Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

Alberts

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
101101.2.jpg

A sad news... Feeling bitterly disappointed for both Phil and Sean.

Which is to be blamed for this - The Bouncer or the old Helmet ?

Nothing is to be blamed, it was a tragic, freak accident. Where he was hit wasn't going to be helped any cricket helmet currently used, and this kind of event is in no way unique to the bouncer. It was a terrible, terrible accident, but sometimes the most terrible of terrible things do just happen in a way no one could ever have predicted or helped. In this instance there may be things that could be done with helmets to help prevent a repeat of this almost impossible scenario again, but ultimately this is one time blame cannot, and does not need to be laid.

Our thoughts must go out to his family, friends, teammates, and of course Sean Abbott. A young man gone too soon.

May he rest in peace.

KrishnamurthiN

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Hughesy will always be remembered as 63 not out, a terrible loss indeed.... The news of his death was a real shocker for me and I am still feeling down due to it... RIP Phillip Joel Hughes.[DOUBLEPOST=1417177275][/DOUBLEPOST]And of course my feelings extend to Sean Abbot too...

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
@Samuels
As you said Cricket balls should be softer than of now.
Need a discussion for this.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
No disrespect to Hughes here but it was a freakish accident, and I dont think changing the fundamentals of the game will be the route to go.

I agree, one of the frustrations of such a terrible thing is that it demonstrates how little control you have over your fate and the world. hughes death should be marked and his life tributed, but trying to change things would only create the illusion that anyone can prevent such freakish, awful things happening.

I always felt that batting contained the elements of a metaphor for mortality, your struggle to get by at times, you take your opportunities when they come along, and through a mixture of good fortune, mental fortitude and ability you bumble along but a stroke of bad luck or indecision can end even a 10 hour stay in an instant. but it's not a good metaphor, because the reality of mortality is much, much, much worse than anything sport can show us.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
If phil would have been alive then it would have been his 26th birthday. Happy Birthday Phil.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I have to admit I was a little nervous today when Joe Root decided to bat with a cap on instead of a helmet. I know it was only against the spinners, I know it happens all the time but the events of this week have made me a little wary.

I was at the Norwich v Reading football match today and Reading's Australian goalkeeper Adam Federici brought a cricket bat into the goalmouth with him as a tribute to Phil Hughes.

Users who are viewing this thread