Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I was just reading that article. Elgar and Cook are solid too. It will be bad to drop them. It also stated that "difficult to make room for de Villiers, despite his reputation. Whether the pressure to find a place". I mean seriously ? ABD is one of the best player and they can't find place for him ?
AB or de Kock will have to open, which wil unsettle them for sure.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
AB or de Kock will have to open, which wil unsettle them for sure.
It's difficult for wkt kpr to open in Tests. And both cook and Elgar should stay. They should drop Bavuma. If they can't drop Bavuma due to Quota, then Duminy has to make way for ABD. But, SA will loose one part time spinner in the process and JP has been good recently.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Cook and Elgar and starting to become the best opening pair in world cricket. Would be pointless to drop them now. Bavuma has been riding his 100 on the Newlands road for too long and he should be dropped, there are a lot of better batsmen in the domestic circuit. But luckily our country values race over performance...

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I'm easily his biggest fan but De Villiers commitment to Tests has been a subject for a while. I think he's a patriotic chap and someone who truly treasures playing for SA. He has a young family and he's clearly obsessed about winning SA a major in the limited overs format. I think he really values and respects test cricket and wants to retire but he's finding it hard to let it go.

The solution in my opinion?

I think he should hand over the ODI captaincy to Faf, no matter how much the 2015 WC loss hurts him. He should simply play Tests and be allowed to pick and choose the limited overs he wants to play internationally, provided he's not choosing franchise over country. I think AB doesn't need to play any franchise cricket apart from the IPL considering the money he's paid. (deserves it)

There is a big lesson in this for the ICC and the boards around the world- Do not schedule tours during the IPL. I think if you gave players the freedom to simply go and play some high octane cricket and make a fortune out of it for a couple of months in the process learning from cricketers all over the world they won't get burnt out so quick.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
There is a big lesson in this for the ICC and the boards around the world- Do not schedule tours during the IPL. I think if you gave players the freedom to simply go and play some high octane cricket and make a fortune out of it for a couple of months in the process learning from cricketers all over the world they won't get burnt out so quick.
They will get burned out if there are tours before or after the IPL. So let's ban international cricket for one month before the IPL and for one month after the IPL. By the way, why doesn't the BCCI schedule the IPL during their home season? Oh, it's because it would make sense.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
They will get burned out if there are tours before or after the IPL. So let's ban international cricket for one month before the IPL and for one month after the IPL. By the way, why doesn't the BCCI schedule the IPL during their home season? Oh, it's because it would make sense.

Don't talk nonsense. The BCCI doesn't need to alter anything. It funds a vast majority of the revenue cricket generates and obviously they will get priority on some matters. I have no interest to support the BCCI because I think it's a corrupt governing body but there is no question that they have looked after our cricketers and cricketers around the globe really well. In layman's terms, people don't fear taking cricket up as a profession anymore because of the IPL. The facilities are fantastic and I don't understand why boards around the world act so sour about their cricketers making a quick buck. They also learn an awful lot because of the league and if standards in limited overs cricket have gone up in the past 10 years, I'd say the IPL has contributed a HUGE amount to it. It is also a big reason why Pakistan totally suck at the format. They're frankly like headless chickens without an opportunity to learn.

I like to call a spade a spade and while the money laundering, betting, facilities for spectators at grounds and banning of Pakistan from the league is spit worthy, the standard of cricket, facilities and player welfare is world class.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England

Doesn't exactly make much sense though when De Villiers is going to be missing the end of the IPL anyway due to the England v South Africa ODI series and playing the test series wouldn't have clashed with anything.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
It is also a big reason why Pakistan totally suck at the format. They're frankly like headless chickens without an opportunity to learn
That's exactly the reason why we whitewashed the West Indies. But we're getting off topic here, so I'll respond to your whole post another day.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Doesn't exactly make much sense though when De Villiers is going to be missing the end of the IPL anyway due to the England v South Africa ODI series and playing the test series wouldn't have clashed with anything.

I'm not hinting at the de Villiers saga as of now. It's been a 10 year long drawn battle. Some tour always clashed with the IPL. AB is clearly feeling spent. I think money at this stage in his life has little to do with his decisions because he's made a good living for himself even if he chooses to quit cricket today. He's simply torn about representing SA every day of his life and at the same time managing his drive and body along with a young family. You just look at some of the scheduling over the years. It's a bloody joke.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
That's exactly the reason why we whitewashed the West Indies. But we're getting off topic here, so I'll respond to your whole post another day.

Whitewashing WI isn't something to be very proud of, that too a 3 match series. Exactly which high profile series or major have Pakistan done well at? You can choose not to reply and it's your prerogative but the reality is that not being part of the IPL really has hurt Pakistan. People are making a big hoopla about the PSL, CPL and the BPL but the quality and quantity of world class cricketers in the IPL is second to none. The Big Bash is alright but the IPL is clearly the jewel in the crown. I'm not trying to boast about the money in the IPL or because it belongs to my country. I'm simply appreciating the fact that the best of the best want to be part of it even at the cost of national commitments sometimes. It's no co-incidence that KP, the only Englishman in that era who played the league was head and shoulders above the rest of the dressing room. It's not just the money, it's the learning and development that comes with it.

RUDI

Administrator
Admin
SRH...
Champions League Winner
Cricket South Africa to launch new [HASHTAG]#T20[/HASHTAG] Global Destination League in 2017

“We are excited to see our star Protea players in action with all Protea players available to play in the tournament. Eight star South African players will be pre-assigned to each of the teams. There will be over 120 participating players with over 80 spots for South Africans. In addition, this tournament will reach its crescendo at the start of the summer holiday season which will make it particularly attractive to our youth" commented Mr. Nenzani

Cricket South Africa to launch new [HASHTAG]#T20[/HASHTAG] Global Destination League in 2017

CSA President excited by Big Name International Players participating in South African [HASHTAG]#T20[/HASHTAG] Global Destination League | Cricket News India & International, Match Schedule, Scores, Report and Ranking: Wisden India

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Lost all respect for AB. Should be fully committed. I would rather see him never picked again now...

Good for you, but your wishes aren't coming true anytime soon. I don't understand why people take it upon themselves to judge great sportsman when they take a decision for their family or their own well being.

Would it be pleasing for them to see a great cricketer and true patriot of the country play half heartedly and not have his head and heart in it?

It's easy for us here, keyboard experts. I've played cricket at a very basic level, but due to other things we need to do in life, I had to move cities. I still play the game, but I miss the camaraderie and the friendships I built over the years. More than anything, if on any Sunday I'm seated in front of the tele and my WhatsApp group shows updates for the game and I see my side in trouble at say 20/2, there's nothing more I feel like doing than putting the pads on and playing for those team mates and the team again. If I can generate that sort of passion at such a silly level of the game, I can only imagine the sacrifice he's making by letting go.

Make no mistake, he must earn his stripes to get back in the test side, but he has absolutely full rights to decide if he wants to take a brake from a particular format. If you ask me, Ab has played his last test match. If he sees SA batting established and healthy, he will do what's best for the team and not create any ripples. He's a champion, a legend and a patriot some SA fans don't deserve. Come over to India sometime.. You will see what I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread