South Africa Team Discussion

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
A lot of the squad players aren't the second or even third best in the country. They get picked to meet certain targets and keep the politico's happy. There are quite a few talented players who aren't in this squad due to certain issues...

What squad would you choose Stefan If you were to pick a squad of 15 for South Africa without any restrictions? I was a bit surprised when Parnell got selected instead of Ryan McLaren. I was also hoping to see Marchant de Lange in the squad as he bowls with good pace and bowls very well at the death.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
@stefan What has happened with Parnell? When I first saw him in the U19 World Cup, he was one of the standout players alongside Kohli, and a few others. He looked like a real find. However, his career seems to have taken a huge nosedive. Whenever I see him now, he doesn't even seem bothered with cricket. Shame.

stefan

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
@stefan What has happened with Parnell? When I first saw him in the U19 World Cup, he was one of the standout players alongside Kohli, and a few others. He looked like a real find. However, his career seems to have taken a huge nosedive. Whenever I see him now, he doesn't even seem bothered with cricket. Shame.

He never developed. Think he got too big too soon. Though his ipl deal meant he had arrived and didn't put in the effort needed to be consistent. On his 1/100 days he is a match winner, the problem is on the others he loses us the match..

stefan

International Coach
What squad would you choose Stefan If you were to pick a squad of 15 for South Africa without any restrictions? I was a bit surprised when Parnell got selected instead of Ryan McLaren. I was also hoping to see Marchant de Lange in the squad as he bowls with good pace and bowls very well at the death.

De lange should be there instead of parnell, Simon harmer should be there instead of phangiso and albie morkel/david wiese/robbie frylink should be there instead of behardien.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
oh stop complaining about the bloody "politics", this is essentially the same group of players who were winning matches pre-WC now you're all complaining cos SA are doing what they've always done. Jeez!

stefan

International Coach
oh stop complaining about the bloody "politics", this is essentially the same group of players who were winning matches pre-WC now you're all complaining cos SA are doing what they've always done. Jeez!

The question was asked why our squad depth isn't as good as other teams at the world cup. Was answering the question. If you don't like my answers you are welcome to use the ignore feature...

The first 11 if they play to their potential is still good enough to beat most/if not all. Will see how the world cup pans out.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
The question was asked why our squad depth isn't as good as other teams at the world cup. Was answering the question. If you don't like my answers you are welcome to use the ignore feature...

The first 11 if they play to their potential is still good enough to beat most/if not all. Will see how the world cup pans out.

The only squads better than SA are AUS and NZ....what other teams have better squads? LOL come on man.

Every time I see SA lose, it's always down to "politics" or "positive discrimination" or the "quota system". Take some responsibility.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Every time I see SA lose, it's always down to "politics" or "positive discrimination" or the "quota system". Take some responsibility.

I agree with this. Its something that you see blamed whenever South Africa don't do well in cricket; and the fact that people seem to automatically assume that South Africa's best team is eleven white people (or ten, plus Amla) troubles me. Yes ideally you'd hope that the only condition would be ability but in the real world that isn't the case anytime, anywhere even when on paper it is.

stefan

International Coach
I agree with this. Its something that you see blamed whenever South Africa don't do well in cricket; and the fact that people seem to automatically assume that South Africa's best team is eleven white people (or ten, plus Amla) troubles me. Yes ideally you'd hope that the only condition would be ability but in the real world that isn't the case anytime, anywhere even when on paper it is.

No people have no problem with the likes of Duminy,Amla or Tahir in the team because they are there on merit and their stats back them up. People have an issue when players are picked to meet certain targets. Would have no issue with the likes of radaba getting picked as he is a real talent, future star.

Also pretty sure the SA cricket team is the only one at this world cup where the minister threatened to withdraw funding if the team wasn't representative...

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
No people have no problem with the likes of Duminy,Amla or Tahir in the team because they are there on merit and their stats back them up. People have an issue when players are picked to meet certain targets. Would have no issue with the likes of radaba getting picked as he is a real talent, future star.

Also pretty sure the SA cricket team is the only one at this world cup where the minister threatened to withdraw funding if the team wasn't representative...

SA is the only team to also have come out of racial segregation a little over 2 decades ago so there are certain factors that need to be taken into account.

stefan

International Coach
SA is the only team to also have come out of racial segregation a little over 2 decades ago so there are certain factors that need to be taken into account.

Which should be applied at club and domestic level not national team level...

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
that'd be my way of doing that sort of thing; but when South Africa introduced a quota of one black player in franchise squads there were people here calling it unfair and what not. You're probably cool and all and represent the majority of South African fans; but my general feelings are biased by seeing people in other places call literally every non-white player (and that includes Tahir and Duminy) "quota players" and opposing quotas at lower levels while ignoring the fact that the legacy of apartheid still kinda exists in South Africa. They are probably the minority but they are very loud on the internet

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Which should be applied at club and domestic level not national team level...

That's just a start, in SA, much like here in England, cricket is still restricted to a select few schools where people from certain racial and financial backgrounds attend, the divide is far greater in SA so the non white population needs wide reform, simply limiting it to schools and the domestic leagues does not help.

Anyway, we're going off point. This SA team should not have lost to India. Bottom line.

Users who are viewing this thread