Question for Cricket game veterans. - Cricket 2002 or not?

iant

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi everyone,
I have been reading these boards with interest for quite a while but only recently have I downloaded the Cricket 2002 demo.

But what i would like to ask is now that most of you have had the game and been playing for a while, do you find Cricket 2002 a 'leap' forward from Brian Lara or not?
If you would take the time i would appreciate your opinions on what you think is good about C2002 and what is bad.

Having only experienced the demo I have to say I quite like the 'feel' of the batting in so far as I think you need to watch the ball as well as the bowling cursor, which I felt in Lara was down to luck rather than skill and timing whether your shot was good or not.

I would be interested also to know about any improvements to the AI since the Lara game.

If anyone can explain what the 'blue' dot in the bowling overlay actually does whilst bowling in the game I would be grateful too.

Should I buy Cricket 2002?

iant

School Cricketer
Thanks for that link Ritwik, it certainly wouldn't make me rush out to buy the game.
Since the Lara days I got my bat/ball fix from 3DO's HighHeat Baseball series, which many writers believe has the best AI of any sports game. HHeat 2004 is released soon so I might just wait and get that.
If anyone here has even a slight interest in baseball I would recommend any of the highheat series.

I will still keep reading here though to see what develops after you all have seen what effects the patch has on C2002.

Thanks.

jonah

International Coach
I for one still enjoy the game. I must admit that time prevents me from playing it a lot, so perhaps that's why.
Sure, there are PLENTY of bugs, but if you can put up with these, then that's half the battle. I haven't yet installed the patch, so I'm not sure how many of these bugs are fixed (not many by the sounds of it :( ).
Graphically, c2k2 is superior to BLC, no doubt. And with all the graphical mods available for download this enhances the game further.
AI is the big let down. e.g.the CPU bowls far too many yorkers for my liking. BLC AI was better, but only AFTER people like Zimrahil had modified it. However, if you do buy the game, in my opinion the following add-ons are a must;
1.LordRippon's Player Statistics editor (edits the .ctm files direct).
2.Sriram's stroke editor to edit the saf files to your liking.
3.LordRippons field editor to change the default field placings which suck.
4.Shailesh's GamTweak. Allows you to change the pitch condition, especially good for Tests.
5. Ravi's exe files make the batting harder and more realistic.
6.Samsunrat's Line-up editor; choose the cpu line-up and prevents the really annoying line-up changes mid-match.
There is probably more stuff that I've forgotten!
The thing that we really need to be able to improve the game is the configs file cracking.
Others will probably totally disagree with me, and say that the game is a pile of crap, but, each to his own.

michaelwest

School Cricketer
Some elements have slighty be improved from BLC but not a whole lot.

The one thing I think was really dumb was when easports removed the ability to change the batting lineup during an innings.

Anyway Cricket games still need so much more in them to be considered as good Cricket games. Maybe Cricket 2004 will start a new era in Cricket games.

Edited By michaelwest on 1044084181

Users who are viewing this thread