The PlanetCricket View: Should Kane Richardson be reconsidered for Twenty20 and ODI matches fo

Article by Spickery -

When the cricketer Kane Richardson is talked about most people think back to the incident in January 13, 2013 where he was removed from the Australian bowling attack by umpire Marais Erasmus for repeatedly running on the pitch, in his ODI debut for Australia. It is sad to think that most of Australian public remember him because of this error instead of the potential he has as a young fast bowler. The Australian selectors will remember what occurred in his ODI debut if he is ever considered for Australian selection again. It wouldn’t be unlikely that other cricketers may be selected ahead of Richardson because selecting Richardson would come with ?risk? in the selectors eyes.

Observant cricket followers will be excited by the ability that Richardson possesses. He can bowl spells at 140-145kph while swinging the ball. This gives him the knack of taking crucial wickets in the short form of the game. Fielding seems to come naturally to him as he regularly takes catches with his safe pair of hands and he pulls of athletic dives in the field. His batting should also not be forgotten. Richardson can play attacking shots low down the batting order. This will result in him scoring more runs as he further develops his batting technique.

With Australia being knocked early out of the World T20 more emphasis needs to be placed on giving promising cricketers like Richardson experience in the shorter formats. This gives players the chance to show what they can do on the big stage, so match winners like Glenn Maxwell can be unearthed. With Australia?s bowling line-up for Twenty20s and ODIs not yet settled, it gives Richardson a chance to push his case for national selection. Richardson is currently playing for the Rajasthan Royals in the Pepsi IPL, where he can demonstrate what he is capable of in front of sold out crowds. How Richardson?s cricket career progresses will be an interesting story to follow.

More...

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I have always rated him, his debut was solid enough if you forget about his no ball issues. He has continued to perform since being dropped which is always a good start. Certainly wouldn't complain if he was tried in the T20 and ODI again.

Just a shame SA are mucking him around in the longer format.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yea why not, if he plays that format, AUS can keep Pattinson wrapped up just for test cricket.

SWITCHHIT

Club Cricketer
@MattW i have found many great articles by some of them like spickery etc. But they don't get the sort of attention they need.Do something so they get more attention.

NoLeName

PlanetCricket Writing Team
I think there are other quickies I'd place above him in the pecking order, but his name should definitely be thrown around.

Users who are viewing this thread