Richie Benaud to retire from Commentating

cricketspur

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Richie Benaud is to retire from TV commentating in 2010, what a sad loss this will be. Richie is my favourite commentator, always witty and informative, together with expert analysis and views. He will be a hard act to follow!!

I guess fans in the UK have considered him retired since he stopped doing the coverage over here. Haven't heard him commentate for a long time but I agree that is a legend and a masterful commentator.

Richie has been commentating just for Channel 9 since he stopped here, you could still hear him if you watched the games from Australia.

I wonder if he is planning a grand finale? Might he work for Sky for the Ashes this summer, in one last unexpected commentary job in England, before finishing in Oz in early 2010?

Not sure if he'd do that. He stopped commentating in the UK specifically because cricket went to pay tv.

Definitely my favourite commentator ever. Simply is the voice of cricket for me. Who comes even close? Penguins?

GillyFan wrote an article on this earlier, Benauds not working for any other broadcaster bar Ch 9, so won't be commentating on the Ashes. Shame as he is a legend in commentary, just hope it's not Ian Harvey that gets the job, his voice really annoys me!

Real shame to see him leave, I did notice he was taking more of a back seat in the 9 commentary team so he knew his time had come. Will be another sad day to lose another of Australia's greats this time from the commentary box.

A true Aussie great, I never get tired of hearing his commentary. Richie very rarely said anything bad about anyone, the only time I can remember real anger in his voice was when Trevor Chappell bowled the under-arm delivery off the last ball in the match against NZ; Richie said it was one of the most despicable things he had seen in cricket!

A true Aussie great, I never get tired of hearing his commentary. Richie very rarely said anything bad about anyone, the only time I can remember real anger in his voice was when Trevor Chappell bowled the under-arm delivery off the last ball in the match against NZ; Richie said it was one of the most despicable things he had seen in cricket!

I was reading this article about Benaud earlier - As Richie Benaud hangs up his mic we look back at his brilliant career - top ten - mirror.co.uk

It includes a video of his comments on 9 Sports after that incident.

Ste added 1 Minutes and 34 Seconds later...

A certain Tony Cozier?

I agree, it has been great getting another chance to listen to his commentary on the current WI v England series on TMS and Sky Sports.

It's very sad to see Richie retire, as the 12th Man once put it, he's like an old pair of jeans, he and the cricket are just a comfortable fit, and it will be very strange to see commentary without him. He's a true legend of cricket, it's almost as sad as seeing Warne and McGrath go!

I hope I get to see him commentating in a match when it's 2/222 before he retires. :p

A legend of the game and a true gentleman. Fine leg spinner, excellent captain, outstanding cricket brain and one of the best commentators the game has ever had. I suppose we have taken him for granted for the past 46 years, will be a huge shock when we stop hearing his voice when the cricket is on.

We can hear him on Cricket 07, 05 and 04 why worry?:D

thank god ...somebody must have told him sir it's time to give opportunity to young boys.....:p:p

Users who are viewing this thread