Story Sam Spurway's Road to Glory - Two Runs To Win - Has Spurway Won Himself A Beer?

Is Spurway good enough to be playing First-Class?

• Definately

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Yet

• Probably Not

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

domiw

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Sam Spurway's Road to Greatness

After two hard years of Playing in the second team, Sam Spurway has finally found a chance to prove his worth to the first team and the selectors. Somerset do have a policy to maintain two wicketkeepers in the first XI squad. Gazzard an Kieswetter fill that hole. But now, with Kieswetter injured and Gazzard on paternal leave for this match, Spurway has got to keep his eyes on the prize

Personal Information
Full name Samuel Harold Patrick Spurway
Born March 13, 1987, Taunton. Somerset
Current age 20 years 297 days
Major teams Somerset, Somerset 2nd XI
Batting style Left-hand bat
Fielding position Wicketkeeper
Height 6 ft 1 in
Education Wadnam Community School; Richard Huish College

Equipment
We are now using a whole new range of technology using the Hawkeye cameras. More information about these new innovations can be foundhere
These are the names for the different statistics:​
Hawkeye
Snickometer
Hotspot
Wagon Wheel
new.gif

Pitch Maps
new.gif

Ball Speeds
new.gif

Railcam
new.gif

Television Coverage
Channel Four and Sky Sports will be covering the LVCC Div 1 and 2 and the Natwest Pro 40. Channel Four and Fox Sports will be covering the Friends Provident Trophy (challenge trophy). The commentators for Sky Sports are; David Gower, M.Nicholas, I.Botham, and N.Hussain. The team for Fox Sports are; R.Benaud, T.Greig, I.Chappel And M.Atherton. Channel Four commentry team are; M.Holding, P.Mbangwa, D.Lloyd, I.Bishop. Simon Hughes has taken a huge job, as he will be the analyst for all three.

Fixtures
LV County Championship Division 2 click to view
18 April Somerset VS Middlesex
25 April Somerset VS Leicestershire
2 May Somerset VS Derbyshire
8 May Somerset VS Nothamptonshire
23 May Somerset VS Gloucestershire
31 May Somerset VS Middlesex
6 June Somerset VS Leicestershire
15 June Somerset VS Gloucestershire
13 July Somerset VS Northamptonshire
20 July Somerset VS Essex
25 July Somerset VS Derbyshire
14 August Somerset VS Glamorgan
30 August Somerset VS Glamorgan
5 September Somerset VS Essex
19 September Somerset VS Nottinghamshire

Friend's Provident Trophy
22 April Somerset VS Glamorgan
29 April Somerset VS Sussex
6 May Somerset VS Ireland C.C
18 May Somerset VS Hampshire
2 May Somerset VS Gloucestershire
27 May Somerset VS Kent
3 June Somerset VS Middlesex
10 July Somerset VS Surrey
13 July Somerset VS Essex
20 July Semi Finals T.B.D
20 July Semi Finals T.B.D
18 August Final T.B.D

Practice Matches
24 April Somerset Internal Red VS Blue
Other fixtures yet to be released

Last edited:

domiw

Club Cricketer
Its time to meet the team.

3copy-1.png

43.png

Botham: Good morning fans, we will be starting play in approximately one and a half hours. The sky is slightly clouded over but it will be clearing up later in the days play.

Holding: Yes good morning Ian, and sky sports viewers, im looking forward to a fabulous first-class match today on lords.

Botham: Middlesex have a strong team today with Owais Shah at 3 and Ed Smith opening. Billy Godleman is batting down the order, his second ever first-class match.

Holding: It?s not only Middlesex with a strong team, Somerset are also looking very good. They start very strong with Langer and Trescothick opening the batting, then Parsons, Durston, Blackwell, Hildreth, White and then Spurway. They all look in good form and ready.

Botham: and the bowlers look Strong from either side; the spinners, Munday, Blackwell, Durston and White against Kartik will be competitive. also the fast bowlers, Willoughby and Sheriyar, with Caddick dropping out, against Richardson. Who Do you think the fans and newspapers will be comparing today?

Holding:I guess that maybe people will be comparing Billy to Sam Spurway, who makes his debut as keeper today. It will be interesting to see if they, especially Sam as keeper, can cope with the pace and flair of the top level.

Botham: I completely agree with you. But before it gets too late, the light is good, the out field is looking alright. Lets go down and have a look at the pitch.

41.png

Holding: It is very hard and true, there doesnt look to be much grip, so the pitch wont be very effective for the fast bowlers.

Botham: very true. I would expect to be seeing a lot of runs today. As Geoffrey Boycott would say 'book in for bed and break fast on this, bat all day, bat all night, runs, runs, runs.' Now, the captains are coming out, lets have the toss

4.png

Trescothick: Heads!

Holding: It is a head, what would you like to do?

Trescothick: Ill have a bat. the pitch looks good for batting, the weather?s fine and I hope that we can set a challenging score.

Botham: Thanks Marcus.

Trescothick: Ok mate, take care.

Holding: Well there you have it. Somerset to bat first, looking to make a big total.

Botham: Yes we should be in for a fabulous Days cricket.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Last edited:

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Nice start. Too bad Langer couldn't go on and make a big score.

Highlander999

ICC President
Nice start but the text and images are just a bit too small. Any chance they could be larger in next update?

Go Beach Cricket :happy :p

gamerkid22

National Board President
Good start to the story mate. Nice work.

1. what is SHP Spurway's age?
(A) 20

2.Which hand does he bat?
(B) left

3. What are His middle names?
(D) Harold Patrick

4. How tall is he?
(B) 6 ft 1

5. When did he make his debut?
(B) September 16 2005

6.where was he born?
(D) Somerset

7. Which two other keepersare play for somerset
(D)gazzard,kieswetter

8. Sam played west of england cricket at which levels?
(D) All age groups

freddiw

Panel of Selectors
(A) 20

(B) left

(D) Harold Patrick

4. How tall is he?
(B) 6 ft 1

(B) September 16 2005

6.where was he born?
(D) Somerset

(D)gazzard,kieswetter

(D) All age groups

I hope no copywright breached !!!!

good start Dom just keep it up.. looking forward to future updates and your hawkeye will hopefully be good.

domiw

Club Cricketer
Well, as you can see on the screen (or below if you are viewing over the internet), Somerset have crumbled on their solid base wall which Parsons, Langer and Trescothick have done so well to create. Hildreth, Durston and White all made low scores, although Blackwell did make a 30. Parsons continues his knock on 56*. Who's next in? Oh yes, Its the young and inexperienced wicketkeeper, Sam Spurway. He must be feeling pressure as this is the vital partnership. Parsons will have to continue to play his shots, while Spurway ticks over the strike. I have heard he has a slightly unorthodox technique with helps his attacking nature. He is confident in himself and believes he can make it into the Somerset First XI as a keeper. With Kieswetter injured and Gazzard on Paternal leave, that gives Sam the perfect opportunity to make a name for himself in professional cricket. I wish him luck in his first innings and the rest of his career

5copy.png

We had started so well, with both out international players performing well, and Keith continuing the job. Suddenly, James and Wes were out within 5 overs, I padded up for half of Blacky's knock. When he was out, I actually expected Cameron to last longer than three balls. I usually have 5 minutes of preparation, getting in the zone. But there was none of that today. Now, I must walk out to the middle, take guard, and play the best innings of my life. ‘not much pressure’ I jokingly thought to myself. Walking out to the middle now, I go through the tunnel, and for the first time today. I really feel part of the team. My first step onto the actual ground is greeted with roars from the crowd. I look around and see signs with my name on, people cheering for me, and asking for my autograph. I finally reach the middle, and realize I havnt put my helmet on. The fielders in the slips, Godleman and Strauss think it’s just me being cocky. As I pull my helmet on I feel myself glowing bright red. Just as well I have it on now. I realize that I have the same field settings as Keith, who is on 56* at the other end. It’s going to be Richard Johnson to bowl my first ball of professional cricket. To him, I'm just another obstacle in his way to taking another wicket. But now, as he runs in to bowl, I begin to fell sorry for him… It's just back of a length and i go back to it, I drop it on the legside and take a single. Keith blocks out the rest of the over and its up to me again to face Murali Kartik. They have a very attacking field for Kartik; five men in close. He bowled a half volley on off, I go for a cover drive.. bang sent to the boundary. My third ball, I attempt to smack it but I toe it and set off immediately for a single, for a second I think Keith or I might be run out but we’re safe. I'm on strike again for the fourth ball of the over, Straight drive past the bowler for 2. Fifth ball, I go for another cover drive but it turns too much! It fizzed off the pitch, went through the gate and I am gone for 8 off 5…

Lets another look at that corker of a ball, i really did rip back into him, pitching well outside off, and ripping back to clip leg stump. Here's what Hawkeye thought of it:
hawkeye-1.gif

6copy.png

Trivia:
answers will be revealed in next update. Just so you know, there are 10 questions!

Last edited:

domiw

Club Cricketer
Sam SpurwayI'm walking back to the pav. i dont bother to take my helmet off. I bow my head in shame, I have missed my big chance... James, Langer and Cameron sit around a table playing poker, usually i would ask to join in, but not now. I sit on my own for 5 minutes, thinking, how could i have opened the gap between bat and pad? I hear someone else come into the dressing room. I dont look up but I get the feeling its wes, with his casual steps and comforting nature. He sits next to me.

Wesley Durston"Mate, It wasnt as bad as you think. The ball turned square! Most people would have got out to that

"yeah, that's the people who dont play cricket or arnt professional. The coach wont be happy and i'll be dropped for sure.

He's never happy. Come look at the replay, or at least the hawkeye. I don't blame you for going for that cover drive, you scored a four with that shot earlier, and you would have hit it if it hadn't done what it did!.

they watch the ball and then the hawkeye together

hmmm... You're right, it did turn pretty far.

He sits down to watch the rest of the game

Sorry but i have to go. Trivia answers and the rest of the ininngs will come in the next update.

freddiw

Panel of Selectors
well well an early fall unlucky....
obviously calling 'Langer' by his surname and cameroon (WHITE) and James (HILDRETH) by surnames could mean something

good graphics keep it up

domiw

Club Cricketer
well well an early fall unlucky....
obviously calling 'Langer' by his surname and cameroon (WHITE) and James (HILDRETH) by surnames could mean something

good graphics keep it up

langer is a quiet and contained guy, Sam hasnt yet got to know him, good detective work though, reps for reading thouroghly

Karachi Xpress

Chairman of Selectors
(A) 20

(B) left

(D) Harold Patrick

4. How tall is he?
(B) 6 ft 1

(B) September 16 2005

6.where was he born?
(D) Somerset

(D)gazzard,kieswetter

(D) All age groups

domiw

Club Cricketer
Sam Spurway; The star of Somerset [ICC 3] - End of Day 1

Nicholas_Mark_128x162.jpg
Hello, I'm Mark Nicholas and I'll be with you for the rest of today. After The ball of the day Katik Bowled to Spurway, the wickets kept on coming, with Parsons finishing on 64* and the last five wickets gone for only 24 runs. Kartik also did well, ending with 4-59. There was some great cricket played so far today, and I shouldn't expect to see this day finish without some more spectacular moments. The sun has just come out, meeting a very flat pitch. Somerset were unlucky as they did not capitalize on the batting track and slumped to a low total of 242 all out.

Well, I sighed, put on the gloves, and walked out to keep for the first time on lords on match day. We warmed up on the pitch with some simple roll,-catch,-throw-to-me-and-then-i-roll-it-again exercises. But after about 10 minutes, we went back in to change into whites. I had a chat to Ed Smith when we were in the tunnel. He said that he had hurt his ankle and needed a runner, but the coach thought it was an excuse not to run. He thought Ed needed to get into shape. I Struggled to hold back a laugh but failed. As we ran out to the pitch, with the batsmen slowly following behind, I could feel Ed staring at me. But anyhow, I was in position, awaiting the first ball.

0.1 Smith- Blocked down, no run
0.2 Smith- Blocked down, no run
0.3 Smith- Inside edge, Spurway picks up for none
0.4 Smith- Late cut, white fields at slip, another dot ball
0.5 Smith- Flicked to Mid-wicket for 1
0.6 Hutton- Blocked down, short leg fields.

The rest of the day followed pretty much the same pattern as the first over. No chances were given, and Middlesex finished on 69 without loss. Smith has taken 31* and Hutton grabbed 30*. I hadn?t let through any byes for that day and was pleased with myself.

7_01-down.gif

Trivia
Gamerkid - 7/10
Freddiw - 7/10
KX - 7/10
Jaz - 7/10

Qualification was: 5/10
Winners: Gamerkid, Freddiw, KX, Jaz

Predicta.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread