Scripted edges?

Astronot_Yet

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Just wanted to note, I was playing with 55 striker timing, bowler quality and wicket chance, but run rate was set way higher, at 75. Since reducing the run rate down to around 65 (closer to the wicket chance), the edges that find the gap every time don't seem to happen any where near as much.

I have not fiddled with any of the custom sliders, but still I cannot get even a single dismissal in the slip region. I have bowled over 900 overs in Test matches in Cricket 19, and 99% of the dismissals I see are caught behind or bowled. A couple of LBWs here and there. Nothing else. It's not like I don't get any edges, it's just that they ALWAYS go to either the wicket keeper, or where the fielders are NOT placed. I even placed 4 slips and a gully and the edged ball went wide of the gully for four. If I remove even one fielder from the slip cordon, the edges magically start going in that gap for four.

Can you please give me the list of what your custom modifiers look like? I'm getting annoyed of bowling close to a 100 overs per innings and getting zero edge dismissals and it's slowly making me hate the game.

bptuner

School Cricketer
I have not fiddled with any of the custom sliders, but still I cannot get even a single dismissal in the slip region. I have bowled over 900 overs in Test matches in Cricket 19, and 99% of the dismissals I see are caught behind or bowled. A couple of LBWs here and there. Nothing else. It's not like I don't get any edges, it's just that they ALWAYS go to either the wicket keeper, or where the fielders are NOT placed. I even placed 4 slips and a gully and the edged ball went wide of the gully for four. If I remove even one fielder from the slip cordon, the edges magically start going in that gap for four.

Can you please give me the list of what your custom modifiers look like? I'm getting annoyed of bowling close to a 100 overs per innings and getting zero edge dismissals and it's slowly making me hate the game.
I don't know but guessing at the available sliders work (specifically the wicket chance) I would guess:
  • The game registers based on quality of ball and bowler vs quality of shot and batsman there "should" be an edge
  • There may be an override on the "pure" physics of the edge based on the wicket chance slider, that keeps it away from fielders
@blockerdave posted this earlier in response to this discussion, which seems to make the most sense in terms of edges finding magically finding gaps. Same thing happens to me, soon as I remove a slip, they start going for cover drivers that just edge through the slip region for a boundary. I get a lot of dismissals in the slips, 3rd-4th get the most action. Don't bother with a first slip, the only ones that get past 1st are bullets that zoom past your keeper, which there aren't enough to warrant a first slip, and the slower ones your keeper is capable of jumping across to 2nd slip and take a catch. All this being said, with some creative fielder positioning, you can limit a lot of the edges going anywhere. Not caught, but best they might get is a single or just a dot ball.

If you want catches in the slip, bowl slightly off stump or even just inside the wide lines. Try this with a 3rd slip, 5th slip, gully and a backward point. Bowling a straight line often results in LBW/bowled or a straight carry to your keeper. Basically aim your line at the slips and that's where an edge will roughly go, if not slightly wider to backward point. Bowling bouncers/short wider outside off will also result in the AI trying to cut which will also often go to a slip or just straight up in the air (which you can even run in and steal the catch yourself!)

Also consider the pitch, some pitches are more friendly towards attacking the area around outside off rather than the stumps themselves or the corridor and those are the pitches you will get lots of balls in the slips direction.

At the moment I play with:
Veteran base AI
57 Striker Timing
55 Wicket Chance
57 Bowler Quality
65 Run Rate

Hope you get some slip action!

Note: Try playing with 3-4 perks that give a speed bonus. Consistently bowling fast generates alot of edges, and eventually one will go to the slips.

Users who are viewing this thread