Skipper of Sri Lanka

Anish.

Panel of Selectors
Jayawardene gave up the captaincy,as he said "We need to move on to a younger leader" . The man is a great leader , it was time for him to move on . He also hinted that he would quit captaincy a couple of months back . The decision was to be announced after the series . Jayawardene will play his last game as captain of January 23rd 2013 . The new skipper may yet be Angelo Mathews . Jayawardene also said that he would not like to captain the said until a situtaion comes like SOS .

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
A highly under-rated persona in the cricketing world. He has scored numerous tons, but I have never been in awe of Jaya as much as Sanga.

I believe the next skipper will definitely be Angelo Mathews, thats what he is being groomed for.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I always rated him very highly but I kinda had to accept that he maybe wasn't quite as good as I was peddling because sri lanka played a number of very important series in a row (australia, england, south africa) and to be honest jaya went missing in all of them. it was a real chance to find a bit of form and put some teams to the sword which he didn't take.

I think he's a wonderful player when he's scoring though and has been one of the best captains of the era. it would be nice if he could go out with a bang and lead his team to a win in one of the tests against australia. (series win is a bit much to ask but 2-1 is possible, no one gave them a prayer winning a test in south africa)

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Been a bit disappointed with Mahela's captaincy in this Test. I remember last Aussie summer he was an excellent captain in the ODIs: willing to bring the field in to stop easy singles in the middle overs, and kept the odd attacking fielder in play as well. But this Test in Hobart he's been very passive. Deep point to Ed Cowan is a bit silly - particularly silly when the dude's on ZERO. For Warner I can understand, but not Cowan. Warner also slashed one through 3rd slip last night - no one there even though it was the new ball and he wasn't past 5 yet. Deep point did keep boundaries down in the first innings, but Hussey in particular milked runs brilliantly, and what they gained in economy they gave back through a lack of chances created. Against Wade in particular you don't want a deep point. Wade was out caught in the slips, trying to slash square a couple of times vs SA - you want to give him the carrot of a boundary and make him swing hard, rather than dropping the ball for singles.

And as Stinky says, his batting in this 2nd stint of captaincy has been disappointing too. First time around, I remember him doing quite well with the bat as captain. Oh well, we'll see how Mathews does.

Users who are viewing this thread