Planetcricket.net Official Review

P

pcfan123

That one change alone would make online play significantly better.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
BTW, Colin, since you are in touch with Codemasters/Trickstar (to a degree), could you perhaps suggest that we have the ability to choose to set online difficulty to medium or hard? That way, they have their way and we have our's.

As I intimated in the review we have suggested that in the past.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Colin, you were way too generous with your gameplay rating IMO. Based on all the gameplay issues you mentioned such as poor fielding & field settings, lofted shots way too powerful, online gameplay broken, yorkers and full-pitched shots hammered for 6 off the backfoot etc., I find the gameplay rating closer to 60-70 mark than 80.

Also overall score should be a bit lower. Considering the fact that you scored the game as follows :-
Gameplay – 80
Patching – 40
Longevity – 50
Graphics – 75

Overall has to be way less than 80 since you rated the game 80 in one category alone and overall has to be an average of the other scores. IMO Longevity is a big issue at the moment and I would rate the game lower due to lack of longevity alone.

Overall a nice review covering all that is good in the game along with which areas need improvement.

Last edited:

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
As I said I didn't take an average rating as two of the categories were disadvantaged by it being a console-only release.
These ratings are also relative to previous games. I didn't just pluck the figures out of the air but did them based on the scores other cricket games have been given by us.

In terms of what you've mentioned in your first paragraph, I don't think they all affect the gameplay rating. Field settings are unfortunately unchanged but I don't see fielding as being particularly poor. Online problems shouldn't affect an offline gameplay rating, yorkers etc being hit off the backfoot is, as I've said, mostly cosmetic. It looks crap but just imagine you're being hammered off the front foot instead. Not a gameplay breaker for me.

For reference here are some gameplay ratings for older games:
AC09 - 60
BLIC07 - 31
BLIC05 - 74
C07 - 65
C2k5 - 72
C2k4 - 78
C2k2 - 60

For me IC10 is better than all of those so I had to give it 80. Of course it could just be that we have no consistency in giving out our ratings. ;)

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Fair enough Colin. It was a good review and wanted to know a bit more about how you rated the game.

shamey

School Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
who ever made this official review does not know how to play cricket & is a liar.codies has paid him to do their dirty work.i curse codies every second.the are full of crap.mf

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
who ever made this official review does not know how to play cricket & is a liar.codies has paid him to do their dirty work.i curse codies every second.the are full of crap.mf

You've made this post in at least 6 different threads now. If you have any constructive comments to make about the review or the game do so, otherwise remember Socrates' aphorism about better to remain silent and be thought a fool...

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
I thought the world cup 2011 game will only be released on PCs and not consoles

P

pcfan123

Lets wait to hear it straight from the horse's mouth first. I doubt it will be PC only and if it is then it will basically be IC10.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
There you go...
Both articles are based off CricketGaming's one, which in turn is based off an article on a business website. If you read the article (which comes with a BS logo in the page's title bar) at Gaming firms getting good bounce from cricket you get a lot more context on it, and you get a article focusing on small little cash in flash and iPhone games.

The mention of a PC 2011 Codemasters game is not only passing, but in the context that it is in, I'd hardly trust its veracity with the highly likely chance it's a throwaway line that is a half truth at best.

Zapak plans to launch 11 cricket games in the next seven months for its gamers. A casual flash-based game can be sourced for a cost of Rs 10 lakh. For the World Cup 2011, the Codemasters game will be released on the PC format,” concurs Rohit Sharma, chief executive of Zapak
Now when they seem very focused on quantity of games, I certainly doubt their ability to release a decent PC game. But more than that, you certainly can't conclude PC only from that sentence.

I have no doubt you'll see a 2011 cricket game from Codemasters, but I very much doubt that it will be released in February 2011 to take advantage of the World Cup and if it did, they a) don't have the licences and b) would have next to no development time at all in it.

But really, I'd bet on it not existing, or at best, being a terribly crippled game worse than AC09 just so they can cash in on the hype locally, rather than being a major release.

So put it simply, if you trust Hitterman, believe that article.

Hitterman

International Coach
Originally Posted by shamey
Sorry but it's not true. Codies don't need to pay Colin for writing a review. I they really want to do it then they could have paid money to big gaming websites like Gamespot/IGN etc.

So put it simply, if you trust Hitterman, believe that article.
You're simply weird. What I have to do with that Business Standard article? I haven't written it originally so go and bang the original writer.

Users who are viewing this thread