Should the Champions Trophy be scrapped?

Should the ICC Champions Trophy be scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WG.

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
It would be so entertaining tho.

I see the point of matches being so short, but you could have two matches at the one ground so people get their moneys worth.

The Champions Trophy is every 2 years currently? So why not have the Champions Trophy every 4 years, so that every 2 years there is a Tournament. So that when there isn't, the players actually get the time off.

Iron-Haggis

Club Cricketer
The ICC Champions Trophy is a waste of time. It's just a money making exercise. There is way too much ODIs being played between countries without the assistance of the Champions Trophy. Every nation is looking beyond the Champions Trophy anyway. All but Australia and England (Who are looking to The Ashes) are looking towards the World Cup.

Greenidge

School Cricketer
Scrap it.
If it has to be replaced with anything, then replace it with more test cricket.
Hopefully the players will never have to play a 20/20 competition. The one off games they have now are bad enough.

arkmarkell

School Cricketer
The champions trophy only lasts 2 weeks. How is 2 weeks going to tire out players who are supposed to be professional.This tournament also raises a lot of money for development of the game in under-privleged nations. They should also remember that playing for their countries is their jobs and not just a past time. They have contracts and huge money deals covering them for doing this job. Every job has its down points. And about Australia's 5 month break, like Steve Waugh said today, not many jobs in the world get a 5 month break.

Iron-Haggis

Club Cricketer
Do you think that they'll be able to sit down for 5 months and do nothing? They still have to train and stay fit. People seem to think that the only work athletes do is when they are competing. Forgetting these guys train hard for most of the week too.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
arkmarkell said:
The champions trophy only lasts 2 weeks.
For the 2006 tournament, the first match is on the 7th of October, and the last on the 5th of November. So that's four weeks. Even if you remove the preliminary round, it lasts 3 weeks.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
WG. said:
The Champions Trophy is every 2 years currently? So why not have the Champions Trophy every 4 years, so that every 2 years there is a Tournament. So that when there isn't, the players actually get the time off.

I agree with this - make it like football with it's World Cup and the slightly less prestigious European Championships.

Ritwik

co-founder
Don't forget that the BCCI has also said that it is a waste of time - it is held in september/october which are the best months for Cricket in India.

rituraj

School Cricketer
To revert back to its original status as a Knockout tourney rather than round robin thing of taday. Yeah would also like if its name is also reverted to its initial name of ICC KNOCKOUT Championship :).

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
In my opinion, more should be made of the LG ICC Test rankings and the LG ICC ODI rankings tables, instead of just giving a number of points determined by complicated maths. There would be real competition between the teams if there was 5 points for a win, 2 for a draw or tie and 0 for a loss. This would be an ideal league format for both forms of the game, plus the World Cup. So, scrap the Champions Trophy and make the Test & ODI rankings more valuable.

sid_19840

International Coach
Considering into account that ICC have recently announced a 20-20 world cup so that would mean a lot more 20-20 games during the year as well.I would highly doubt the occurence of this trophy in the future,it wouldnt be practically possible to have such major events happening so frequently.

Blackadder

School Cricketer
I think it's a good tournament, but perhaps they could look at staging it once every 4 years with a 2 year gap between the World Cup and Champions Trophy. This would then allow the ICC to stage a Twenty20 World Cup every 2 years during the other years which don't have a major ODI tournament.

tassietiger

International Cricketer
I like it. If Australia wants to send Australia A over there, I'll definitely still watch - and would enjoy it far more.

kodos

International Coach
Dont think Australia would send an 'A' team. They haven't won the trophy yet in its history.

Azza!

Club Cricketer

I don't believe anyone other than Botham/Gilchrist is worried - they could have moved it a bit further away from the Ashes. If any other sides were going to rest major players, then we should consider scrapping it.

If the ICC and respective boards were wanting to make more money, a Pro20 tournament would be the definite go. Crowds at the 2004 Champions Trophy in England weren't too fantastic, (Not many people were there to see New Zealand hit 125 off 10 overs against USA) and we know how easy it is to fill medium size stadiums for 20 over games. A format with either 8 or 12 sides would be good - I would prefer to see minnows in the Pro20 games as they can sometimes have a better chance of winning OR there will be more runs.

I enjoy the tournament, but perhaps they need to think a bit more carefully about when it is staged. Having a one-day series in preparation for massive Tests is useless and will result in near 'A' sides being used.

As it is a Champions Trophy, perhaps we should reduce it even further to say a round robin of 6 sides to improve the quality of cricket and back up the name. USA and Zimbabwe shouldn't be in the same line as 'Champions'.

I vote to keep it going as funds for the world game.

Azza!

Users who are viewing this thread