Sack Ricky Ponting

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Do they have anyone better? Clarke doesnt inspire much of confidence, seeing his batting form. I am not sure if he is ready for test captaincy. Who else then?

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ponting can't be sacked. Thats a ridiculous article.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Hussey. Katich. Both old but apparently decent tacticians.
Clarke is on for the future despite poor form.

Bhargav

International Cricketer
Ponting can't be sacked! But if he fails to get back the ASHES,then he might be!;)

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
His decisions have cost Australia plenty of matches. It's nothing else about his captaincy but his judgement on decisions is usually wrong. For example in the latest match. He bowled Hauritz for far too long and didn't attack enough with him. Another one was bowling George and Watson after tea (lunch?) was a desperate attempt to try and get some wickets.

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
Hilfenhaus looked the best bowler in the 2nd test.
and he was given only 7 overs !! :facepalm

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Do they have anyone better? Clarke doesnt inspire much of confidence, seeing his batting form. I am not sure if he is ready for test captaincy. Who else then?

Can I get a ride to overreaction city? Clarke fails in one series and the knives are out already. Here's his averages over the last 5 seasons:
2006/07: 5 Tests, 389 runs @ 77.80
2007/08: 6 Tests, 532 runs @ 66.50
2008: 2 Tests, 168 runs @ 56.00
2008/09: 12 Tests, 992 runs @ 49.60
2009: 5 Tests, 448 runs @ 64.00
2009/10: 8 Tests, 723 runs @ 65.72
2010: 2 Tests, 139 runs @ 34.75
2010/11: 2 Tests, 35 runs @ 8.75

And when you consider that 2010 series was one of the lowest scoring series in recent history and he was one of the leading scorers in the series, then yes this is his first failure for ages.

As for his captaincy, well I'm been pretty impressed with it in the matches I've seen him take charge in. The only weakness I spotted was that he has been a bit too finicky with the fields at times which can be a pain for bowlers when the field is always changing. But that would soon improve with practise.

Hussey. Katich. Both old but apparently decent tacticians.
Clarke is on for the future despite poor form.

Hussey will be lucky to still be in the team come the 3rd Test. Katich could do it and do a good job but he's hardly a long term option. Australia rarely appoint caretaker captains, they pick men who will be around for the next few years. The last 35 year old(+) appointed captain was Bobby Simpson in 1977 and that was exceptional circumstances. Steve Waugh was 31 or 32 when he was appointed captain and even then there were those calling for younger men.

let him fail to regain the Ashes first

Exactly...er, well sort of :p this is not the time for panic. Save that for after the Ashes if at all.

Last edited:

TumTum

International Cricketer
Well this is stupid. It wasn't Ponting's fault we lost this series, India seriously outplayed us.

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
Well this is stupid. It wasn't Ponting's fault we lost this series, India seriously outplayed us.

Too right. Clarke was off with the bat, so was Hussey. Hauritz never got into the ascendancy and was played with no real trouble. Don't forget Tendulkar who was in a class of his own and took the game away from Australia.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
It wasn't Ponting's fault we lost this series

He has cost Australia alot of games though. I can think of three Ashes tests where he's made pretty big balls up costing Australia the match. Edgbaston (2005) he decided to bowl first when everyone else said that it was a batters day; England go on to score 400 in the day and win by 3 runs. Then there was Cardiff (2009) when he decided that Hauritz and North were more likely to bowl Panesar and Anderson out than Siddle, Johnson, and Hilfenhaus. And then he decided that going in without a spin bowler at the Oval (2009) was a good idea, yeah right.

Then there is the current series where he's had a shocker to be honest. I fully expect to see the end of his career come the end of the Ashes if England win/draw/retain the Ashes.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
2-0 sounds bad but it was close series. You can hardly call it dominating like 2-0 in 2008 was. The pitch was not bad one to bat on even on fifth day. Yes it had low bounce but Indian players are adapt at playing it. Aussies just batter poorly in third innings and that cost them the match. It was never going to be easy defending 207 on that pitch.

The fielding tactics for Hauritz were bizarre though. Maybe they thought that batsman would have rush of blood like Raina gets.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
He makes far too many average decisions and we have broken all records under him, the bad records that is. Problem is we have no one to replace him, Clarke might be better tactically but doesn't really have the captains feel about him. Hussey went down 3-0 against NZ when he captained plus he'll be lucky to still be in the side.

Users who are viewing this thread