Older Online PC FPS games that are still active?

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
Call of Duty 2: No (but I'm getting CoD4 soon).
Call of Juarez: No - and that was really disappointing, I was looking forwards to a cowboy game online

What about Quake III and the older Battlefield games? Are they still being played? I've been playing Team Fortress 2 and I love it, but it keeps crashing my GPU (VPU Recovery message). My other games are not doing this, anyone got an idea how to stop this? Someone said to turn VPU Recovery off, but can't that force the card to keep going when it should really be cutting out for its own safety?

Also, what are the best HL2 multiplayer mods? I've heard of Day of Defeat, can you guys give me a few more?

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Are these Unreal games still active? I don't think I'd spend ?9.99 just for the two old singleplayer games, but if the online ones are still active, I think I'll pick it up. I never played Unreal: for some reason it didn't want to run on my PC (back then), which is odd, as it met the specs easily. Should be ok now, I'm sure these have all been configured to work on modern machines?

Unreal Anthology - PC Games - GAME.co.uk

Highlander999

ICC President
I was playing Medal of Honour: Allied Assault Spearhead a few weeks ago and there were a good few thousand people knocking around

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I was playing Medal of Honour: Allied Assault Spearhead a few weeks ago and there were a good few thousand people knocking around

Wow! People still playing MoH? Does that include Allied Assault, or just the expansion, Spearhead? I tried to find people in CoD2, but the servers are empty, have you seen anyone playing that recently?

Highlander999

ICC President
Yeah that includes Allied Assault it has a really strong online community and there are lots of mods out there for it as well (No gravity is hilarious)

I've never played COD2 so I wouldn't know

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Yeah that includes Allied Assault it has a really strong online community and there are lots of mods out there for it as well (No gravity is hilarious)

I've never played COD2 so I wouldn't know

Wow, I might pick up Allied Assault again in that case - it's really cheap now as well. It's odd that people are still playing that, but not CoD2, seeing as that's a newer game. Still, I suppose games have come out in the series that are better than CoD2, whereas you can't really say the same about MoH, can you. I didn't think much of Airborne, anyway, but I didn't play that online.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Hehe thanks for the memories. Allied Assault was, is the best ever multi player game period.

What i enjoyed was the vast amount of characters, each with their own English/American/French/German accents. Some of the put downs were classic.

"I've seen french school girls shoot better"
"Oi, stay out of my foxhole"

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Hehe thanks for the memories. Allied Assault was, is the best ever multi player game period.

What i enjoyed was the vast amount of characters, each with their own English/American/French/German accents. Some of the put downs were classic.

"I've seen french school girls shoot better"
"Oi, stay out of my foxhole"

So, people still play MoH: AA, eh? Well, there you go! Does anyone still play Battlefield 1942? If so, then this:

War Strategy Pack: Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Battlefield 1942 & Command & Conquer Generals - PC Games - GAME.co.uk

would be one hell of a bargain!! It was the base game of MoH:AA that was the real diamond, wasn't it? The expansions weren't all that from what I've heard.

langerrox

International Coach
quake 3 is still alive, but now theres a new version called "quake live" - its quake3 but you play it in your browser, it has great server browsing/stats/clans. I luckily got into beta and its worth waiting for!

Niv

Club Cricketer
Indeed Unreal 04 is still very active, and they have some sick arse modded maps!

Soldat is always fun and generally active.

Can't comment on much apart from that unfortunately...

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Seems I was wrong about CoD2: I must have had the internet options in the game set up wrong: it is still very active and will do nicely until I can get CoD4 or CoD5.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I've heard many games warn you not to cheat, or you'll get banned. Do they mean using cheat codes, or doing things such as camping?

Also, regarding camping, aren't there some occasions where it's sensible to camp: being a sniper, for example? Does camping mean when you stay in one exact spot and pick people off, or does it apply if you occupy a certain area for a long period of time, but move around within that area?

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Unreal Tournament 2004 is still very active as Niv said. I play it from time to time and some of the maps really are quality. I'd rather get 2004 than the new one for definite, saying that I already have 04 so little bias but it's a very good game.

Users who are viewing this thread