Planetcricket.net Official Review

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Alright Colin and Sureshot. Been a long time. Had a rough browse and I figured here's best to ask. Since I now have a working laptop with the ability to actually play a cricket game would you say it's worth picking up IC10 for my PS3 if I see it cheap? How does it play local 1v1? Is the AI passable if I ignore lofted shots?

If not, is there anything better at the moment? Have the ICC games improved enough since a few years ago to warrant buying another? Is Cricket Coach any good yet?

Cheers guys :)

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Well Nigel won't give you a totally unbiased view on ICC but I'd say try the free trial at any rate.
As for IC10 it's still the best there is which is both good and also deeply shocking.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Ha it's been so long without a capable and working computer I'd forgotten about the free trials. I'll give it a crack when I have a spare day and see if I'm still playing it 24 hours later, smelly, hungry and tired. Which normally means I buy it :)

I bought Ashes 2009 ages ago so I've installed that and it's okish, in that way that on a night out if you drink enough and squint your eyes you could sleep with that yeti with an eyepatch you met at 3am outside a kebab shop. Yeah sure, it's a computerised version of cricket, but do I really feel pleased with myself the next day?

Anyway, bizarre metaphors aside, is it at least mostly possible to play a test series? Can I edit team names, players etc if I wanted to? If it's enough of an improvement on 2009 then I think I might pick it up. Normally play cricket games with my housemate on the same team. Has anyone played it like that? Does it play ok? Cheers for the replies.

Also, Colin, how are you? :)

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Anyway, bizarre metaphors aside, is it at least mostly possible to play a test series? Can I edit team names, players etc if I wanted to? )

If you are sad like me and spend hours editing teams then yes it is passable - just played out a 4 day test against India (me as England). Its knowing which stats to edit etc

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
"If you are sad like me and spend hours editing teams then yes it is passable - just played out a 4 day test against India (me as England)."

I'm assuming you won by at least 350 runs, otherwise it doesn't sound very realistic at all ;) I think you guys have persuaded me, I'll pick it up in a couple of weeks, when I've got some free time to invest in it. I'll comfort myself with the knowledge that with every extra purchase there might be a slight karmic shift in the direction of long suffering cricket fans, and that one day, hopefully before cricket is nothing but a 5 over superslogasmashathon played in nothing but swim shorts, we will play an awesome cricket game.

Yes, if anything, I am probably sadder :p

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I won by 3 wickets :D

If you can accept middle order play lofted shots in tests you might even enjoy the experience

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
@Zim - which console are you using? If PS3 you can post the roster.

@Jeremy - I'm doing fine. Haven't bothered getting out IC10 for the current series as for some reason I have more of a PES thing going on.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Cheers Zim. Finally picked it up and I must say I'm really enjoying it. Helps that having not played much of 2009 I really have to graft to score runs (providing I leave alone the lofted shot button, which definitely is too easy). The 3rd person batting camera really adds to the batting, whilst I definitely enjoy the bowling a lot more. Catching has improved tons from 2009. All in all, it's certainly not perfect, and crazy to think they've got less game modes than 2005, but it's good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread