Oval Test result 'to be changed'

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/7485935.stm

The result of the controversial 2006 Oval Test between England and Pakistan is to be changed, the BBC understands.

The match was awarded to England when the Pakistan team refused to come out onto the field after tea after being accused of ball-tampering.

But the International Cricket Council is expected to change the result to a draw at its meeting in Dubai.

BBC cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew said the move would open up "an absolutely enormous can of worms".

He told BBC Radio 5 Live: "The Pakistanis were accused of ball tampering and they did not come out to play.

606: DEBATE
Give your reaction to the result change
"The umpires went into their room and said 'You must come out to continue the game', they did not and, under the laws of any sport, if you refuse to play, you lose the game."

"Match abandoned, they're saying, as a draw, - well, abandoned on what grounds? It wasn't the weather, it wasn't anything else, it was that Pakistan wouldn't come out to play for whatever reason.

"That game has now been classified as a draw, so if you're losing, you sit in the dressing room, don't come out and you can get away with a draw."

The former chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Shaharyar Khan, who was at the centre of the incident in 2006, said he "would welcome any decision to change the result".

Khan also told BBC Radio 5 Live he resented claims that his side refused to come out and play, adding they were merely delaying their decision to return to the field after being accused of ball tampering.

He said: "I do resent the comments that we refused to go out to play.

"We delayed coming out to play and informed the English Cricket Board (ECB) and referee three times that we were ready to return to the field."

A formal announcement of the decision on whether to change the result of the test is expected on Thursday.

Pakistan blamed Darrell Hair, one of the two on-field umpires on duty at The Oval, for the outcome of the game, which came to an end after tea on the fourth day with England on 293-4 in their second innings.

He and fellow umpire Billy Doctrove had earlier awarded England five penalty runs after ruling that the Pakistan team had been guilty of doctoring the ball to help it swing.

The game was awarded to England by forfeit, giving them a 3-0 series victory.

But Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq was subsequently cleared of the ball-tampering charge by an ICC tribunal, although he was banned for four matches for bringing the game into disrepute by initially refusing to resume play.

In the aftermath of the match, Hair, from Australia, was dropped from the ICC's elite umpiring panel, and took them to an industrial tribunal, alleging racial discrimination.

But after a week of evidence, the case collapsed and the allegation was withdrawn, with no financial pay-off being made.

Pakistan later agreed to play a Twenty20 match in England in 2012 and waive their fee for that match by way of compensation for the loss of the fifth day's play in the Oval Test.

Since the case, Hair has been involved in an ICC umpiring development programme and returned to Test cricket during the recent England v New Zealand series.

It is, however, unlikely that he will be assigned to future matches involving Pakistan.

Speaking in March, ICC general manager Dave Richardson said: "We would have to take a sensible approach. We will probably keep him away from Pakistan matches where we can."

They forfeited the game by not coming out, whether guilty of tampering or not, they should not have stayed in the dressing room. So now caving to pressure the ICC may set a dangerous new precedent, any team having a hissy fit over decisions they don't like will be cut all the slack in the world. Then again since when did the laws mean anything, they've since changed them so umpires are just things you hang sweaters on and count balls - incidentally a recent ball count found the ICC didn't have any!

I don't mind if England called us to play that test again, we have Misbah this time, and team is kinda better now. :happy

EDIT: actually we were about to win that game too,

Farcical decision to say the least. It happened almost two years ago, just let it die. It has absolutely no effect on anything so why raise the issue again?

Farcical decision to say the least. It happened almost two years ago, just let it die. It has absolutely no effect on anything so why raise the issue again?

Exactly. Bringing out old cobwebs, it changes nothing about an embarrassing day for Cricket.

I suspect this is part of a deal between England and Pakistan, with a much bigger debate ongoing.

You think there was a problem with the next tour of England by Pakistan?

I don't think, it would be stupid if there were, but "we're" always blamed for tampering when we tour England.

You think there was a problem with the next tour of England by Pakistan?

I suspect this is part of a deal between England and Pakistan, with a much bigger debate ongoing.

I don't believe its a problem with the next tour, then again who knows, with the monies to be made it might be a request.
But I alos agree with angryangy: There is a lot of politics within the realm of ICC and cricketing bodies world wide, favors been asked and being cashed in and called upon and we just can never be certain of anything.
Like np10 said, it changes nothing, why resurface it 2 years later if there was not something hanging on it. I guess we shall find out in time.

But politics and sport can't mix! Or so we've been told, by the Asian bloc this last week.

But politics and sport can't mix! Or so we've been told, by the Asian bloc this last week.

Yes and I agree with you, but the truth is, it does. With the kind of investment thats goes into cricket and the money involve these days, all countries wants to play it safe and not have to linger down the road with uncertainty, I believe that there maybe something we yet to know behind this and well time will tell.

Last edited:
No more 5-0 whitewashes for England! From now on we can lose the first game then sulk like little girlies in the changing rooms for the next 4 matches safe in the knowledge that we'll only lose the series 1-0 ;)

No more 5-0 whitewashes for England! From now on we can lose the first game then sulk like little girlies in the changing rooms for the next 4 matches safe in the knowledge that we'll only lose the series 1-0 ;)
You'll have to deal with the humiliation of losing 5-0 for 2 years before its changed :p

This would be silly to bring it back up again. Just leave it in the past and try and make sure it doesn't happen again. Doesn't make any big bearings anyway.

Makes me feel better though - but thats probably since I was at The Oval, Day 4, in Block 10, in Seat # uh...

I can't remember :p

You'll have to deal with the humiliation of losing 5-0 for 2 years before its changed :p
It's better than dealing with a 5-0 whitewash for the rest of your life!

Users who are viewing this thread