Never have I felt so disengaged from the England Cricket Team

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
blockerdave submitted a new article

Never have I felt so disengaged from the England Cricket Team

England1-150x150.jpg

My love of cricket developed in the late 80s and early 90s. Appropriately enough, given who we’ve just played and who is still to come this summer, the first bits of cricket I can distinctly remember are England’s 1988 series against the West Indies and the 1989 Ashes: both humiliating 4-0 defeats. (It says nothing for my cricketing judgement that out of a bowling line-up including Marshall, Ambrose and Walsh, I recall bowling to my older brother in the back garden and saying “I’m Patrick Patterson”.)

So it is not that I am a fair-weather fan, or a “new” fan used only to success: the particular lows that stand out for me include our failure to dismiss Danny “Duckman” Morrison in 1997, Nasser Hussain being booed on the Oval balcony in 1999, almost any World Cup since 1992, and dropping Jack Russell for Richard for Blakey in 1993. Despite all that, I didn’t just follow cricket but fell in love with it. The period had some highs too – I remember Gooch scoring a triple hundred against India in 1990 and carrying his bat against West Indies in 91, Atherton and Russell’s defiance in Johannesburg in 95, finally beating West Indies in a series in 2000… Even Ashes series were not completely depressing – Thorpe and Hussain’s stand at Edgbaston in 1997, where we took the lead in an Ashes for the first time since 1986/7, and Goughie’s hat trick at the MCG in 1999 were particular high points.

For all that, I’ve more or less reached breaking point with the current side and set up. I have never felt more disengaged as a fan – not in 1999 when we’d been humiliated in a home World Cup and ranked bottom in the Test table, not when Darren Pattinson was selected in 2008, and not even in either of the Ashes Whitewashes.

Everything about the current England set-up, from the ECB through the coaches, captain and players reeks of arrogance and entitlement.
The odious Giles Clarke, outgoing Chairman of the ECB, whored out the England team to Allen Stanford and sold out the entire game in a disgusting carve-up with the BCCI and Cricket Australia, leaves office with the England team ranked 4th, 6th and 8th in Tests, ODIs and T20s respectively and with cricket the only major sport with no live free to air coverage and yet is rewarded with the creation of the position of Honorary President.

The coach, having failed once in the job and been inexplicably reappointed seemingly on the basis that he had once fallen out with Kevin Pietersen has been equally calamitous second time around yet remains in denial, giving palpably dishonest press conferences about “good tours” and “good things happening” after a humiliating defeat.

The captain remains in denial about his ability and apparently is “still learning” about tactics after 112 tests, 31 of them as captain. Appointed because he came from the right sort of family rather than for any strategic or leadership ability, his tactics and selections remain wilfully conservative, even negative – both Matt Prior and Jonathan Trott have been erroneously picked in the last 12 months to prop up this weak, unsuitable captain who has delivered Ashes humiliation, a first ever home series defeat for Sri Lanka and created the conditions for the terrible World Cup yet remains convinced he is the best man for the job. Having first scapegoated Kevin Pietersen, he now seeks to scapegoat the new ECB chairman for his comments regarding a “mediocre” team that Cook could not beat. I don’t know how Cook remains clean-shaven, because he has certainly never looked in the mirror.
The players, whether mocking a teammate simultaneously behind his back and publicly via twitter, urinating on turf most people would give anything to play on, or dismissing any criticism from former players with an ungracious “the game’s moved on”, seem an unlovely bunch: I struggle to think of a single one I’d like to share a beer with, which is not a statement you could make in the recent or not-so recent past.

Colin Graves, the incoming chairman, is utterly discredited before even taking office. Having made an ungracious comment about the West Indies and promising enquiries if we failed to beat them, has already gone back on his word. Having promised change, he looks set to deliver Andrew Strauss.
The objection to Strauss is many-layered. Firstly, his closeness to Cook and the senior players he led just a few years ago calls into question his objectivity where they are concerned, as does his on and off-record comments regarding Kevin Pietersen – that his disparaging comments on Pietersen are the only interesting or enlightening thing he’s said in over two years in the commentary box tells its own story. But the most damning thing about the potential appointment of Strauss is that the problems with the England team today lead back directly to Strauss.

The negative, attritional play; conservative selection; an obsession with stats; the emergence of a damaging clique and the running sore of the Pietersen saga; the bullet-proofing of Alastair Cook regardless of form: all can be traced back to Strauss’ captaincy.
A quick word on Pietersen, I personally believe the time has passed and the likes of Taylor, Hales and Lees should form the next generation of batsmen when our selectors finally (please) run out of patience with Ian Bell. Nevertheless Pietersen has been treated disgustingly – persuaded to give up a lucrative contract which he did in good faith in the belief he would be given a fresh start and judged on form. The imminent appointment of Strauss shows that is clearly not the case and he has been shamefully deceived. It is hard to think of someone less fit for the ECB Chairmanship than the odious Giles Clarke, but Colin Graves seems to be giving it a damn good try.
Being an England cricket fan has not always been easy but has seldom been so hard, or joyless. The current regime is so patently unfit for the job that each victory is soured by the thought that the regime might be bolstered; and since each defeat brings closer the day when the whole rotten house of cards comes crashing down, you’re not even as disappointed as you should be. When victory or defeat leaves you with the same “meh” response, you wonder why you watch.
I watch of course, because I remember the history, I remember that even when we had a losing team we had a team worthy of support, I remember that English cricket is bigger than those who are currently such careless custodians, and I hope beyond hope we will get the change we need.
I just hope that by the time the change comes, the kids who should be falling in love with cricket as I did 27 years ago don’t do as I did on Sunday: shrug their shoulders and go “meh”.
Continue reading the Original Post.

D

Dutch

Good post Dave. I feel we havent scraped the barrel enough yet and that we will have to see a lot more mediocre rubbish before something really happens. I cant see us winning much this summer......sure Broad will pick up a five for somewhere and be reinstated on the good old throne of hope and Bell will score 67 somewhere and be praised for his elegant drive but the fact is we are pretty darn boring to watch these days, pretty darn boring. Even when we win we do it in a drab kind of way. And the young guys showing promise are being forced to play one dimensionally instead of really expressing themselves.....Moores talk of seeing development here and there and everywhere is just clutching at straws. The bubble burst a few years ago and there was no plan B................I cant yet decide what leaves me more disengaged: "The Coming Of Patch Three" or everything surrounding the England team....

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I think if this summer is as bad as we fear, there will have to be change. The worst thing will be if it's only a bit bad, and the regime has enough "good things" to hang their hat on...

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
could someone please change @blockerdave's user title to "patrick patterson fanboy" please

also good article; although i couldn't find any source about graves going back on the enquiry thing?

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
I agree with some of what you say Dave but England aren't THAT bad. If a number of their key players stay fit through New Zealand's two tests and make it to the Ashes in tip top shape, I can't see how they will be Australia. As a test side, the Aussies still haven't fully recovered from the cull of a few years ago and are still only mighty at home and meek away. England need to stay on top of them, Johnson's brief period of form seems to have been subdued yet again, Starc isn't the proven commodity in tests and the other bowlers aren't true world beaters. Plus they don't have a spinner even half as good as Ali lol

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
I agree with some of what you say Dave but England aren't THAT bad

Did you watch the World Cup?

Okay the test side may not be THAT bad but the decision making is awful. I don't blame them for giving Trott another go, he deserved another chance but he was obviously rushed back too early to the point it has ended his international career. You try things, sometimes they work out, sometimes not, fair enough. But this is just one of a catalogue of issues and terrible decisions, the treatment of certain players (not just KP), terrible management of bowlers (Finn and Rashid spring to mind), poor use of bowlers during matches, the "mediocre" comment and the backtracking and holier than thou attitude when we couldn't beat the "mediocre" team to name just a few.

Over the years I have lost a lot of love for several sports, football and boxing (long before last weekends dross!) being two examples, while test cricket has never faded for me and I doubt it ever will ( 4 day tests could be the trigger there though!) but I actually found myself willing the West Indies on in this last test as I felt it may be what's needed to shake things up. Obviously not though.

Like you say Dave I've got no qualms supporting a losing team, I've supported Southampton since the eighties for eff's sake but I find it hard to like this England squad, apart from maybe Jordan, Root and Ballance, but it's not just them, it's the whole regime and I don't see anything changing. Has it ever though (look how Simon Jones was treated)? Maybe the last decade of actually being good has clouded my judgement.

Get Beefy in, that's what I'd love to see, Nasser also, they'd sort this shambles out. Never going to happen though.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Exactly it's not purely about results, it's performance, approach /philosophy, attitude etc. of the team, the ineptitude and arrogance of the administrators - it all stinks.

You'd think if you managed to support the team even when they picked Alan Igglesden, you could support them through anything - but that point is being stretched now...

Liam Stephen

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
I can certainly relate to the last line as a 19yo cricket fan. I have played cricket since I was 9, have been offered trials at county cricket clubs (Lincolnshire though, but hey) and turned them down on the pretense of the state of the ECB.
Then there is the issue of my age group? I can't discuss Cricket with anyone till the ashes comes around (and suddenly everyone pretends to understand it) and as for saying i enjoy and play cricket? Well, that's a death sentence on a date let me tell you. Even the people I play with, many don't watch or truly understand the sport. And that leads me to ask a question. Where does the next generation of English cricketers come from?

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I do think that some people are over-reacting a little bit - not anyone on here but I've seen people on twitter shouting on them to drop Broad for being bad in the West Indies (which he really wasn't; a bowling average of 32 is slightly underpar but he was getting back into it by the end of the series), Ballance (???) and similar things that are way, way too out there. England have to make strong, radical decisions, but you can't throw away good players in the process. That'd take us back to the 90s, which isn't fun

Also I've mentioned that I play cricket while on dates and it hasn't harmed me; although perhaps cricket is sexy in glasgow, i dunno.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I do think that some people are over-reacting a little bit - not anyone on here but I've seen people on twitter shouting on them to drop Broad

To be fair I didn't find a place in him in my preferred 11 for vs NZ but that's a reflection of trying to get pace into the side. He certainly improved over the series and looking much better at the end than the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread