Review: Acer AO Happy - Budget Netbook

ArcherMcKinley

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hello

I found this section of the forums pretty bare so I've decided to contribute some articles. This will be the first of a series of products that I will be reviewing. I hope you enjoy reading them.

Synopsis

#Specifications

#Build and Design

#Display

#Keyboard and Touchpad

#Performance

#Ports and Features

#Battery and Power

#Conclusion

Specifications

Product: Acer Aspire One Happy

Processor: Intel N455 (1.66 GHZ, 512KB cache)
Memory: 1 GB DDR3
Hard-Disk: 320 GB SATA 5400 RPM
Display: 10.1 inch WSVGA LED @ 1024 X 600 (Resolution)
Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150
Battery: 6 cell Li-Ion 2200 mAh

Wireless LAN WiFi IEEE 802.11 n
Ethernet LAN
Bluetooth 3.0

3 x USB 2.0
VGA

In-built Webcam & Microphone

Dimensions: 24x259x185 mm
Weight: 1.25 KG

Price: Rs 14, 500 - Rs 16, 500
Colors: Candy pink, Lavender purple and Hawaii Blue

Build and Design

the Acer Aspire One Happy looks absolutely gorgeous. It's basic shape is ahead of other notebooks that are available at a similar price. And it's quite thin, light-weight and sturdy.

It sports a removable/replaceable battery. This comes as a huge advantage as you can swap batteries while on the go so you'll never be let down if one fails.

Rating: 3/5

Display

The screen of the AO Happy is decent. It's hard to expect vibrant and intensive colors from a product of this cost.

Viewing angles. As long as you're close to it, you'll be able to get a pretty clear picture of what's happening.

Rating: 2/5

Keyboard and Touchpad

Acer's feather-touch keys are brilliant. They're very responsive, and typing is a delight.

The touchpad is decent, with the response being quite accurate. the single button that works as both a left mouse click and right mouse click, when hit on their respective sides is a bit hard but nevertheless gets its job done.

Performance

I'll call it straight. If all you're going to do do is browse the web, chat with friends, watch youtube videos in 340p and play the occasional game - then the Acer AO Happy delivers on its promise.

On the other hand, if you're a power user - a gamer, video editor and someone along those lines then you'll find the Acer AO Happy lagging behind often.

High-end programs that functioned decently: Boxee, Photoshop, Serif Webplus, Unity3D and most games that were created before 2009-10.

The 1.66 GHZ Intel Atom processor performs adequately. Applications open within a few seconds (2s-15s). Multitasking four or five separate applications will slow things down a bit, so you might want to keep that under control.

One way to check if a particular game will work on your netbook or any PC for that matter is to visit Can You Run It?

Ports and Features

Left-hand side: Charger, VGA port, 2 x USB 2.0 ports

Right-hand side: Ethernet, Kensington lock, 1 x USB 2.0 port, headset/microphone jack, 3 in 1 card reader.

A netbook generally lacks a disk player and so the AO Happy lacking this doesn't come as much of a surprise. If you're looking to buy games, it'll have to be through the internet.

the Acer Aspire One Happy comes with a few native Acer applications, McCafe internet security, Norton backup, Office 2007 and some games. The down-side is, that most if not all of them have a trial-period.

Battery and Power

Theoretically, you should be able to get 6-7 hours of battery life from a 6-Cell Li-On battery.

the Acer AO Happy comes close to the landmark of 3.5 hours with general usage, on an average.

Swap able batteries give it an added advantage though you have to buy them additionally or separately.

Conclusion

the Acer AO Happy is an affordable net-book, priced at around Rs 14, 500. It delivers faithfully in several areas. A great design, portability, decent battery and performance make this gadget a good buy. I've been using it almost everyday for the past 7-8 months and it hasn't disappointed.

If you have got enough money to spend on buying a higher-end netbook though, then go for it.

Rating: 2.8/5

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Haha, that's the problem with doing revision. So many tabs and windows open you've got no idea which is what.

Users who are viewing this thread