New Zealand cricket announces contracted list for 10/11

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
New Zealand Cricket - New Zealand Cricket announced contracted players for 2010-11

Brent Arnel
Grant Elliott
Martin Guptill
Gareth Hopkins
Chris Martin
Brendon McCullum
Nathan McCullum
Tim McIntosh
Andy McKay
Kyle Mills
Jacob Oram
Jeetan Patel
Jesse Ryder
Tim Southee
Scott Styris
Ross Taylor
Daryl Tuffey
Daniel Vettori
B.J. Watling
Kane Williamson

Predictable list it must be said, although sadly this might mean that the chances of actually seeing Neil Broom play test cricket (anytime soon) are slim.

P

pcfan123

Good to see Williamson get a contract, and a bit weird to see them persist with Jeetan Patel.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
With New Zealand touring Bangladesh and India this year, as well as the world cup being held in the subcontinent he was probably always going to pick up another contract. He's looking likely to play at least 5-6 test matches within the next year.

You'll be glad to hear that the NZPA and NZC are working on another collective bargaining agreement as we speak, so this years contract list might see the players paid a lot more them they've ever been paid in the past, espeically domestic players.

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
Predictable is right. It'll be good if NZ players do get a bit of a pay increase. Might make them want to stay in NZ rather than retire and play IPL.

P

pcfan123

Wow that is fantastic news, especially that the domestic players will also be payed more. In a weird way, Baz is probably to thank for this with his whole IPL saga.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I would have thought Franklin might stay on the list but I can't really tell who I'd take off it...

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Good list of players selected and still got guys like Broom and Franklin outside of that list. Bit surprised Franklin isn't there though as your selectors seem to rate him pretty highly, as he always seemed to find his way into the team whether through his batting or bowling.

-D-S-B-

International Coach
Id rather see Nathan playing with Vettori in the tests :D
Amen to that! ;) Strenthen the batting and bowling! :D

It could happen one day if he continues to perform like he is though.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
So, three or four players from the South Island, a lot of help they are. :sarcasm
11 of the 20 players play for either Auckland or ND.

No real surprises there, I guess the only real major casualties are Broom and Franklin, both who I don't really care about. I've always has a lot of time for Franklin, but he's been tested in all formats doing everything and rarely succeeded.

Ari

International Cricketer
Disgusting to see Martin, Hopkins and even Oram on that list given hes just a one day player now. Oh wait Dan's mates.

-D-S-B-

International Coach
So, three or four players from the South Island, a lot of help they are.
Yeah, I can't believe these selectors as well ! :p

Anyone know when Wagner's available for selection. If he can have a good summer he could be pushing for a Black cap. He was a tad disappointing last summer, without being poor though.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Wagner only came over in 2008 didn't he? So he's got a few more years. van Wyk and Myburgh and de Grandhomme qualify though I think

Chewie added 0 Minutes and 22 Seconds later...

11 of the 20 players play for either Auckland or ND.

Well they are the two best teams ;)

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Mark Greatbatch's interview on Radio Sport just before was rather comical, he didn't want to slam Broom, Franklin etc but he just kept saying they hadn't "performed" at a world class level when given the chance. Wish I was asking the questions because how Jacob Oram is justified a contract after averaging about 10 with the bat for two years I'll never know.

Interesting to note that the rate ODI's and 20/20's both at one point each, with test matches rated at two points. Surely that can't be a good sign for our test future?

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
IMO it should be five points for tests, maybe one or two point for ODI's, and half a point for T20I's.
Tests are still easily the pinnacle of the INTERNATIONAL game.

Or just have code specific contracts, like a test contract for McIntosh, and then you can bracket him with someone like Redmond who isn't going to play tests, but can cover the same person as he may play ODI's/T20I's.
Give Styris and Oram both Limited overs contracts, and then maybe include someone like Franklin as a test contract.

So maybe have 20 test contracts, 18 ODI contracts, and 15 T20I contracts.
Then if people get all three contracts like Vettori they get more.

Users who are viewing this thread