Random Thoughts

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Apparently a lot of thought has been given to this over the years as I found out after googling it!
I guess they only would have needed the one film :p but it is a serious flaw in Tolkien’s story.

D

Dutch

I guess they only would have needed the one film :p but it is a serious flaw in Tolkien’s story.
Mmm, there are a number of theories that kind of give credence as to why it had to be in the way it was done.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
Mmm, there are a number of theories that kind of give credence as to why it had to be in the way it was done.
Just get the alliance to the gates of Mordor as a distraction and whilst no ones looking get those eagles in

Yeah I would be crap at story telling :p

D

Dutch

Just get the alliance to the gates of Mordor as a distraction and whilst no ones looking get those eagles in

Yeah I would be crap at story telling :p
Ha ha......Council of Elrond:

"Right, send the eagles in"

"Okay"

"Tea anyone?"

End.

D

Dutch

I do think Tolkien missed an opportunity in this chapter (The Council Of Elrond) to have Gandalf or Elrond or someone explain why it wasn't a good idea to do so: They explain why the ring cannot stay in Rivendell or why it had no sense to send it overseas or to Gondor or let Tom Bombadil look after it;

"Why can't the eagles take it to Mordor?"

"Because they will eat it, drop it, get shot at, be spotted by Nazgul and fecked over...."

Or perhaps Boromir: "One does not simply fly into Mordor on the back of a giant eagle! There are...bla bla bla bla bla....."

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
I do think Tolkien missed an opportunity in this chapter (The Council Of Elrond) to have Gandalf or Elrond or someone explain why it wasn't a good idea to do so: They explain why the ring cannot stay in Rivendell or why it had no sense to send it overseas or to Gondor or let Tom Bombadil look after it;

"Why can't the eagles take it to Mordor?"

"Because they will eat it, drop it, get shot at, be spotted by Nazgul and fecked over...."

Or perhaps Boromir: "One does not simply fly into Mordor on the back of a giant eagle! There are...bla bla bla bla bla....."
I am going to have to read LoTR again (been well over 10 years ) and in particular the Council of Elrond chapter as you are right , it wouldn’t have hurt to explain why the eagles couldn’t be used.
Tolkien in fairness is very meticulous with his writings so is surprising he overlooked it

D

Dutch

I dunno, any god. Let’s just say the Christian god.
Is God christian? If there is one God surely it is irrelevant ultimately what the people who acknowledge his existence call themselves? A one true God is above all attempts by humanity to label him. Just as we dont speak of nature being christian or atheïst or islamic.

Users who are viewing this thread