Sangakkara questions ICC rankings?

• Agree

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Disagree

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I agree with him. Everyone's blaming the rankings, but the real problem is that the rankings are skewed because the scheduling is so inconsistent. Make the schedule consistent and the rankings would seem better.

Plus the other problem is that there really isn't a standout team at present and there has to be someone on top - that's what rankings are. Yet the fans look at India at #1 and laugh. It's not the rankings fault that India's on top, it's that there isn't a great team at present. And that's the inherent problem with rankings: when there is a dominant team (eg Australia of years past) people complain there is no need for rankings and when there isn't a dominant team people complain that team 'x' is on top when it should be team 'y'. You can't win.

And that's why having the rankings linked with a Test championship would be a good long term idea IMHO. First, even out the schedule and then once every 2 or 4 years, get the top 3 or 4 teams in the rankings together to fight out a tournament of some kind.

Robelinda

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
There doesnt HAVE to be a clear number one, we are just used to it thats all with Australia's dominance since the start of the rankings. Realistically it doesnt make any difference who is number one, Australia never believed they were a great team until they beat everyone everywhere, rankings never meant jack to Steve Waugh etc, but when we beat SL in SL, and India in India we had beaten all, that was worth more than any huge ranking number that the ICC gives them. You think India believe they are invincible and have reached the climax because they are number one? Not a chance.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I disagree with Sangakkara's questioning, because he didnt question it earlier when his team was No.2. But I feel that the ranking system needs to be done away with, and create a new system that leads us into a test championship where the No.1 team is crowned after a battle. Have the usual bilateral test series (every series should be a minimum of 3 matches for points to be counted), and have points awarded for each test match (this way, dead tests will gain significance) with special points for an away test win (no special points for away series win). After a point (be it the 3rd year or the 4th year), pick the top 4 teams who will battle it out for the test championship in a knockout format.

so whats wrong with that statements. if public and administration cant understand the ranking systems. whats the point of having it????????????

Replying to your above post from the other thread,

Its with the timing of his questioning, not with the actual statement(s) itself.

Last edited:

hacker

Club Cricketer
I disagree with Sangakkara's questioning, because he didnt question it earlier when his team was No.2

Currently SL not at the bottom. They are at No 4. only few point below No 1

rocky_g

International Cricketer
I disagree with Sangakkara's questioning, because he didnt question it earlier when his team was No.2. But I feel that the ranking system needs to be done away with, and create a new system that leads us into a test championship where the No.1 team is crowned after a battle. Have the usual bilateral test series (every series should be a minimum of 3 matches for points to be counted), and have points awarded for each test match (this way, dead tests will gain significance) with special points for an away test win (no special points for away series win). After a point (be it the 3rd year or the 4th year), pick the top 4 teams who will battle it out for the test championship in a knockout format.

Replying to your above post from the other thread,

Its with the timing of his questioning, not with the actual statement(s) itself.
+1

When was the last time Sri Lanka won a test match in India, Aus, SA, Eng? So if they manage to beat India in this test series and reach number 1 position without even winning a single test match (in countries which i have mentioned above) will he say the same thing?

hacker

Club Cricketer
i think most of the indians not happy with sanga because they currently at No1. they think this system put them at No 1. actually that was right. IND wining most of the matches at home. same thing apply for SL. Aussies are the only Team that Perform everywhere. If IND tour AUS and SA they will end up with at bottom in no time

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
i think most of the indians not happy with sanga because they currently at No1. they think this system put them at No 1. actually that was right. IND wining most of the matches at home. same thing apply for SL. Aussies are the only Team that Perform everywhere. If IND tour AUS and SA they will end up with at bottom in no time

We never think the system is right because we are No.1. Did you read my above post where I advocated a new system that leads into a Test Championship? Our only grouse is that Sanga is talking about the unfairness of the rankings when his team is at No.4 (the popular positions are 1 and 2, even a team at No.3 is not as popular) and when India are being called #1.

Anyways on the TC topic, I wish the test championship gets introduced. It needs to be celebrated as big or even bigger than the ODI world cup.

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors

i dont know about the indians on this forum but nobody i know in person thinks india deserves to be No.1.
our bowling is worse than bangladesh...we dont deserve to be No.1 with such a shambolic bowling attack.

but having said that, i disagree with your statement that "Aussies are the only team that perform everywhere."

India v Australia 2008-09 | Cricket news, live scores, fixtures, features and statistics on Cricinfo.com

there is no ONE dominating team. the top 4 are more or less equally skilled. test championship does sound really interesting though.

Amiya

Panel of Selectors

As sai said earlier, the time wasn't right to raise that question. No. 1 means nothing. Teams and player play for winning and not to improve ranking, its get better on its own after win or performing. You are acting like a fool. So what india is no. 1 now, they will loose it if they underperform. Australia, SA never cared for ranking.

hacker

Club Cricketer
i dont know about the indians on this forum but nobody i know in person thinks india deserves to be No.1.
our bowling is worse than bangladesh...we dont deserve to be No.1 with such a shambolic bowling attack.

but having said that, i disagree with your statement that "Aussies are the only team that perform everywhere."

India v Australia 2008-09 | Cricket news, live scores, fixtures, features and statistics on Cricinfo.com

firstly i must say im not a hater of Indian cricket. that series IND won in India. thats why i told if they deserve to be No 1 they must win in AUS SA at least in SL.
secondly AUS have perform well in away than any other teams. maybe they had only one or two bad tours.(im not talking about current AUS Team)

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
After a point (be it the 3rd year or the 4th year), pick the top 4 teams who will battle it out for the test championship in a knockout format.

Really you want everyone to play everywhere in 3 years? 9 teams in the Test Ranking, so for one team, that equates to 16 tours in 3 years.

16/3 is 5.

That's 5 tours a year, and then if that team makes it to the top 4 another tour on the top of that. That's ludicrous and is the reason why the Test Championship is also shot down is because no-one has thought it through properly.

Cricket is going down hill because of the amount of cricket played, why then just go and pack more into a shorter space of time? If there is to be a Test Championship then it needs to be done so it is played out over a much longer period of time.

At the moment domestic cricket is shot down by almost everyone, there needs to be less International Cricket and more emphasis placed on Domestic Cricket.

Ollie_H added 0 Minutes and 47 Seconds later...

Teams and player play for winning and not to improve ranking, its get better on its own after win or performing.

:facepalm. You really think a team doesn't care about it's ranking?

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
firstly i must say im not a hater of Indian cricket. that series IND won in India. thats why i told if they deserve to be No 1 they must win in AUS SA at least in SL.
secondly AUS have perform well in away than any other teams. maybe they had only one or two bad tours.(im not talking about current AUS Team)

yes,india has to win in AUS and SA to really get the respect of No.1 .
but that unfortunately will not happen with such god awful bowling.

GloryX

School Cricketer
i think india deserve to be number one because they have got very few opportunites to play away from home and now they dont have a very good bowling attack because probably their to top bowlers are injured,india can mabye do well in SA,AUS and sri if they get there full bowling strenght back and they will probably have zaheer and shreeshant in the Australia series

Users who are viewing this thread