abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
We all have our own styles. You prefer to sugar-coat things, I have a more direct way. If you think, the person is even borderline reasonable, I'd like to know what you're smoking?

So your way of not sugar coating things is calling people names and making personal comments - that too over a silly squabble on the internet ? Thanks for opening my virtual eyes

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
We all have our own styles. You prefer to sugar-coat things, I have a more direct way. If you think, the person is even borderline reasonable, I'd like to know what you're smoking?

I'd personally prefer if you changed your "style" of posting to avoid direct insults on forum members, since they are not called for and only ever cause problems

S

Satan666

Congrats to Mumbai Indians on winning the 2015 installment of the IPL. Sure all the supporters are partying now, enjoy yourselves but be responsible.......

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Congrats to Mumbai Indians on winning the 2015 installment of the IPL. Sure all the supporters are partying now, enjoy yourselves but be responsible.......
Yes we did. Champs!!!!!!

Epic

Panel of Selectors
So your way of not sugar coating things is calling people names and making personal comments - that too over a silly squabble on the internet ? Thanks for opening my virtual eyes
Tbf, I did get called a Dhoni worshiper, a Dhoni ass kisser and someone who kisses Dhoni's foot and praises him to the sky. ;)

Except when I see that, I know they're about to get Bane'd.

4d50d0bf457e159a502393880953f814.535x301x120.gif

@kushal717 and for all your directness, you didn't even mention your target's name and given his level of cognition, he'd probably think you were talking about me. :p

Last edited:

PokerAce

Banned
I was wondering ... just how well or deeply is the IPL known outside of India.

That is to say I am sure a very very large % of the cricket fraternity will have heard of the IPL, and know that such a tournament exists. However it is one thing to have heard of the IPL and another thing to have an extensive knowledge of the tournament, the teams, the captains, which foreign player plays for which side, who are the coaches, and so on. How many outside India regularly watch the matches.

If I had to guess I would say that at best those outside India would have a fleeting interest in some of their national players and how they are faring and that is about it. For example those in SA would perhaps know that Duminy leads DD, and thus would have an interest in how DD fare or how Duminy fares. Apart from that, I doubt they would care too much for the other teams, where SA players don't feature. The same can be said of other nations, like NZ, Aus, and so forth. They would tune in to see their national players or keep track of their national players, and thats about it.

I am not saying there won't be exceptions, but by and large this would be the extent of their involvement in the IPL.

Is this understanding correct?

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India

No, but you need to change your outlook a little. Just because you're on the internet, it doesn't give you a god sent right to troll a whole board. It is very 'clear' to anyone that that's what he was doing. It's absolutely normal to be critical of cricketers as it is to be appreciative. But, when you start to rile up a set of fans on a board for your personal amusement, it's not healthy for a discussion forum. I come here to gain some knowledge of the sport and have healthy discussions/arguments. There are always people in everyday life that are just there to prick on someone. It's not required. And, I'd like to believe I was very much within the boundaries. I didn't lay a slang on him. If calling someone a donkey offends you and you feel it's out of line or it puts bad taste to a discussion then I apologize to you. But, I have nothing to apologize to that chap about. I just called a spade a spade.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I'd personally prefer if you changed your "style" of posting to avoid direct insults on forum members, since they are not called for and only ever cause problems

I'm sure I caused a massive problem, while he was being really informative and reasonable. Like I said to 'abhi jacko,' I didn't have any intent of offending you, if it's disrupted your discussion or left a foul taste with you then I'm sorry, but I'm pretty unapologetic about my feelings towards that chap.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
I was wondering ... just how well or deeply is the IPL known outside of India.

That is to say I am sure a very very large % of the cricket fraternity will have heard of the IPL, and know that such a tournament exists. However it is one thing to have heard of the IPL and another thing to have an extensive knowledge of the tournament, the teams, the captains, which foreign player plays for which side, who are the coaches, and so on. How many outside India regularly watch the matches.

If I had to guess I would say that at best those outside India would have a fleeting interest in some of their national players and how they are faring and that is about it. For example those in SA would perhaps know that Duminy leads DD, and thus would have an interest in how DD fare or how Duminy fares. Apart from that, I doubt they would care too much for the other teams, where SA players don't feature. The same can be said of other nations, like NZ, Aus, and so forth. They would tune in to see their national players or keep track of their national players, and thats about it.

I am not saying there won't be exceptions, but by and large this would be the extent of their involvement in the IPL.

Is this understanding correct?
It is, and that's what the BCCI is going for, IPL in it's current 2 month format isn't going to garner the sort of overseas interest people think it should be getting... to garner international interest the IPL will either have to be turned into something like a 6 month long or year long "league" with the matches spreaded out over the period time to the point where it will rival international cricket itself, or it needs to be shortened like the CLT20 is today.

IPL did recently sign an 8 year agreement that any talk of expanding the the league will be held off.

IPL will not expand for eight years | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

PokerAce

Banned
It is, and that's what the BCCI is going for, IPL in it's current 2 month format isn't going to garner the sort of overseas interest people think it should be getting... to garner international interest the IPL will either have to be turned into something like a 6 month long or year long "league" with the matches spreaded out over the period time to the point where it will rival international cricket itself, or it needs to be shortened like the CLT20 is today.

IPL did recently sign an 8 year agreement that any talk of expanding the the league will be held off.

IPL will not expand for eight years | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

To be fair if the interest level is as it is, then its not so bad to be fair. I mean I have heard of the Big Bash, but I don't think I can name a team that plays in it. That is I am sure Melbourne probably has a team in it or Adelaide, but I have no idea what the Melbourne team would be called, or the Adelaide team. The same for Ram Slam (I think I remember Cape Town Cobras, from CLT20 though) or CPL or B'desh PL. Or which player plays for which side. Of course if an Indian player, retired or otherwise were to play in those leagues, I would probably try and follow how they do, but thats abt all.

So even if there are some ppl overseas tuning in to see matches only to follow their national side players that good enough for me. One can't really expect neutrals to form an attachement to a league just 8 years old. Think of how long La Liga and Premier League had been around, before they spread globally, especially outside Europe. So for an IPL to have a fleeting interest from a bit of all the cricketing world is a great start, given that its just 8 yrs old.

Also players from England and Pakistan haven't even played that much to generate any real interest from those parts of the world yet.

As for making IPL a year long thing, its just not a practical idea. There is just no room in the calender. Football can be a year long thing, as gap for International fixtures are built into accomodate all leagues, and there 15 day windows when the league (most top leagues) are off, and Int'l fixtures played there in.

With IPL such 15 day windows will accomplish little. A full tour usually lasts 2 months, and longer if more than 3 tests are to be played. IPL cannot keep being broken up, to allow teams 2 months of window to play Int'l fixtures and then return to IPL. It would be impractical.

Though what is not helping the IPL is the 4 overseas players cap. Having said that one knows why it needs to be in place. I would however like it if IPL would extend the overseas cap to 5, and on the condition that atleast 1 of the 5 has to be from a non test playing nation. That I think would really help spread IPL to the non test playing nations. They would all want to see how their guy does against the best in the world. But again, if the option to extend it to 5 was possible, then they may as well make it any 5. I think 5 overseas, 5 Indian, and 1 uncapped India would be a better rule and balance.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
I agreed with most of what you said, except a few bits that I thought I'd reply to.

As for making IPL a year long thing, its just not a practical idea. There is just no room in the calender. Football can be a year long thing, as gap for International fixtures are built into accomodate all leagues, and there 15 day windows when the league (most top leagues) are off, and Int'l fixtures played there in.

With IPL such 15 day windows will accomplish little. A full tour usually lasts 2 months, and longer if more than 3 tests are to be played. IPL cannot keep being broken up, to allow teams 2 months of window to play Int'l fixtures and then return to IPL. It would be impractical.

Actually the gap for international fixtures are built into accommodate international football, football fans dread them and just put up with it because the international teams need preparation for the Euros, Copa America's and the World Cup, and this is precisely where cricket is different, international cricket leads the way today and hence why it seems impractical today to expand the IPL into a year long league as it would seem impractical to dedicate more international windows in football, however, money changes everything. Someday it will be practical and that day the IPL will become a year long like the PL or a 6 month long league like the NFL, but that day clearly isn't today which is why they've signed off on any talk of expansion for another 7 years. Another thing is when the IPL expands, international cricket won't become like what international football is, that's just impractical, the boards and ICC will work something out that works for all parties, keeps Test cricket alive and well and moving forward with the times, I'm guessing we'd have day and night Tests by then, hopefully.

Though what is not helping the IPL is the 4 overseas players cap. Having said that one knows why it needs to be in place. I would however like it if IPL would extend the overseas cap to 5, and on the condition that atleast 1 of the 5 has to be from a non test playing nation. That I think would really help spread IPL to the non test playing nations. They would all want to see how their guy does against the best in the world. But again, if the option to extend it to 5 was possible, then they may as well make it any 5. I think 5 overseas, 5 Indian, and 1 uncapped India would be a better rule and balance.
I think no limit on overseas players is an inevitability like I believe expansion is, that road will have to be crossed someday and it will too be controversial, but I too would like 5 overseas players for a start and I like the idea of 5 overseas, 5 capped or uncapped Indians and 1 uncapped Indian.

Last edited:

Santander

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I've always thought having a 4 + 1 overseas player quota with the "+1" being an associate player would be interesting. The Bangladesh Premier League actually required teams to sign at least 1 associate player, which I'm sure was great in both financial and cricketing terms for the players who were signed. However, I think there's probably only 2 players right now (Paul Stirling and Tom Cooper) who could benefit from this rule and I fear it would only end up just giving ten Doeschate more money. Even Kevin O'Brien probably doesn't add enough cricketing or marketing value to be worth signing anymore.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I just called a spade a spade.

So basically, instead of ignoring a troll, you are asking me to feed him with the one thing trolls thrive on - personal insults ? Makes sense

Users who are viewing this thread