Shane Warne Out of WC.... - Found guilty in dope test results

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amber22

Shane Warne has been sent home from the World Cup after failing a drugs test, the Australian Cricket Board confirmed at a Johannesburg press conference.

ACB chief executive officer James Sutherland revealed that leg-spinner Warne had tested positive for a diuretic - a drug often used to help weight loss or as a masking agent for other drugs.

Sutherland said that Warne would be flying home later today and would undergo further tests in Australia.

Warne has been recovering from a shoulder injury and has been on a fitness programme since the start of 2002.

The test, carried out by the ACB, was a routine test.

Sutherland told the press conference: "I am here today to announce that Shane Warne has expressed his wish to stand down from the Australian World Cup team and will return to Australia today to complete further drug tests and face a hearing under the ACB anti-doping policy.

"This follows Shane's advice to us that the Australian Sports Drugs Agency have told him he has tested positive for a diuretic on samples he provided in Sydney last month.

"Shane notified the ACB yesterday as soon as he received the news and he believes the failed tested is because of a flu reduction medication he took in Sydney last month.

"The ACB has referred the matter to the ACB anti-doping committee based on our belief that he may have committed an offence under the ACB anti-doping rules.

"The hearing will take place in Melbourne as soon as possible."

Sutherland added: "There has been an anti-doping policy since 1998. All players have been educated about the policy.

"We support the testing.

"At the same time, we commend Shane about his approach, including coming forward as soon as the information was made available.

"We have advised the ICC of the situation and have applied to the technical committee for approval to replace Shane in the World Cup squad committee."

Warne said: "As James has said, I was shocked and absolutely devastated that the test sample indicated a presence of a prohibited substance.

"It's not finalised until my B sample.

"I'm shocked because I have not taken performance-enhancing drugs.

"I did take a fluid tablet before my comeback game in Sydney and didn't know it contained any banned substance.

"I have decided to return home in the best interest of the team and address the situation personally which the ACB are supportive of.

"I want to repeat, I have never taken performance-enhancing drugs and am confident it will be cleared up soon.

"My previous tests have always come back negative. I have spoken to my team-mates and they are supportive."

Mr. Kurns

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Errr?? why the hell did you bump a 3 and a half year old topic? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread