Review Playtest Review/Preview(Review Links, Updated in First Post)

P

pcfan123

It's a bit like the perception from the Brits that all Aussies lie around on the beach, dying their hair and piercing their eyebrows.

I actually thought it was quite funny, but nowhere near as funny as Heath's response!

muahahaha, spot on mate!

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
Also, re: Jamie being a British tosser... Jamie was incredibly offended by this. He wanted me to point out that he is, in fact, an ENGLISH tosser. He?d have written on here himself, but he has trouble typing with those wet hands of his.

Ha, ha! Classic stuff mate! Also, 'organic' bowling. I like the sound of that. :)

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
We never managed it last time. The best thing to do was to play in New Zealand on a damp pitch, and the bounce was more like a normal cricket pitch.

See, that's the sort of thing I don't want to see. We don't want to be forced to play on a damp pitch because all the others are too bouncy - different pitch types are one of the essential things about cricket. Just like we don't want to hear 'well, don't bowl there then' for the ball that takes a wicket every time. Hopefully someone can do something about the bounce at least.

Eon

Club Cricketer
i only ever got my tips dyed... and that was once.. and im not a big fan of the beach, rather be on a cricket field lol

Golden28

Club Cricketer
Hey guys, I hardly ever post but reading the playtest reviews and watching the Ashes has piqued my interest in this game and I wonder if anyone could answer a few questions I have....

BLIC07 was a lesson in frustration for me as it had so much potential but ultimately dissapointed. Four things destroyed my interest in the game and I wonder how they have been addressed in Ashes 09?

1. AI pacing/field settings etc. Has the CPU AI been re-written so we now have a challenging opponent to play against? Not all of us play online or with spouses/relatives.

2. Batsman confidence falling after leaving a ball/playing defensive. Please tell me this has been erased. Also, confidence rose or fell far too quickly for me. It should take a few overs at least (unless a wicket is take or a four/six is scored) before confidence starts taking a noticable rise or fall.

3. Keeper/Fielder/Bowler knocking off the bails with virtually every ball. I know it's superficial but it compleley destroyed any immersion in the game when even after an easy run the fielder would whip the bails off every time.

4. Do batsmen now run past the crease when running between wickets or do they still magically stop, turn and stand there like statues ready for another run even though there is no chance of one?

I know the second two are purely aesthetic but they both really bugged me. My main concern is the AI though as this will eventually make or beak the game for me.

Thanks for any replies :cheers

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
1. AI pacing/field settings etc. Has the CPU AI been re-written so we now have a challenging opponent to play against? Not all of us play online or with spouses/relatives.
Certainly seemed more challenging, whether that is just an initial learning curve or not will make or break this game.

2. Batsman confidence falling after leaving a ball/playing defensive. Please tell me this has been erased. Also, confidence rose or fell far too quickly for me. It should take a few overs at least (unless a wicket is take or a four/six is scored) before confidence starts taking a noticable rise or fall.
The rises and falls seem gradual, but I felt they were still a bit too large.

3. Keeper/Fielder/Bowler knocking off the bails with virtually every ball. I know it's superficial but it compleley destroyed any immersion in the game when even after an easy run the fielder would whip the bails off every time.
Thankfully gone.

4. Do batsmen now run past the crease when running between wickets or do they still magically stop, turn and stand there like statues ready for another run even though there is no chance of one?
Magically stop from memory. They also get up really quickly after diving into the crease.

Golden28

Club Cricketer
Thanks for the quick reply sir. Sounds very promising indeed.

Maybe a rental for me to see how the AI pans out in the long term, but looking intersting so far.

sam1013

School Cricketer
When you set a custom field, do you know which fielders you are moving?

yes

School Cricketer
hi..i am new to this thread..i too have some questions!!kindly answer them

1) shot placement..eg when we play a cover drive, then the ball will always go in the gap or it may go straight to the fielder as well ( there is a specific area when the short is termed as cover drive,so i just want to ask it can go to any possible direction in this area). In short..360 degree shot selection is there or not?
2) are there Hawk eyes?? can we manually appeal for an LBW

Thanks;)

rlfan82

Club Cricketer
What are the in-game physics like?

Was listening to ashes on radio and they were talking about bounce. So I thought about the following for the new game, are bowls affected by these....

Height of bowler
area of pitch bowled to
style of bowler
weather
length

srk121

International Coach
Was listening to ashes on radio and they were talking about bounce. So I thought about the following for the new game, are bowls affected by these....

Height of bowler
area of pitch bowled to
style of bowler
weather
length

Far to complication for game like AC2009. May be 4 years later if they are on the right step.

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
To the guys the played the game. Do all batsman have generic stances? Or are some individual? Such as Katich who walks across his stumps, Ponting who always goes on his front foot and Pierterson who stands on an angle.

Users who are viewing this thread