The PlanetCricket View: Rahul Dravid ? A True Maestro

Article by Aditya -

images

He is the wall of the Indian cricket team, he is someone who is expected to make runs under pressure, even after playing international cricket for his country for more than a decade – IF he fails to make runs in a couple of tests questions are raised about is it the time for him to announce his retirement but this man, doesn’t give a damn about whatever people say because this great man knows only one thing and that is to play as well as he can for his country and no matter how tough the circumstances are, this man will never step back in making sure that he makes his country and his fan proud. He never speaks too much in the press conferences, he never speaks too much when he isn’t performing, he always let’s his bat do the talking. I’m talking about none other than Rahul Dravid.

Dravid has recently completed 13,000 runs at the international level but again his record were overshadowed by Tendulkar’s as Tendulkar was on the verge of getting to his 100th international ton but this man, Dravid didn’t complain. He doesn’t care about records, in a career span of more than 10 years, this great man has achieved many records but somehow he hasn’t got the attention that he deserves simply because the little master, Sachin Tendulkar, has achieved so many unbelievable records in his career that his records have always overshadowed Dravid’ records but a true Dravid fan will always regard Dravid as one of the best batsman ever to play international cricket for his team.

There is no question about what is so special about Dravid. If we look at how well has he performed in the second innings and in pressure situations the stats do the talking for him. Without even the stats, one knows that Dravid is a sensational player under pressure or else the name “wall” isn’t given to every other test cricketer at the test level. He has truly earned the nickname “wall”. Every international team knows that when India tours them or they tour to India to play the hosts, they (the teams) know that one man who would never give his wicket easily to them is Rahul Dravid. How often do we see Dravid getting out on bad balls? According to me, very rarely! Dravid doesn’t give his wicket away, you have to earn his wicket and earning his wicket isn’t an easy job that’s for sure and any cricket follower will know this.

Dravid has made runs in pressure situations and also on difficult batting tracks. No wonder why his record is so excellent in England. Indian team recently toured to England and Dravid made 3 centuries. Can you believe it? On pitches where the whole Indian team was struggling to make runs, one man clearly stood out and played some remarkable innings. Three centuries those were delights to watch. It takes extremely good concentration to make runs in conditions that are favoring the bowlers.

In India, we often see players getting out by playing lazy shots because the pitches are too easy to bat and the batsmen tend to lose their concentration. Until and unless the pitch is supporting the spinners, which usually happens when the match is into day 4 or day 5, the batsmen have the upper hand. In England or other countries where bowl is swinging and bowlers are usually having the upper hand, that’s where making runs matter.

In Sub Continent, one needs to play spin well and playing spin isn’t an easy task but Indian players are quite good at it and it’s obvious because they are aware of these conditions. When they travel abroad and they need to play swing bowling and face the bouncers, that’s where making runs matter and Dravid has done that quite a few times, hasn’t he? That’s what makes him a “special” player and a player that comes once in a while. A player who whenever steps onto the field to bat, wants to make his country and his fans proud! That’s the greatness of this great man.

The Little Master, Sachin Tendulkar, might have overshadowed him with his records but one thing is for sure, Dravid might not have got the attention that he deserves but he is still one of the greatest batsmen that this wonderful game “cricket” has ever seen. His records speak for him. His solid technique and great determination is not easy to be found in every other cricketer. Only a true legend can have such technique and great determination to do well for his country. Surely, when this great man retires it will be hard to find a replacement for him. Rahul Dravid – A True Maestro!

More...

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Dravid has been legendary in tests.But he was still a very good player in ODIs as well.People thought him unfit for limited overs.Thats very surprising for me.He's made the 2nd fastest fifty in 23 balls by an Indian batsman.Some of his knocks have been awesome as well like 92 in 63 balls vs England in 2007 in an ODI and 75 off 36 balls for RCB once in IPL.

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Dravid is one of the most elegant, selfless and brilliant cricketers I've ever seen.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I see what you did there, cricinfo helps. ;)

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Never knew that he ever played for Scotland before reading StinkyBoHoon's post. :eek:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I support any Dravid love. As great as Sachin is, Dravid has faced more balls and made more runs in partnerships than SRT. Someone had to be at the other end after all :)

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
Never knew that he ever played for Scotland before reading StinkyBoHoon's post. :eek:

yeah, I think his real name is actually Rabbie, he just changed it Rahul to deliberately court the nickname "wall".

but yeah, he was our overseas guy in the pro40, I always quite admired him for that cause it's not an easy gig playing for our crappy team.

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
yeah, I think his real name is actually Rabbie, he just changed it Rahul to deliberately court the nickname "wall".

but yeah, he was our overseas guy in the pro40, I always quite admired him for that cause it's not an easy gig playing for our crappy team.

Yes, thats one of the reason why I like Rahul Dravid. He's such attached to cricket mentally that he doesn't mind playing even for weaker teams. That is pretty much like what Shahid Afridi did by playing for Malaysia early on in his career.

I like such cricketers who are pretty much attached to cricket rather than doing anything fancy on and off the field. I don't know about others but I rate Rahul Dravid above Sachin Tendulkar especially in Tests and as a team man.

PS: For those who want to tell that Cricinfo doesn't mention Shahid Afridi played for Malaysia, here you go:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread