Sehwag Vs Jayasuriya

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I was just thinking recently about Sehwag and Jayasuriya. They are two of the most similar players in world cricket; both hard hitting openers and both part time bowlers.

Their statistics are very similar too.
Batting

Sehwag:

Tests: 4155 runs at 49.46
ODIs: 5153 runs at 31.61. SR = 97.11

Jayasuriya:

Tests: 6791 runs at 40.42
ODIs: 12116 runs at 32.83. SR = 90.50

Bowling

Sehwag:

Tests: 14 wickets at 48.14
ODIs: 76 wickets at 40.26

Jayasuriya:

Tests: 96 wickets at 34.17
ODIs: 306 wickets at 36.48

The question I pose is why is one dropped from both tests and ODIs while the other was regarded as one of the greatest ODI hitters and test openers to whom being dropped from ODIs was not an option for a large portion of his career (except in 2003/4 but the discussion of his position was swiftly dropped after a fine year in 2004).

Sehwag has the clearly better test match batting record and scores at a similar average in ODIs to Jayasuriya with an extra 7 runs per hundred balls. Do, Sehwag's many weaknesses make people subconsiously think he is the worse batsman, regardless of performances or does Sehwag's nought or century approach make people question his consistancy.

Another point of view is that Jayasuriya's superior bowling makes him the better all round cricketer and so his swashbuckling hitting can be accepted and any low scores can be accounted for by a good spell.

What is your point of view? Are you of the minority that thinks that Sehwag is the better player:eek:, let's have your views.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I'll go for Jaya. None are better batting wise, and while Jaya's bowling is fast, flat and good for ODIs, Viru's loop and drift poses a threat in Tests. I go for Jaya for Experience. Both are equal fieldsmen too.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
I'll go for Jaya. None are better batting wise, and while Jaya's bowling is fast, flat and good for ODIs, Viru's loop and drift poses a threat in Tests. I go for Jaya for Experience. Both are equal fieldsmen too.

So you would say that Jayasuriya is the better cricketer because of his bowling. Fair enough, but he is widely accepted as the better batsman, why do you think this is?

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Well, I think that this will be hard because they are both at different points in there career.

Sehwag is currently on the outer after a great start when he was scoring hundreds left right and center and was one of the best openers in the world. I reckon he is a great player, but he will need to sort himself out become a better player then Jayasuria.

Ther is no doubt with me that Jaya is a better player/opener and will end his career as a better player unless Sehwag can get back to his best (Early 2000's).

Jayasuria>Sehwag

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
So you would say that Jayasuriya is the better cricketer because of his bowling. Fair enough, but he is widely accepted as the better batsman, why do you think this is?
Nope. I say he is better cause he has more experience.

Viru is lethal against short bowling and square of the wicket. When he was in form, he was unstoppable playing straight and off the front foot too. His offspin is the kind which takes wickets, teasing the batsman with flight, drift, loop and good turn.

Jayasuriya hits the ball and hits it hard all over the wicket, and has great hand-eye co-ordinating and footwork. Just like Viru. But he doesn't go out of form easily as his style of play is simple, just bash it well. And with good footwork and strong hands, that isn't any trouble. His bowling is flat, fast, and accurate with good variations. But in tests, he can be negotiated easily but makes run-scoring difficult.

Both are different and equal. Both are also of medium speed in the field but safe catches, but Jaya wins due to having more matches under his belt and more experience and know-how.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Sehwag's better. Jayasuriya's batting is very inconsistant & Sehwag scores better & bigger when his on song.

Though, I don't really rate Jayasuriya because of his shots across the line of the ball. I believe if you're a half decent bowler you'll get him out even when his on song.

Sehwag's Test Record speaks for itself. The form of the game which counts & Sehwag averages nearly 10 more runs then Jayasuriya.

Judging from some of the comments I've seen on here in the past year or so sadly I think Sehwag got to a point where he was scoring he runs so easily that he became lazy & went into a rough patch which seemingly his having difficulty getting out of.

kersnort

School Cricketer
Sehwag is a much better test player than Jayasuria has been for a while, shouldn't have been dropped in the first place.

Jayasuria is an extremly useful ODI player both with getting his side off to a flyer, and with tying down the opposition as well, with his quick spin.

Overall, Sehwag is more talented with the bat and therefore beats Jayasuria on this one.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Well,comparision between two very similar players.

Both been the ex-captains of their side.
Both are openers.
Hard-hitting batsmen.

The list goes on.

Really duno whom to choose,but i'd go in for Jaya,just coz he is more experienced.If you ask me the same question in 2011,my answer might be different.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Sehwag's better. Jayasuriya's batting is very inconsistant & Sehwag scores better & bigger when his on song.

Though, I don't really rate Jayasuriya because of his shots across the line of the ball. I believe if you're a half decent bowler you'll get him out even when his on song.

Sehwag's Test Record speaks for itself. The form of the game which counts & Sehwag averages nearly 10 more runs then Jayasuriya.

Judging from some of the comments I've seen on here in the past year or so sadly I think Sehwag got to a point where he was scoring he runs so easily that he became lazy & went into a rough patch which seemingly his having difficulty getting out of.

Sehwag is a much better test player than Jayasuria has been for a while, shouldn't have been dropped in the first place.

Jayasuria is an extremly useful ODI player both with getting his side off to a flyer, and with tying down the opposition as well, with his quick spin.

Overall, Sehwag is more talented with the bat and therefore beats Jayasuria on this one.

Well,comparision between two very similar players.

Both been the ex-captains of their side.
Both are openers.
Hard-hitting batsmen.

The list goes on.

Really duno whom to choose,but i'd go in for Jaya,just coz he is more experienced.If you ask me the same question in 2011,my answer might be different.

All valid points, but why do you think Jayasuriya is rated so much more higher than Sehwag is.

kersnort

School Cricketer
All valid points, but why do you think Jayasuriya is rated so much more higher than Sehwag is.

He is more highly rated than Sehwag becuase he is playing in a worse team than Sehwag. Sri Lanka would have others that are worse players than Jayasuria under the microscope for being dropped. Where as India have a number of people knocking on the door, and Tendulkar and Dravid aren't going to be dropped, so Sewhag is under scrutiny every time he doesn't perform to the level of Tendulkar and Dravid, when he is a lesser player.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India

I do not think that Jayasuriya comes from a poor team.
He hails from a team that won the World Cup.I belive his antics in 1996 helped them clinch the WC.
Also,his play in the Finals is outstanding.Though i must confess that Sehwag also plays well in the finals.

Overall,Jaya has won more matches for his nation than Sehwag has.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
jaysuria is the better allrounder, (if sehwag wants to call himself an allrounder). i think sanath jayasuria is far more consistent with the bat, even if his averages are lower. jaysuria also picks up wickes almost every match, whereas sehwag is just like a partnership breaker, an example of this would be in last year's champions trophy where sehwag got chanderpaul out to a really good'un....

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Because Jayasuriya is a pioneer & revolutionized hitting over the top in ODI cricket.

Sehwag's a way better player due to the fact that he was classy enough to average over 50 with the bat for some time.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
Because Jayasuriya is a pioneer & revolutionized hitting over the top in ODI cricket.

Sehwag's a way better player due to the fact that he was classy enough to average over 50 with the bat for some time.

sehwag should have learnt how to play with controlled agression, i know people would have said carry on if he played agressively and got a double ton or something like that, but aginst the big teams he hasnt learnt how to play the bowlers respectively, a fine example would be against SA ODI where shaun pollock was bowling a good lentgh just outside off stump, and sehwag decides to cut at it from the very first ball, i mean, common, new ball, good lentgh, swinging, seaming and possibly jagging back in....:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread