Need Permission

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Just about to throw the computer out the window.

I have Vista and I am trying to delete a file which I is infected but it keeps telling me I need permission. (awesomeness)

I am the only one who uses the PC, and am an administrator.. I have tried just about everything:

- Right click properties
- Downloaded some 'take ownership' option
- Command Prompt

Still nothing works, any ideas? :help

Abhas

Retired Administrator
Open the task manager, (Ctrl+Shift+Esc)
Go to the processes tab, Search for the name of the file you are trying to delete. If it is there, End its process
Now try.

If it doesn't work, there is another technique, but it is a bit complicated. Try this first :)

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Open the task manager, (Ctrl+Shift+Esc)
Go to the processes tab, Search for the name of the file you are trying to delete. If it is there, End its process
Now try.

If it doesn't work, there is another technique, but it is a bit complicated. Try this first :)

Jeez, that was a lot easier than the other 50 processes that I googed, lol. Cheers bro.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
No, mine is done by running explorer with elevated privileges. This will allow it to delete the file without a problem.
Anyway, since the problem's solved now, it's not required.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
There's actually an extended task manager provided by Microsoft that allows you to get a much clearer idea of what program has what file handles open, that would allow you to treat a situation like this more easily in the future. Doesn't help that I don't remember it's name. :)

Also, you say the file is infected... generally speaking, most infected executables aren't as easily killed.

Users who are viewing this thread