New Zealand contracted players for 09/10

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
It will be announced within the next seven days. Dylan Cleaver made his picks in the NZ Herald:

PREDICTED CONTRACT LIST

1. Daniel Vettori: New Zealand's captain also happens to be their best bowler and, too often, their best batsman. A shoo-in for No 1.

2. Brendon McCullum: One of the best keeper-batsmen in the world so once and for all let's abandon this nonsense of not playing him as a keeper.

3. Ross Taylor: Will play all three forms of the game and has a great pair of hands.

4. Jesse Ryder: If he stays level-headed, could well be the most valuable cricketer New Zealand has produced in a long time.

5. Jacob Oram: By default only. An injury-plagued Oram looks a shadow of his former self but deserves one more year to regain his touch with the bat.

6. Iain O'Brien: Will get a huge jump after a great last 12 months but are cracks starting to appear in his short-format game?

7. Martin Guptill: Will cap off a meteoric rise with a retainer close to six figures. Is one of the few batsmen adept at all three forms of the game.

8. James Franklin: Some work to do before convincing that he is an allrounder, let alone a test No 6.

9. Kyle Mills: Will likely take a drop after his test status came into question.

10. Chris Martin: Hard to believe the selectors actually thought there were better test new-ball bowlers out there.

11. Tim Southee: Probably fortunate to be this high and needs to start showing that the promise will materialise.

12. Jeetan Patel: the second-best spinner in the country should figure highly in Sri Lankan tour plans.

13. Shane Bond: If he's available he's in... right?

14. Daniel Flynn: Like fellow ND team-mate, has got to start turning the promise into something more tangible.

15. Grant Elliott: The glue in the one-day unit would like another opportunity at test level but it's unlikely to happen.

16. Ian Butler: Looked the pick of the seamers at the World T20.

17. Aaron Redmond: Has gone from unlikely to likely in the space of a few Irish overs. Is a realistic option in all three forms.

18. Tim McIntosh: struggled badly against India but has to be given the tour to Sri Lanka at least.

19. Nathan McCullum: Will most likely get an opportunity in ODIs as well as T20 this year.

20. Neil Broom: The jury is still well and truly out but his role in one of the most difficult in short-form cricket.

NOTABLES

* Scott Styris: the sun might have set.

* Jamie How: needs a year at first-class level to regain touch.

* Kane Williamson: a year too early for contract.

* Peter Fulton: has not done enough.

* Gareth Hopkins: Could sneak in if Bond not picked.

Tim Southee will not be that high, and Jacob Oram shouldn't be at five. Kane Williamson should be in there to. Daryl Tuffey could also be in there.

Last edited:

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
Pretty good list.

Is it actually listed in order of first to last picked, or valuable, or salary, or just like that with numbers for no reason at all?

irottev

School Cricketer
Tuffey should be there and Bond should be high probably number 2 behind Vettori. They should be our Test opening bowlers.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Pretty good list.

Is it actually listed in order of first to last picked, or valuable, or salary, or just like that with numbers for no reason at all?

Vettori would get payed around 200,000 for being number one, and Neil Broom would get around 70-80,000 for being 20th. Although I don't think the rankings are actually released to the public. When it comes out it is mostly speculation.

Irrotev, I can't see NZ cricket giving Bond the number two contract, I would be really surprised to even see him crack the top ten. Although he would probaly deserve to be in the top 10 over some of the guys that could be there.

Ari

International Cricketer
Tuffey should be there and Styris will get one. I haven't heard much about Vincent if he is available he might sneak in. McGlashan should be ahead of Hopkins if they are going for a second keeper.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Vincent hasn't played any "proper' cricket for a long time now. He would have to prove himself next season for Auckland.

Ari

International Cricketer
Thank you. Geez. Don't know why everyone loves Vincent that much, he's not that great.

Thats true but sadly hes probably one of our better openers for test matches right now even though hes more a middle order player.

Crew of Black

Club Cricketer
Most of that list is good, Tuffey & Williamson are probably the only real changes I would make to that list.

Butler probably shouldn't get a contract because he's even more injury plagued than Jacob Oram. Broom, N McCullum & Redmond are all 50/50, guys like Arnel, How, McGlashan & Ingram, all have strong cases for a National contract as well.

This is the way I think they should be ranked.

1. Daniel Vettori
2. Brendon McCullum
3. Ross Taylor
4. Iain O'Brien
5. Jesse Ryder
6. Chris Martin
7. Martin Guptill
8. Jacob Oram
9. Shane Bond
10. Kyle Mills
11. Grant Elliott
12. Jeetan Patel
13. James Franklin
14. Daniel Flynn
15. Daryl Tuffey
16. Tim Southee
17. Tim McIntosh
18. Kane Williamson
19. Nathan McCullum
20. Aaron Redmond

Sartaj

Panel of Selectors
Even if vincent is selected,he must replace either ryder or guptill,which doesn't sound ideal.so,tough luck louie! I would really want lou in my team even if he had to bat down the order as he is one of the current best fielders in the world (the best in my opinion). What happened to mark gillespie? Did he have a poor domestic season?

irottev

School Cricketer
He can replace McIntosh in tests...I'd rather see Vincent play domestic before we select him though if he's even available.

Gillespie was injured most the season I believe. He always get injured.

Ari

International Cricketer
Well they have annouced it.

http://www.blackcaps.co.nz/news/new...tracted-players-for-2009-10/5615/article.aspx

Brent Arnel
Shane Bond
Neil Broom
Ian Butler
Grant Elliott
James Franklin
Daniel Flynn
Martin Guptill
Gareth Hopkins
Brendon McCullum
Tim McIntosh
Chris Martin
Kyle Mills
Iain O’Brien
Jacob Oram
Jeetan Patel
Jesse Ryder
Tim Southee
Ross Taylor
Daniel Vettori

Big news is Styris has been dropped and Bond included. Surprised that Nathan McCullum didn't get one and Hopkins is there instead of McGlashan. Also no room for Tuffey yet.

My guess as to where they were ranked

1: Vettori
2: McCullum
3: Taylor
4: Ryder
5: Oram
6: Mills
7: Bond
8: Guptill
9: Franklin
10: O'Brien
11: Martin