and say, it?s not often that we see fine cricketers like MS Dhoni. No one can argue the huge contribution he has had on the Indian cricket in just a mere time span of 8 odd years.

It?s been 2 years since India won the 50 overs WC and hence I felt that it?s fitting to write a piece on the captain of our side, who led us to the glorious 50 overs WC victory.

More...

Users who are viewing this thread